GO!

Will a closed litter box help the smell?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Nugget

I can never get- enough sleep.

Purred: Wed Nov 6, '13 7:16pm PST 
We've had cats for a few years now. We still can't get over that poopy smell! We always have to lite a candle and clean the poo out right away. It tends to be a lot of work. Would a closed litter box or storage container with the box in it work to keep the smell contained? What litter do you used to keep the smell on the DL? We prefer to not have anything with fake secents it always seems to make the smell worse. Any help is appreciatedsmile
-- Nuggets mom
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Nov 7, '13 9:08am PST 
A better diet will help smile Fillers, by products, grains nd other poor quality junk ingredients makes poop smell horrible shock These things aren't very digestible by the body so it just passes through and comes out as poop shrug A more digestible high quality diet will result in smaller firmer less stinky poop way to go You can read more about proper diet at Catinfo.org Canned or raw food are best for cats. Cats who eat raw food have nearly odorless poop big grin Canned food is the most convenient for most people to feed. Look for a grain-free brand. Wellness, Merrick Before Grain, Nature's Variety Instinct, and Blue Buffalo Wilderness are some good brands of canned food.

An enclosed box may seem like a good idea but you're just trapping the odor inside the box. Cats have very sensitive noses and they don't like to go potty in a stinky place shrug

Frequent scooping will help. You can also sprinkle baking soda or use a litter that contains baking soda to control odors.
[notify]

Bingo

That's "Sir- Bingo," to you.- ;)

Purred: Fri Nov 8, '13 2:33am PST 
A closed litter box will keep the smell in but like Merlin said it may turn off your cat and then she will find another less smelly place to go. World's Best Cat litter is a good choice but not all cats like it. Dr Elsey's Precious Cat isn't bad and Nature's Miracle is decent.

How often are you scooping and have you considered a litter genie?
[notify]

Nugget

Purred: Fri Nov 8, '13 6:24am PST 
Mom scoops 3 times and then scoops every time I poo. Once mom scoops she puts the poo and pee right into the garage. Mom is buying a Litter Genie today.
[notify]

Cali

The Most- Beautiful Girl- In The World

Purred: Fri Nov 8, '13 1:06pm PST 
A closed or "hooded" litter box is about the worst choice you can make. Most cats feel trapped in one of those and they will find another place to do their business
[notify]

Katie

Purred: Sat Nov 9, '13 10:21am PST 
Neither of us minds the enclosed box, as long as it's kept clean. You might as well give it a shot, and just be aware that some kitties don't care for it.

We have to have an enclosed, top-entry box because our doggy brother will er...use his own methods to clean up our poop otherwise! 0.0
[notify]

Candie

Leave me alone!

Purred: Sun Nov 10, '13 12:34pm PST 
I have a small open litter pan in the bathroom. I found that Candie is lazy and sometimes covers. The better that she cover the better it is for me not to smell it. Are your cats super good at covering? They get rushed they may not and that is a big problem. A covered pan might make that worse.

I had a Litter Genie. The refills are pricy. It was too tall to tuck next in my bathroom. I ended up with a smal rlow profile ectangular trash can I got at Target. You step on the pedal and it opens. Most of the time I grab the lip on the top and open it to put the waste in the can. I used 8 gallon vanilla trash bags from Kmart to line the plastic removeable trash can container inside the stainless holday. $35 for the can and $5 for 30 trash bags. It keeps the odor in. I used the Dr. Elsey and Tide Cat Litter. I got a deal on a Arm & Hammer Utlra Last and it smell wonderful. To get the odor gone in seconds, I have air freshener by Febreze, the air effects one. That fine mist kills the odor fast for my tiny bathroom.

I to do not feed food with corn, wheat or soy. They like the ones with rice, oatmeal, barley and millet. They did not like the potato, sweet potato or pea ones.
[notify]

Oliver

Purred: Sun Nov 10, '13 5:27pm PST 
We got a Litter Genie and that's been helping. We found an alternative to the refills so we only spend about a dollar or two on refills. We use regular litter from Target that I add a lot of Baking Soda to. Since joining this website I've been planning on change diet, litter, and a few other things. Once we run out of food and litter.
[notify]

Nugget

Purred: Sun Nov 10, '13 5:27pm PST 
We got a Litter Genie and that's been helping. We found an alternative to the refills so we only spend about a dollar or two on refills. We use regular litter from Target that I add a lot of Baking Soda to. Since joining this website I've been planning on change diet, litter, and a few other things. Once we run out of food and litter.
[notify]

Candie

Leave me alone!

Purred: Mon Nov 11, '13 4:00pm PST 
Did you see that the Litter Genie Plus is at Patsmart? Did you also see this a BLACK FRIDAY Special?? Google it an see. It will be $9.99
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2