GO!

worst smelling cat ever..

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Lady

Purred: Tue Aug 6, '13 9:18am PST 
yes, I have a stink problem. are some cats just smellier than others? my poo smells so bad it makes eyes water, and of course I will not cover it. I always use the box though and it never smells since its cleaned all the time. I eat grain free dry and wet food. Does anyone have any ideas to help my stinky problem?
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Aug 6, '13 5:51pm PST 
Poor diet can result in realy stinky poop shrug Grains, fillers, and other junk typical of cheap food can cause stinky poop. What do you eat? A high quality diet results in more of the food being digested and used by the body and less coming out as poop. Raw food feeders will attest to this - very little to no poop odor and the poop is mostly dry. But not everyone can or wants to feed raw so try to feed the highest quality grain-free food that you will eat. Pet stores sell lots of grain-free brands now: Wellness Core, Nature's Variety Instinct, Blue Buffalo, etc.
[notify]

Lady

Purred: Thu Aug 8, '13 9:37pm PST 
as I said in my original response, I feed high quality dry and wet food. I know it is better for her but the Purina she was on before produced a lot less stink.
[notify]

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Thu Oct 3, '13 5:19pm PST 
How long has she been on the grain-free food? I know some pets take a few weeks or even months to stop being stinky after a diet change...
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Thu Oct 3, '13 8:53pm PST 
It's Stella. Our cat now at the Bridge had the WORST smelling poop ever--they could have used it for a chemical weapon! shock He ate very healthy food, too, although he did love to consume people food, especially ice cream. He did have intestinal problems that you might not have, as he had part of his intestine removed due to a growth, so he had less to digest with. But he also had been infected with giarda, possibly when he was at the hospital after his surgery, and we were never sure if it had been eradicated. Plus all of the antibiotics they gave him might have killed off his good intestinal bacteria. Giarda is becoming a very common infection, so you might get some of that toxic poo analyzed by a professional lab.

There are probiotics especially for cats available. We never tried them but others have reported success. We also had good luck with Febreze air freshener sprayed right after the dire event. Doesn't help the kitty but the rest of you have to breathe, too.
[notify]

Katie

Purred: Sun Oct 6, '13 10:03pm PST 
If you haven't already - you might have the vet check the stool for anything. Some parasites can produce amazing odors on the poop, and it would be an easy fix!
[notify]

Miko

Purred: Mon Oct 7, '13 6:23am PST 
Agreeing with others! I switched my pet's from one high end diet to another recently, and their poop has made my house smell like a septic tank. It's been a few weeks and it's starting to level off finally, so I'm pretty sure it's the diet change. This was without any diarrhea, either. It was just STANK.

Giardia normally causes diarrhea. Either way you might want to get him checked for parasites. But since you're asking this here, I'm guessing he's not having diarrhea? You could try a probiotic to see if that helps. Everyone seems to suggest fortiflora. It's a bit expensive, but they LOVE the taste, so it helps!
[notify]