GO!

cat pooping in sink

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Em

Purred: Tue Mar 19, '13 5:42pm PST 
For the past week my cat has been pooping in the bathroom sink rather than in the litter box that is about 3 feet away. In the past he has occasionally gone in the bathtub or right outside the litterbox, but is usually loyal to his litterbox. Does anybody have tips about what I can do to stop this?
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Tue Mar 19, '13 7:31pm PST 
My first thought when this happens is usually maybe he doesn't like the cat litter. One of my cats, at one point, was doing this on the couch. Maybe the small, tiny, grainy type of scoopable litter, he doesn't like? I would get several boxes, try some feline pine in one. Feline pine is great at first, because it doesn't get into their toes. It does turn to sawdust as it breaks down, but it's very soft, and one of my cats loves it, so I have one box with that in it. You dn't have to put more than an inch in the box, and then just change it out every few days...you have to use way less of it than scoopable, and my grocery store sells a bag of it for $3.99. You can usually find it pretty cheap. Maybe try Yesterday's News also. When I ahd this problem on the couch, I had 4 litter boxes all around, so that there was always one close by, with different types of litter in them. If the litter box got too dirty, one of my cats would go outside of it, so make sure you keep it very clean....that is usually another reason they will go elsewhere. Is there another cat in the house? One of my cats bullies the other one in the box, so he won't go to one of hte boxes, but prefers one in another room, the one with feline pine. If the cat is declawed (I have one that is), they sometimes will go out of the box because they don't like the feel of the litter in their toes. My declawed cat prefers the Breeze litter box, which the litter is big, similar in size to feline pine, and doesn't get in her toes. Of course, it could be another reason, but this is probably where I would start. You can buy cheap storage containers or even use a lid from a paper box, or something similar, to make extra litter boxes to have around. Oh, also, one cat will not go anywhere near a litter box that has a lid....he is terrified of it (add that to the list of 100 other things he is scared of), so if your litter box has a lid, try taking it off. Also, someitmes they don't like the location of the box. If they don't feel safe in the spot it's in, they won't use it...which is why having several sporadically here and there is a good idea, because you may find that he is comfortable in one spot versus another spot. It may be too loud, could be near a fan or something that clicks on and makes a noise, like the air conditioner. Just thinking of possibilities. Good luck, I have been there, but we got it figured out, and hopefully you will too.
[notify]

Em

Purred: Tue Mar 19, '13 7:59pm PST 
The weird thing is that he has been using this same box for a year and half, nothing has changed, and we keep it clean. We have a second litter box (2 cats) but he has never liked the other one. Is it possible that he suddenly doesn't like his regular litter box?
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Wed Mar 20, '13 2:03am PST 
Any inappropriate elimination is worth getting checked out by the vet. Cats tend to avoid the litter box when a health problem causes them to associate the box with pain. Once a physical issue has been diagnosed and treated or ruled out, then you can approach it as behavioral.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing, Em! hug

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Thu Mar 21, '13 8:17pm PST 
I just thought of one thing. Once, Beep started going outside of her litter box, and I realized that even though I kept it clean, it was getting old. It was the kind that had a hood to it, and she had been fine with that kind, but it was old, so we threw it out and got a new one, and she was better. I had just watched a "cat from hell" episode, and he had mentioned that one reason he thought a cat was having elimination issues was the box was one of those kinds that you tilt to sift the poop out and by doing so, the stuff inside gets on the sides and top of the box, and he thought that was a bad type of box, because cats will be "put off" by having the smell of poop/pee around them. They are generally pretty clean animals, so they don't like that. When we did get a nice, new, fresh litter box, she took to using it again and we had no more problems, so it might be worth it to get a new one and see if that could be part of the issue? It's like a detective game with cats when they have this problem, trying to figure out what is causing them to do it.
[notify]