GO!

Meow About the Litter Genie Cat Litter Disposal System

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 5 of 8: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Fri Dec 7, '12 1:35pm PST 
Here is the deal I found today while out shopping. At Target, the unit is $14.95. So print the $10 off coupon at www.smartsource.com. And you also get a $5 Target gift card. So it is basically free.

I checked the prices of the bag refill prices. At Petco, the one refill is $9.99. At Target, a one refill is $7.99. The double pack is $14.99 and through 2/8 it will give you a $5 target gift card on the double pack.

This week I found that not as many of the cats peed in our bathroom litter box. So Candie and only part time peer Brownie used the litter box this week. I was able to go 7 days without changing the Litter Genie bag. So one cat is 7 or 8 days before the bag is filled.
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Sun Dec 9, '12 2:00pm PST 
Also if you go on the Litter Genie website you can get coupons there too on both new units & refills. I liked it so much, I got a second one. With 5 litter boxes & four kitty behinds making deposits - no stinkies..truly..awesome
[notify]

Edwina- (Angel Eddy)- DG#1

Big Paw

Purred: Mon Dec 10, '12 2:46pm PST 
applauseapplause I really love the Litter Genie cheer
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Mon Dec 10, '12 8:07pm PST 
Hey cool cats! wave

Sorry for being late to the party, we've had a lot of stuff going on around here the last couple of weeks. frown

So far, it seems OK. It controls odor pretty well. way to go

When mom initially tried to get it set up, the bag kept tearing (pics below) and she wound up wasting at least a foot of the plastic from the beginning of the cartridge. confused

With two cats in the house, she still had to haul out the dirty litter every other day. Now that it's just me, it seems to be taking a lot longer to fill. One bag might last five days to a week.

So far, it's been pretty good, but mom's not sure if it's really better than her old system, which was recycling shopping bags into dirty litter bags and then sealing them inside an empty Tidy Cats tub until she was ready to take them to the dumpster. The bags were free and the ones from our local pet supply store were even biodegradable! She doesn't see anything on the Litter Genie bags that says biodegradable or even made from recycled plastic (does anycat's human read it differently?).
shrug

So...we're going to keep using the Litter Genie for now. What winds up working best long-term, we'll see! laugh out loud

Pictures:

Litter Locker arrives

Litter Locker out of the box

New Litter Locker,ready for assembly

Litter Locker tools

Litter Locker bag, ready to attempt installation

Bag installation, first attempt

Bag installation, second attempt

Bag finally installed successfully

LItter Locker, ready to go!

Slyvy

I will rule the- world right- after a nap

Purred: Tue Dec 11, '12 7:04am PST 
Some how I missed week two. I'm not sure how that happened, well, actually I do. I've been working 60 hours the past few weeks so it just completely slipped my mind.

I'll be honest. I never would have bought the litter genie for myself. It just looks like a gimmicky toy. However, I LOVE it!
You can't smell the litter at all!
Everything you need is in one spot.

I love this thing!
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Tue Dec 11, '12 8:44am PST 
I confess that I have really grown to like my Genie. Once I figured how much to put in at one time, how to open the bottom, how to cut the bag properly, how much new bag to pull out, it got very easy. I usually change the bag out every 3-4 days. It contains odor well, I like not having to use double plastic grocery bags, and even the trash can where the used litter goes doesn't smell bad! What's not to like? I really thought Genie was just a gimmick that would serve no useful purpose, but I have been converted!
[notify]

Brownie

I'm the Alpha- cat!

Purred: Tue Dec 11, '12 2:27pm PST 
I will continue to use the Litter Genie as long as I have a pan up stairs for Candie. It controls the odor and gives me back the tiny bathroom trash can. The bags are strong. But the design of the scoop holder did not work in my tiny bathroom. This is not a lose for me since I preferred my litter scoop that I already had. The unit is a little too tall for me next to my only spot in the bathroom next to the toilet by the bathtub. Some days I do not get the unit in the right spot after using it and it gets to close to the toilet. When we sit on the toilet it is to close for comfort. The cost of the bag refills is the another drawn back. Somewhere I read the cartridge lasts 10 weeks and at the Target price of a single refill that is $0.79 a week for me before tax based on my cats useage.

I so wish that they will from time to time offer coupons for the refills. So at this point Target looks to have the cheaper bag refills. But it is my goal to get Candie to feel less scared and get her back to the basement litter pans. I have 6 pans that I clean once a week for my 3 cats in the basement. (I use a bucket lined with a grocery bag to clean the pans on trash night.) So my over all rating of the Litter Genie is 4 out of 5 paws mainly because of the height and cost of bags it is not a perfect score.
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Wed Dec 12, '12 6:50pm PST 
If you sign up at their website, you can get some more coupons. I do agree that the expense is a thought. I mostly use my own cloth bags at the grocery store, so I don't usually have many plastic bags to use. I also started using biodegradable litter. I would like to see a biodegradable bag, then the whole thing will break down. It will be helpful for me when I move my office upstairs, I will have a litter box in there, so it will be handy to have the Genie in there. I have not run out of bags yet, and believe me with 4 kitties, I am packing that thing! I do give it 4 paws up for controlling the odor that's for sure! All in all, I do like the Genie. Enough that I did get another one - granted it was basically free too with coupons. Now the one I bought said the bag refill is now larger size, so maybe they are making them with more bag material. cat on moon
[notify]

Zeus

I live to- protect my- human.

Purred: Thu Dec 13, '12 7:54am PST 
it has been interesting reading ya'lls thoughts on this - I'll have my husband read it too - I've seen the ads and kinda thought - geeze what a way to get people to buy stuff. I have little poopers It's a pain to do the litter pans (esp b/c I have a hard time bending over due to back issues) and maybe this will help b/c I won't have to stoop over as much. Esp if the Target coupon is still good! I like free LOL
[notify]

Earl Grey

I love my mommy- Cree!

Purred: Sun Dec 16, '12 4:08pm PST 
I got the 2-pack refills today at Target (finally ran out of bags). I was expecting the $5 card back, but they said it didn't apply to the refills. frown
[notify]

(Page 5 of 8: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8