GO!

a litter box for multi cat home?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

bed- Snatchers

we steal bed- space.

Purred: Sat Aug 11, '12 12:34am PST 
I have 5 furry babies (well they're not really babies any more :-P) the thing is they are currently using two litter boxes but the demand of being a college student and being away most hours of the day causes me to occasionally forget to clean their litter boxes naturally, i find litter surprises around the house.

I have been thinking of getting an electric litter box for awhile now, but I don't know which one. the cat genie looks too small and i don't think my oldest will like it also she is pretty big but on the short side, plus you need to hook it up to water. confused
I was thinking either littermaid or smart scoop. i currently use Dr. elsy's litter sand and i love it.
anyone has any recommendation?thinking
[notify]

Smithwick

Tigger is my- favorite!

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '12 3:02pm PST 
Honestly 2 boxes for 5 kitties is really not enough. You are finding surprises, because they want to go in a clean box. I think it is a good diea that you are looking at the self cleaning ones, especially if you do not have the space for the technically 6 boxes you should have. I have heard the Tidy Cat Breeze is pretty good. Keep us posted as to what you try.
[notify]

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '12 7:28pm PST 
There is a saying that you need one more litter box than you have cats. If you have five cats, you need six litter boxes. Please don't place them in one area. Some cats will attack another while they use a litter box. It is good if you have two different areas for the litter boxes. I don't have the automatic one. My daughter did and it didn't last long. It should be cleaned every day. Cats love a clean litter box and will avoid a dirty one.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Wed Aug 29, '12 8:30am PST 
I tried the Litter Maid automatic box many years ago and didn't like it all. The rake was constantly getting clogged with clumps and/or stuck.
[notify]

bed- Snatchers

we steal bed- space.

Purred: Fri Aug 31, '12 10:10pm PST 
I am sorry for the late respond it has been a busy month for me.

first i want to say thank you everyone for your comments.
about the amount of littler boxes, sadly i don't have the space for 6 litter boxes, i live in an approximately 700 (maybe 800)sqf , 2 small bedrooms, apartment. there is no space for 6 boxes, three maybe.

i ended up buying the smart scoop, and I love it!! no more surprises plus it's pretty quiet, i'm sure it is not the most perfect electronic box, and i do believe there is a better way of making these boxes so they will live many years (I am sure it will die sooner or later) but it is doing it's purpose. i have also kept one regular litter box which i clean daily, and i change the bag in the smart scoop box everyday tops two days (as it fills up that quickly) and add a bit of litter.
[notify]

Smithwick

Tigger is my- favorite!

Purred: Sat Sep 1, '12 2:33pm PST 
thanks for letting us know what you tried. As I said, there prob is not room for that many. I have 5, but they are in the basement in different areas. I have a couple different litters out for them. I was thinking of trying an auto bx myself.
[notify]