GO!

Cat pee in rental

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Sat May 12, '12 8:46pm PST 
I recently moved into a new rental place, and when I looked at the house initially I did notice a strong cat pee smell coming from the bathroom but chalked it up to having the litterbox in the bathroom. Well .... the smell is still there. I can't pinpoint where it's coming from, but my guess is it's seeped into the flooring (linoleum tiles with somewhat irregular spaces between) and into the caulking around the toilet and baseboard. silenced

The landlord claims he doesn't really smell anything, but washed down the bathroom with vinegar. It didn't help. It's so strong that it will knock you over when you open the door. shock So, what do I use to clean it? I know I need an enzymatic cleaner ... Nature's Miracle? Any thoughts on how to clean caulking, or should I offer to dig it out and re-do it?

Help, we are near passing out from the stench LOL eek
[notify]

Jack

Purred: Sun May 13, '12 8:53pm PST 
Nature's Miracle works really well at cleaning up cat pee. It should work well for you.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Mon May 14, '12 5:01am PST 
Isabelle, try getting a black light and maybe you can see where the cat pee is. That way you'll definiately get to the root of the problem. If things are white, maybe you could try bleach?

Good Luck!
[notify]

Eko

Mr. Eko - dark, but- good-hearted

Purred: Mon May 14, '12 6:11am PST 
I hate to be negative, but I think if it has seeped under the flooring through cracks (as your post suggested) the only way to really get it is to remove the flooring, do a thorough cleaning, then lay new flooring. (And, I don't know much about what might be under bathroom flooring, but if it is concrete, I know that concrete is absorbent so cleaning odors from it could be next to impossible. Wooden baseboards could probably absorb liquid and be difficult to really clean well too.)

The blacklight idea is good though, maybe you will see something.

Edited by author Mon May 14, '12 6:12am PST

[notify]

Bodrouex

all you need is- love

Purred: Mon May 14, '12 1:01pm PST 
Google Magic Zymes and apply a large enough quantity to get it soaking wet allowing it to soak in THOROUGHLY, do not blot but let it dry naturally and the smell will go. I have whole males and females here...this product WORKS and is far, far superior to Nature's Miracle, Odo-ban or any other. PLUS it has no perfume added (it actually eliminates the odor, is not a masking agent)and is nontoxic. I even had an entire male pee HEAVILY on my friends car cARPET, AND IT WAS too late at night and we were too tired to try to wash it right then. I added a whole bunch of magic-zymes, and in the morning--no need to even clean it, we could smell NOTHING and the smell never came back either.
You have to order this online, it's not in stores. A bit pricey but worth it
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Mon May 14, '12 5:37pm PST 
I haven't used the Zymes, but for accidents on the concrete in my screened porch, I basically flood the area with Nature's Miracle & let it dry - sometimes it would take a couple doses.
[notify]

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Mon May 14, '12 6:22pm PST 
Well I used a whole bottle of Nature's Miracle yesterday and literally wet the entire bathroom floor and baseboards. I let it dry completely on it's own and then wiped the floor with plain water to get rid of the sticky feel it left behind. Unfortunately, it still stinks. thinking

I agree that the flooring and baseboards are going to have to be replaced, but I'm humoring the landlord by trying everything else first (which I can understand - I wouldn't want to replace all that if I didn't have to either). So tomorrow we're trying bleach and this weekend he's going to do another sniff test. After that he wants to try painting the walls and baseboards.

Thanks all!
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Tue May 15, '12 12:56am PST 
You might try vinegar again. Sure, your landlord *says* he used it, but maybe it wasn't really enough. If ammonia is the strongest smell, vinegar should help to neutralize it.

Hoping one of the suggestions posted here helps! Keep us posted! hug

Jack

Purred: Tue May 15, '12 8:04am PST 
Painting won't fix the issue unfortunately. I hope you don't have to resort to reflooring everything.
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Tue May 15, '12 6:53pm PST 
We still think the magic zymes will work or at least is worth a try. It's 10x as good as Natures miracle--and won't leave residue.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2