GO!

She peed behind the TV

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Elika

You don't own me- I own you

Purred: Thu May 10, '12 11:45am PST 
So Elika is 2 she turns 3 in August.

I've always been great about keeping her litter box clean upstairs in my room. My mom will not allow a litter box downstairs because the one rule of keeping the cat is making sure she doesn't have to SEE or SMELL the litter box. And that was that there was no problem.

Well litter box is clean..she's in perfect health, we had a recent thorough exam at the vet and she checked out good and healthy..but still she peed behind our large TV.

I can't even understand why..the only "change" that happened was I decided to see how she would do on a leash outside..so I harnessed her up took her out no farther than our front porch and left the door wide open..she CHOSE to go back inside and I let her. After that I did not force anything on her, removed the harness and decided I wasn't going to bother to try again..she had spoken she wishes to stay inside.

Is there something I'm missing? shrug
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Thu May 10, '12 3:46pm PST 
What do you feed? I suspect that, is the culprit. Kitties pee, not in the cat box, because they associate the pain with the box. She most likely has a urinary/bladder infection. Only way to tell, is to take her to the vet, and get a clean catch. They insert a needle into the bladder, take out some urine, then test it, to see if the urine is too concentrated, which would burn the bladder walls, and/or if she has bacteria in her urine.

Bump, from the Bridge
[notify]

Elika

Purred: Thu May 10, '12 9:29pm PST 
She eats Nature's Recipe and she has been to the vet recently and she checked out completely healthy.
[notify]

Cruiser

Top 25 Winner- Region 1- 2011-2012

Purred: Fri May 11, '12 3:48am PST 
Wet or dry? When you say she checked out completly healthy, what exactly, did the vet check?
[notify]

Elika

Purred: Fri May 11, '12 12:51pm PST 
dry food only i can not afford wet food. They checked everything thorough screenings blood work everything.

Edited by author Fri May 11, '12 12:56pm PST

[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Fri May 11, '12 8:40pm PST 
A urinalasys is the only way, to tell, if they have a UTI, it doesn't show up, on a blood panel or an x-ray. Feeding dry, only, is the culprit. I understand if you cannot afford to feed wet, it is very expensive. Kitties do not get enuff water, by theirselfs, just drinking water out of the bowl. In the wild, they would get if from their prey, hence, why we feed wet.

You have to keep them flushed out, and their urine diluted. If you cannot feed wet, you can also do this by feeding 1 teaspoon Gerber baby food, chicken or turkey only, mixed with water, so its like a broth, twice a day.

Bump, from the Bridge
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Sun May 13, '12 3:44pm PST 
Bumpurr/Cruiser is right that if a urinalysis wasn't done at her last checkup, it's probably necessary to go back to the vet and have one done to rule out a urinary tract infection.

As far as water goes, if you're feeding dry food, there are some things you can try to encourage her to drink more. Provide her with multiple sources of water. Offer her filtered water instead of regular tap water (it will taste better). Some cats prefer cold water--you could keep the water in the refrigerator and refill her bowl often, or even put a couple of ice cubes in her bowl. You can get her a drinking fountain (a lot of them even filter the water for taste). Just a few ideas...

Good luck! Keep us posted. hug

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon May 14, '12 10:04am PST 
Elka, the other posters are correct - this is most like a urinary issue caused by a dry food diet. I know canned is expensive, but so are vet bills! A cat is physically not able to drink enough fluids to make up for a kibble diet. You can try drinking fountains and all the rest, but it will be difficult to get enough water in her to keep her kidneys and urinary tract flushed out. How about trying a cheap canned food with water added for at least one meal a day? Hope this helps.
[notify]

Elika

Purred: Mon May 21, '12 4:44pm PST 
The problem was solved. It was a simple fact that a cat outside urinated near the house and she was being territoral.

Also Elika does drink a LOT of water. She drinks it from the sink as well as her water bowl so she's definitely getting more than enough water lol.
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Tue May 22, '12 7:50am PST 
I wanted to add on this, though I see the problems been solved....having had a cat that did prefer dry....they do need some canned food....both for their coat and for their Urinary and digestive tract. We found this out as my older guy aged. What about friskies? You can get friskies in a large can for 79-99 cents in many places.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2