GO!

Litter box issues

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Baybee (in- loving- memory)

Attack of the 3- legged Demon

Purred: Tue Aug 2, '11 8:00pm PST 
I have litter box issues and it bothers my human. She's about to give me to a special rescue called Best friends Animal Sanctuary - but I know it breaks her heart.

I keep pooping outside the litter box - I don't know why! I'll pee in the litter box -but go outside to poop. She's tried almost every type of litter. I'll use it for a day or two then, go back to going on the floor - yes I'm a stubborn 3 legged girl! I miss my leg!

I won't use a covered litter box at all - the 12 year old cat hates the crystals - and we all hate the cat attract stuff. The other kitties like the Arm and Hammer Double Duty - but it doesn't matter what it is.

Can anyone help me?? She has enough litter boxes - they are cleaned daily, when I go on the floor its cleaned and descented. But she has little humans and can't have me pooping
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Mon Aug 15, '11 12:59pm PST 
could Baybee maybe feel unsteady standing in the litter as she poops? My suggestion would be maybe a large plastic mat so that at least the floor would be protected. I was hoping to bump this up so you can get some more help. Good luck.
[notify]

Winston

Don't pick me- up, just do as I- say!

Purred: Thu Aug 18, '11 12:54pm PST 
Placement of the boxes? Is it quiet enough for his privacy? I have just learnt a wonderful new thing myself with having some out of the box issues, VODKA, cleans the smell away completely. Had a cat do that and now I use vodka, NEVER goes back. I used all top brands of cleaner for pee and poop, my cat always returned, not with the vodka. bought the cheapest brand, vodka does not leave a lasting smell BUT sure works. I am doing some research for my own cats, I will post again if I find something.
[notify]

Mac's Cat

I am what is- called, a- recycled Cat!

Purred: Fri Aug 19, '11 1:26am PST 
I saw Winston's Post about Vodka in a different post above. I have never used that, but it sounds good to me. I would try putting news paper around the litter box. But you did not say where where you were poopin at, so this may not work. To bad "My Cat From Hell" is not on Animal planet right now. But there was some information on that show. But you can "Friend" the guy on Face Book, "Jackson Galaxy" Redondo Beach, California and maybe he can help you. None of us want you to be put up for adoption.. Good luck and please let us all know what you decide to do.
hug
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Fri Aug 19, '11 2:27am PST 
A trip to the vet is definitely in order. The most common cause of litter box avoidance is discomfort when using it. Arthur started pooping on the floor, and we eventually found that it was because of an intestinal problem (in his case, malignant). Once we were able to relieve his symptoms and get him using the box again through positive reinforcement, he consistently used the box like the good boy he really was.

Once a health related cause is ruled out, then you can treat it as a behavioral issue. Your vet can likely help you in both situations.

Good luck! hug