GO!

Litter box suggestions?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Allie

Miss *Allie* My- way or the- highway.

Purred: Fri Jul 29, '11 2:03pm PST 
So I'm going to Petsmart later today to get a new litter box. I'm tired of sweeping the bathroom floor every single day. I'm looking for something that will contain the litter better (right now she just has a simple, rectangular box). I'd love to hear what you guys use and how well it works for you. Thanks kitty
[notify]

Pumpkin

Purred: Fri Jul 29, '11 10:02pm PST 
My kitty Pumpkin has used a run of the mill covered box ever since she was old enough to step into it. It's fairly large and has two air filters on top that you can change out with replacements. They are not too expensive and will definitely save you some time in the sweeping department. I don't know if it's an option for you but I also keep my litter box in a room downstairs with carpet, it's a lot easier to vacuum (which I also keep in that room) the little bit they still get out of the box than it is to sweep it up smile
[notify]

Eko

Mr. Eko - dark, but- good-hearted

Purred: Sat Jul 30, '11 9:13am PST 
My mom recently switched from a regular rectangular box to a high sided box because I was peeing over the side occasionally. We just don't like the idea of a covered box, though I know some cats are happy with them. The high sided box has the added benefit of containing the litter better (though some sweeping is still needed.) My mom was not happy with the choices at PetSmart and looked online and ordered a great, roomy but not too big high sided litter box (with one end a little lower for easy entry.) There were several good options online.
[notify]

Kit Kat

curiosity never- hurt me!

Purred: Sat Jul 30, '11 12:44pm PST 
All of my kitties (especially Kit-Kat) tend to kick litter out of the box so we ended up buying a storage bin from Walmart and just using that. Works great. It's big, spacious, cheaper and litter barely gets out (well, it does sometimes but it's better than the other two we have here.)
[notify]

Pumpkin

Purred: Sat Jul 30, '11 11:34pm PST 
Yep, I've read some cats do not prefer covered boxes but some cats actually like the privacy it gives them. I've personally never had a problem with any of my kitties. It appears to be one of those age old debates, some experts say covered litter boxes are only good for us and not the cats, others say it doesn't make a difference. I suppose it's up to the cat smile I'm pretty sure I purchased my covered litter box at Wal-Mart but this was about six years ago!
[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Sun Jul 31, '11 12:54am PST 
Rubbermaid bin. Adequately sized, lightweight, cheap, and keeps hissyfluff from kicking litter out.
[notify]

Allie

Purred: Sun Jul 31, '11 1:34pm PST 
So do your kitties just jump inside the rubbermaid type bins? I'm a little worried Allie won't get it, or that she'll just refuse. Also, I wouldn't be able to use liners anymore huh?

I'm giving it a few more days before I make my final decision laugh out loud
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Tue Aug 2, '11 8:06am PST 
You cut a door in it, which makes only a 6 inch gap in the high side; no reason for her to not 'get it' as she just walks thru the door, no more than a step-over, not a jump in.
[notify]

Allie

Purred: Tue Aug 2, '11 5:36pm PST 
Well I tried it without cutting a door and she's been using it just fine. No more litter on the floor. SO relieved! happy dance
[notify]