GO!

Stainless steel litterbox?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Mon May 9, '11 7:51pm PST 
Anyone ever had one? With Hobie and Zelda's allergies and tendency towards UTIs I'm thinking a stainless steel box might be better for us, and Petsmart now carries them. They're $30 a pop though and hubby is concerned they'll rust. Any thoughts? Anyone tried one?
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Tue May 10, '11 4:10am PST 
Wow, I've never heard of that before. Once I saw it on the website, I was a bit interested. However, I just bought Hunter a new one. I'd be concerned about rust as well. That and the sides aren't tall at all. Hunter is a pretty big boy and sometimes he doesn't squat all the way down. With my luck he'd pee on the wall using that litterbox. Also, I try to make his "corner" where the litterbox is, quiet and calm. I think with it being stainless steel, the noise of the litter against it would bother him, that and being able to see his reflection might freak him out as well.

Seems like a good concept though, especially with kitties with allergies like yourself. If you try it, let us know how it goes! smile
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Tue May 10, '11 6:27am PST 
Good point with the reflection. Whenever Zelda is in a cage at the vets she sees herself and just freaks out the whole time, I'd hate to subject her to that.

I'm actually leaning towards trying smaller boxes for awhile that are easier to dump and clean every few days. Right now with the giant Booda boxes it's a pain to dump the old litter and clean them out. Since they're both getting so many UTIs I'm trying to really limit the bacteria in the litter box. Thought about crystal litter, but they might eat it. I'm leaning towards a small box with feline pine and just tossing it every few days.
[notify]

Little Boy- Blue PAWS

The Blue Dude

Purred: Tue May 10, '11 8:14am PST 
If they are truly stainless steel, they won't rust. The noise issue, however, seems a legitimate concern. On the other hand - you'd know every time the box was being used! smile
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Tue May 10, '11 9:15am PST 
Got an idea! What about food service containers? My son is a chef and they use these big stainless bins to hold all sorts of food. I know thay have them at the restaurant supply place by me - might be even cheaper than the pet store ones. But I would do a search online for something like that, I think they would have different sizes, depths.
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Tue May 10, '11 9:33am PST 
Use litter liners, just double them up. That's what we have even in our plastic litter box. shrug
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Tue May 10, '11 10:00am PST 
Thanks everyone. I don't think noise would be an issue. They make a ton of noise with the feline pine even in the plastic boxes and don't seem phased by it.

I'm leaning towards foregoing the stainless steel boxes and just getting a cheap pair of dollar store ones that I can toss regularly to keep sanitation in check.

I never knew about boxes holding bacteria with age, never occurred to me. I have clients whose boxes look like they're from the 70s, yikes! Ours are about 4 years old now, so perhaps even changing that up will help?
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Tue May 10, '11 12:13pm PST 
You don't want to use thick litter liners? We double them up and throw the whole bag out when it's time. It doesn't soak through to the box. We use Johnny Cat, they're very thick and durable. wink
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue May 10, '11 12:21pm PST 
Hobie, yes the bacteria can start collecting in the "scratched" parts of the plastic boxes. It's not a bad idea to just get something cheap you can replace until their UTI's are cleared up. I was very curious about those stainless steel boxes in PetSmart too. In theory it's a great idea, but as someone mentioned the sides aren't that high and I worry about how it feels against their nails when they dig so I didn't get it. I would love to hear from anyone who's tried one.
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Tue May 10, '11 12:37pm PST 
Finney - Hobie and Zelda would eat the plastic, honestly, they're not the brightest crayons in the box.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4