GO!

Weapons-grade poo smell

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Thu Jan 27, '11 9:02am PST 
ok so one of the boys I think it's Teller, just has the worst smelling atomic poop. He's been tested for worms and I'm pretty sure it's negative. The vets office didn't call back so no news is good news usually. Anyway it's like he gets poo butt and the wake you up in the middle of the night drop a bomb on the house taste it through your nose type of poop.
I scoop the litter every day, change it every week. We have two boxes. Is there anything else I can do? I know I toyed with the idea of moving it but I'm afraid of inappropriate elimination. I tried an odor diffuser but no.
I use Fresh Step Multiple Cat Litter. It's as if the stuff isn't even working. Is it possible that when I bought it in bulk it just lost it's potency?
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Thu Jan 27, '11 9:29am PST 
Oh Teller has poopie explosions too?!?! I get them sometimes. It depends on what mom feeds me. For litter mom buys me Dr. Elseys. She loves it. Before I used Tidy Cats and there was dust everywhere, plus it didn't hide the smell. Since mom switched the smell isn't that bad, hardly no dust, and she doesn't sneeze all the time!

Sometimes mom gets the Arm and Hammer litter deodorizer. She sprinkles a little bit in my box and it helps! Watch out what you're eating. Could give you super smelly grenade poopies!!!
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Thu Jan 27, '11 10:57am PST 
Funny post by the way, well, you know what I mean. It's like Hunter says, usually it's something you're feeding him. For instance, we eat Petguard Premium Feast sometimes and boy oh boy! The minute you open that can, PEEEWWWW! So when it goes in stinky, it comes out stinky. wave
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Thu Jan 27, '11 11:20am PST 
Well I had been hearing about Merrick's Before Grain wet food so I went and got some and they go cuckoo for that stuff. I mean they love the quail and the salmon because it's pretty much solid quail meat and solid salmon and water! But hoooo my lawd I was trying to scold my oldest son about something and my kittens never make it easy. One will either sit right next to me in classic cat statue formation and stare at him or apparently lay a cat log in the litter box that will choke the conversation. Then my son starts laughing and my authoritarian status is blown laugh out loud
Then sometimes I'll come back from dropping the kids at school and I'll open the front door and be blown back! Maybe one of them didn't wipe his booty and it ended up on my Persian rug... shrug
Where do I get Dr. Elseys?
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Thu Jan 27, '11 3:43pm PST 
Actually, that bad a poopie smell, is due to what you feed, not the cat litter. Mine only smell, if I happen to be in the bathroom, with them, when they do it, but it only lasts as long, as until they cover it up, and I wouldn't consider it, drive you out of the house smell, and I can never smell their poopies, if they go, and I am in another part of the house. wave

For those that remember, 9 Lives, was a perfect example, you could smell it at the other end of the house, mol, that was before, I knew about proper cat nutrition. laugh out loud

If its that bad, mol, its what your feeding, not the cat litter. way to go

Kinda like, ah, when you eat certain foodies, and the smell seems worser, mol, mol, mol. big laugh

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Smokie Boo- Dreamboat- #104b

Rescued cats- like me are the- best!

Purred: Thu Jan 27, '11 5:18pm PST 
lol! We understand completely!
Daddy has to wear a CPAP mask at night. When Smokieboo first came to live with us, he had a protozoa parsite called giardia. They don't always find it in poop right away, and they missed it the first time at the vets. Anyway, it gives them very bad smelling poop. Anyway, when Smokie would go in the litter box....the one in our bedroom...at about 2:30 or 3am and do his business, it was enough to drive you out of the room. My husband inhaled this through his mask and said 'Something wicked this way comes."
We had to medicate Smokie...no small feat, as he figured out where the medicine was and so we had to wrap him up in a towel and give him his meds, which he would fight.
Even after he was over the giardia, he continues sometimes to have gas. He's the only cat I've ever known who has gas like this. The vet tried to put him on ID. He hated it. He's doing alot better now, he has alot less gas. We did learn that there are some foods that don't do well for him-, so we try to keep his diet stable. We're trying to gradually wean him onto better quality food, but for now, it's gotten alot better. Stress has alot to do with evil smelling poop too.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Thu Jan 27, '11 6:50pm PST 
Teller farted on my arm the other night and it smelled like a skunk. It's never mattered what you fed this cat or these cats I'm starting to think it's both with the stink poop but Teller has the fart problem but I've been through Wellness and Evo and now Merricks. It's all supreme stink power. We've even tried to "change the content of the colon" as the vet put it. He gave me probiotics and special food. That seemed to make it worse.
[notify]

Smokie Boo- Dreamboat- #104b

Rescued cats- like me are the- best!

Purred: Fri Jan 28, '11 10:34am PST 
Have you had them checked for protozoa parasites?
I ask because Smokie had tests for worms, negative, and his first stool was negative for giardia. It was the 3rd sample that caught it.
There is also another one, coccidia, that can give cats really bad smelling stool and gas.
Some cats also have a food sensitivity to certain ingredients. We found this out when one of my sisters cats started having very bad smelling stool. It turned out he was allergice to something in his food. His food was changed, and it helped matters a great deal.

Good luck, we can relate. Smokie's has gotten alot better, now.
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Fri Jan 28, '11 1:48pm PST 
I love this thread by the way. Dragged me in right from the title. I like to walk across mommy's desk when she's on the computer and fart in her face. laugh out loud Makes her get up and pay attention to me!!! wave
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Fri Jan 28, '11 2:47pm PST 
Way cool title, mol, I do believe, Penn and Teller, have the same sense of humor, that Bump does, mol. laugh out loud

And Miss Lacey, mine don't fart, so there, mol, mol, mol. laugh out loud

Geez, can ya just see them farting, in the judges face, mol, mol, mol. big laugh

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6