GO!

Getting Urine Scent out of Hardwood Floors...

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Tiger

Queen of- Everyone

Purred: Mon Jan 24, '11 3:35pm PST 
So a while back my roommate's cat, Scout, went through a period in which she was peeing in my bedroom every time I left the door open (literally...and specifically in my room too...trust me, it was not a great time). Scout was finally diagnosed with a UTI and went on medication, and that seems to have solved the problem (though I still diligently keep my bedroom door CLOSED). I thought I had cleaned up all the old spots right after they happened (easy, since most of them were on my BED), but last night I was rearranging furniture and discovered a couple of boxes that were covered in slimy, dried-up urine spots (one both inside and out). I threw out the boxes and thoroughly washed the area with a product my roommate has called UrineOff, but it didn't do anything for the scent. So I put more of the cleaner on it and left that to soak overnight. My concern is that it seems like the urine smell has soaked into the hardwood floors in that area, and now that I've rearranged things so that that section of floor is exposed, the smell is very strong. I'm sure there are one or two other sections of the floor that are like this, as I have occasionally smelled hints of cat urine odor in my room but haven't been able to find the source (and for those wondering, yes, I am moving soon).

I'm sensitive to smells, so this is really going to bother me if I can't fix it soon. I've cleaned up cat & dog messes before, but they were always within an hour of the mess getting there, and they were always on either linoleum or carpet. I've never had to deal with an old stain soaked into hardwood like this.

Soooo...how do I go about eliminating this odor? Anybody have any tips or tricks they've found especially effective? Especially for older stains on a hard surface? I'm going to try white vinegar mixed with water tonight (or should I just try it undiluted?), but anything else I can use would be really helpful. Or if there's a particular technique you use for applying products and cleaning them up, that would also be nice.

EDIT: I should clarify that I don't have my own cat (Tiger passed away a little over a year ago), so there shouldn't be any problem keeping all cats away from the area short-term, if need be. They're pretty much completely banned from my bedroom at this point anyway. After I move out next month they will be allowed back in there, though, so I shouldn't use any products that will leave any long-lasting toxic residues or anything.

Edited by author Mon Jan 24, '11 3:42pm PST

[notify]

AnnaBelle

Supervisor cat - is not amused.

Purred: Mon Jan 24, '11 4:38pm PST 
Use mixture of 1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar to the urine spot(s) Let it stand for a few minutes before soaking it up with a paper towel. Repeat. Apply the vinegar mixture again, this time placing paper towels under something heavy and leave the vinegar to soak the stain for a few hours.

Apply a neutralizing product according to package directions to get rid of the urine smell. I recommend "Natures Miracle" But get the one for Ferrets- it is stronger and more concentrated.

If vinegar and a pet-odor neutralizer fail to remove the smell, re-finishing the floor is the only way to get rid of the it. Sand the floor, varnish the area with a sealant to keep out spills and stains. obviously that is a last resort and the most expensive.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Mon Jan 24, '11 4:51pm PST 
I'm curious for my own nose sake, how did you not notice that urine before? Is that possible? Can something so vile go unnoticed? I'm so afraid of that I don't know where to put myself.

As for cleaning, use Nature's Miracle Just For Cats Advanced, red bottle.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Mon Jan 24, '11 4:58pm PST 
I had nOoo idea about the ferrets Natures Miracle! Take that advice haha
[notify]

Tiger

Queen of- Everyone

Purred: Mon Jan 24, '11 6:11pm PST 
OK, I just tried the vinegar & water. The UrineOff took the edge off, so hopefully the vinegar will finish it up for this section of the floor, at least. confused

Penn & Teller, I'm honestly not sure. This sort of hint of the smell has been lingering around the room for a little while now, but I couldn't figure out where it was specifically coming from. Then I was rearranging furniture and that got me to move these boxes that have been wedged back in a corner between things where I don't normally investigate. I didn't notice until I reached inside one of the boxes actually (it was mostly covered with plastic, which is probably what blocked most of the smell). It was like something out of a smell-oriented horror movie, discovering it like that. And then once I removed the boxes and threw them out, the scent left over was super strong. I think it was like, the top part of the box (and the bottom of the box next to it) was blocking the scent of the bottom and the floor, or something...

Not as bad today, though. The UrineOff got rid of a lot of the smell, plus I left all my windows open overnight. Now my room is freezing cold of course, but it's a small price to pay.

I don't understand it - she seems to choose my things specifically. For a while there I literally couldn't leave my bedroom door hanging open while I watched TV in the living room, or I'd find something later that had been marked. Different things most of the time, because I'm pretty good at cleaning it up when I can find it. Now that she's gotten treatment for her UTI it's a little better but I still find new things occasionally if I've been lax about leaving my bedroom door closed. It's horrible. This room wasn't being used as a bedroom before I moved in 8 months ago, so I'm betting they had a litter box in here at some point. thinking
[notify]

Tiger

Queen of- Everyone

Purred: Mon Jan 24, '11 9:27pm PST 
It's also possible the urine is more recent than I thought, come to think of it. I think I had my door sitting open while I was cooking yesterday...
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Tue Jan 25, '11 5:26pm PST 
Dab it up with a cloth, walk into your roommates bedroom and mash the urine soaked cloth into roomies floor right by the bed. Then hurry up really fast and clean up your room with Natures Miracle if you can get your hands on it.

Hey it may redirect the cat.

You have amazing patience... with roommate.
[notify]

AnnaBelle

Supervisor cat - is not amused.

Purred: Thu Jan 27, '11 8:00pm PST 
I noticed petsmart is having a sale on Nature's miracle products right now, so if you dont have any now might be a good time to get some!
[notify]