GO!

Major flaw with Tidy Cats Breeze litter boxes!

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Wed Jan 12, '11 4:13pm PST 
EWWWWWWWW! If your cat ever has diarrhea when you use these boxes, it is a nightmare to clean! Because of the grates, anything not solid drops down, but diarrhea is kinda in between, so instead it sticks to all of your pellets and ruins them, drops down to the pad and ruins it, and gets stuck in between all of the grate lines so you have no choice but to hose it down. While Hobie is sick and on meds I swapped back to the old boxes with normal litter so the poos clumps all nice. Yeeesh!!
[notify]

Sneakers, I- miss you

Got Milk?

Purred: Wed Jan 12, '11 4:16pm PST 
I guess I've been lucky, when I had a cat having some diarrhea problems they always used a corner of the Breeze box so only a few pellets near the edge got ruined, and since it was in the corner where there is no grating it never dripped through.
[notify]

Princess- Zelda- Serafina

Nobody puts- Princess in the- corner!

Purred: Thu Jan 13, '11 9:19am PST 
You are lucky! Another thing I've noticed is that the boxes tend to have a urine odor even after cleaning. I've only had mine a month.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Thu Jan 13, '11 4:13pm PST 
We have the same kind of litter box in Japan, and I gave up using them after a year. Even if your cat has normal poop it can stick to the grate and harden, meaning that you have to soak the toilet in hot water for an hour or so and use a brush to get out the crud when cleaning it. The pellets are expensive and heavy, a consideration when buying and taking them out to the trash. The pads have to be changed frequently because if they get sopping wet little buggies start growing there. I found the whole thing unsanitary and hard on my back. I'm now using a regular box with scoopable litter.
[notify]

Sneakers, I- miss you

Got Milk?

Purred: Thu Jan 13, '11 7:06pm PST 
I've haven't had an issue with urine odor, in fact that's why I use them because of the lack of odor... I've tried many litters and there was always an odor until we started using the Breeze.
[notify]

Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Thu Jan 13, '11 10:46pm PST 
I use a very light (in weight) litter that's made from cyprus. It's clumpable and flushable, which is a help. For some reason, this litter seems to resist ammonia odor.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same litter box or not, but when pee collects on the wee wee pads, it tends to get smelly fast. Better to be able to scoop out clumps.
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Fri Jan 14, '11 1:12pm PST 
I can't actually smell an ammonia odor until I *disturb* the pad. I might actually need to change them more than every Friday though. I took down the boxes while Hobie is sick and the plastic itself smelled like urine. I hosed and bleached them in the shower and the odor is gone. I love how clean the boxes are otherwise though, we don't have nearly as much litter sprinkled throughout our home. Hobie is a litter engineer, so with scoop litter it was a nightmare, and they always got it in their water fountain, so I had to clean that constantly. I'm not giving up on the Breeze yet! Just keeping in mind that at the first sign of upset tummies I need to bring out the old boxes!
[notify]

Sneakers, I- miss you

Got Milk?

Purred: Fri Jan 14, '11 8:06pm PST 
I spray the pellets with Pure Ayre or Nature's Miracle litterbox spray after I scoop and it's been pretty low odor (less odor than any other litter I've tried.) I also usually spray and wipe the drawer when I replace the pad. I've had people comment that they couldn't smell anything when they were standing in front of the box.

Edited by author Fri Jan 14, '11 8:08pm PST

[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Sat Jan 15, '11 11:59am PST 
You know another thing to not bother trying? The Litter Locker. GAROOOSSSS! At first I loved it and thought it was fantastic. Then I realized that when the bags run out of the wrung inside, there's no stopper at the end of the bag. I didn't know that and there was poop and pee sitting in that plastic container spilled inside for a couple of days. It was the most horrid smell ever! I was ticked and brought it back to Petsmart and they gave me my money back. How am I supposed to know when that bag is about to run out? There's nothing there like a little flag or anything that tells you. Plus those bags are super expensive. confused
[notify]

Hawkeye- (Rainbow- Bridge)

Yeah,- Whatever....

Purred: Sun Jan 16, '11 4:19pm PST 
I think about getting a Breeze from time to time but never have the $$$$ to get one.

The pellet things and pads are a cost but with a little ingenuity you can save some $$$$ on these. I found on a review site that the pellets can be placed in a old pillow case and ran through the washer and dryer (minus the land mines, of course). The pads are nothing more than doggie pee pee pads that can be found at dollar and discount stores that you cut in half or quarter depending on size.

I haven't found a middle ground on the review sites about the Breeze. Either you love it or you hate it.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3