GO!

Can I move the litter box?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Sun Jan 9, '11 7:25am PST 
I really am getting tired of the stinky log smell coming through my bathroom into our room and the boys aren't small kittens anymore. They can climb the stairs and use the upstairs litterbox just fine. I was wondering if I could put both boxes upstairs in the laundry room? Would that potentially cause accidents?
[notify]

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Sun Jan 9, '11 6:00pm PST 
Well, sure smile. Just make sure that you move it very slowly, like a couple feet a day, so they "follow" the box as you move it. They might get confused and have accidents if the box is completely moved in one day. frown

Technically, you should have a box on each level of your house so maybe keep the one in the bathroom and add one to the laundry room? shrug
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Sun Jan 9, '11 7:56pm PST 
I'd like one downstairs but it's getting to be overwhelming because of the layout of the house. I scoop it everyday, change it every week and their poop just smells really bad. It's always been like this from the time I got them from the shelter no matter what food they're on.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Sun Jan 9, '11 9:51pm PST 
Hmm...have you tried another kind of litter? (not a kind with fragrance!) I don't know what you are using, but while Meowma really likes Dr Elseys, Tidy Cats Small Spaces, Everclean, and Arm and Hammer are extra good at hiding odors. I'm sure there are others too.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Mon Jan 10, '11 6:12am PST 
We use Fresh Step and it hides the odor ok but the kittens have the stinkiest poop on the planet. I'm kind of concerned now! I read that uberstink poop can mean worms
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Mon Jan 10, '11 3:54pm PST 
Did you ever have a stool sample tested or have they ever been wormed with Drontal? They should be wormed every 6 months, I think it is, would have to look back at the records. This is done at the vet, its just a small pill they give them. Never never never use over the counter worm meds, and especially never use
any Hartz products. big grin

As far as moving the box, I guess it depends on the kitty. Show kitties are used to it being different, every hotel is layed out differently, every bathroom is a different size, most put them in the bathroom, so its easier to sweep up the litter in the morn. big grin

I put the cat box in the bathroom, show both kittens where it is, put them right in the box, they always use it. But again, its not like the hotel room is that big, mol. big grin

Actually, before you move the box, I would have a stool sample done, and/or take them to the vet to get them wormed, if they have not been. Best of luck. way to go

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Tue Jan 11, '11 7:51am PST 
Whats wrong with the over the counter stuff? I bought homeopathic meds. shock
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Tue Jan 11, '11 9:51am PST 
Sorry, I meant, like at the grocery store, or pet store, without knowing, what your treating for. big grin

I have no knowledge or experience with homeopathic stuff, mol, but alot on here do, I just, myself, would not treat, unless you know what your treating for, or under supervision/guidance of a vet. way to go

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]