GO!

NO kitty! get off the counter

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
littleboy

king of my home

Purred: Sun Dec 5, '10 1:07am PST 
Hi anyone got any suggestions on how to make us kitties understand we have to stay off the counters in the kitchen? Mom hates it when i get up there but I like it so I do it when she is not looking then when she sees me she says"no littlboy get down" I know what that means even if she say it nicely but sometimes she says it harshley I get down quickly either way. Sometimes callie and booboo do it too tiny and moe not so much. Mom was wondering do you keep your kittes off the counters and how??
[notify]

ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Sun Dec 5, '10 7:50am PST 
wave

We are allowed on the kitchen counters. Our pawrents were going to keep us off them but then it seemed just too hard to and they figured we would be up there in the middle of the night anyways. So they kitty proofed them.

We have tall carpeted steps from the other side of the kitchen that lead us to the counter. We have our 2 pet scales with blankets in them where we like to sleep, also on the counter. And the only other thing on the counter is our water dish and food dishes. Everything else was put in cabinets. Our pawrents don't cook so this works out fine for them. With nothing on the counters, easier to wipe them. There is one section of the counter where they prepare their food so we don't go there. Also they never use the stove or oven so don't have to worry about that. I know, we have an unusual household! laugh out loud Others have trained their cats to stay off the counters so I am sure their posts will be more help.

Good luck!
kittykitty
[notify]

Sparks

Purred: Sun Dec 5, '10 10:37am PST 
Hey littleboy

Here's a quick summary of ideas:

foil (which was what i used when Tissue and Sparks decided they wanted to counter surf), tape some foil onto counter ledge so that when they jump they'll hear the crinkling and they don't like that

those aluminum trays like the disposable ones and fill them with water, kitty jumps on counter gets wet freaks out

You can also do strips of double sided tape, or make it yourself as i've heard that the actual double sided stuff can be hard to get off. With this make sure you do a couple of rows or they might just learn how to avoid it

You can also do a spray bottle at their face but they might associate that with you being in the kitchen and come back when you're gone

You can also bang some pots and pans but once again they'll come back when you're not there

If you have the finances, there's also motion detectors compressed air sprays and also motion detecting loud noise making types.

Also if you think about why your cat wants to counter surf you might be able to eliminate the behavior. For mine it was the food on the counter at first but then it was just that it was the highest place they could get to in the house. When they got a cat tree (6 ft and not because of the behavior), they started using that instead and the surfing behavior stopped.

If you think it might be food and he still comes even when the food is gone you could use an citrus based cleaner which some cats don't like but others aren't bothered.

If its a height factor then maybe you could find him a higher place? You don't have to spend money on a kitty condo though I think its a very good investment. You can make one yourself or make or purchase kitty stairs or a ladder.

Well thats all I can think of at the moment. Ours don't counter surf anymore but I just don't have the energy to keep them off the dining table, made thanksgiving very interesting for our guests.
[notify]

littleboy

king of my home

Purred: Sun Dec 5, '10 1:14pm PST 
Wow zack that is really cool the way your mom and dad set the kitchen up for you, I love it but mom said Dad does too much cooking in the kitchen so while that would be fine with us kitties mom and dad are not as keen on it. One time when I was younger I burned myself on the stove top it is a smooth surface and was still hot after dad did some cooking and I jumped up there before he realized what I was doing so for a long time I did not get on the stove but the memory of that burn is fading nowsmile
[notify]

littleboy

king of my home

Purred: Sun Dec 5, '10 1:25pm PST 
Hi Sparks and thanks for your suggestions, we have two kitty trees inside the house and a big tree outside in the kitty fence then mom moved all the food off the counters into the bread boxes and pantries, but I think it still smells like food up there and people food is my favorite mom doesn't let me have much of it so I have to go looking for it myselflaugh out loud Mom hasn't put as much effort into keeping us off the dinning table as she has the kitchen counters so when she has people over to eat we have to stay out of the dinning roomfrown she is going to try the foil and tape to see how we react to that she has used the spray bottle cause she has a bird in a cage we know that if we try to touch it we get WET but she knows if she isn't there then we know the bottle is not so scary so she locks the door to the room where the pretty bird is when she is not here.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Sun Dec 5, '10 9:26pm PST 
Meowma swears by leaving the cookie sheets full of water; it's the best because they will catch the kitty every single time, which is what it takes. Leave them for a couple of days and you won't have to worry at least for a long time!
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Mon Dec 6, '10 7:21am PST 
Hunter is allowed on the counters. However is he not allowed on the entertainment center which is full of glass and breakables. He tests us everyday. He knows the word "No" but is like "pshhht, whatever mom" so I tried the foil. He likes it! That was a total bust. Then I tried the bitter apple to deter him away from it. Lasted a day or two. Now we use a water bottle. I hate doing that to him, but it works. We spray him from across the room (so it doesn't hurt/have a lot of pressure) and he jumps down.

Problem is, he likes water. Don't know how long the water bottle is going to last. laugh out loud

I also read once that someone put empty coke/soda cans on the edge of the counter, so when the cat jumped up, they knocked over the cans which startled them. I don't think I'd do that for Hunter but its an option. Good luck!
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Mon Dec 6, '10 11:45am PST 
We gave up along time ago. shrug
[notify]

Pandi

Purred: Mon Dec 6, '10 2:12pm PST 
Cats are in charge of the house, and they like to be up high. Get them a cat climber and they will focus on that.
[notify]

Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Mon Dec 6, '10 3:42pm PST 
My Louie was a notorious counter investigator, and the only thing that worked was a water bottle. After a while all I had to do was show it to him. Now that he's older he can't jump up, so that problems solved.

Howie rarely jumps up, unless there's something tasty on the counter, so I used it as motivation to never leave sitting food out.

Try the water bottle, or wait 14 years and your kitty may not be able to reach to counters anymore too. laugh out loud
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4