GO!

Do you decorate around the cat furniture?

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Fri Dec 3, '10 3:38pm PST 
Every year when putting up the tree my husband and I argue about whether we can squeeze the tree in without disturbing Isabelle's "stuff" (condo, hut, box). I say we should leave it alone, he says its not a big deal to take out for a month. laugh out loud She does love laying under the tree so I don't feel too bad about taking out the hut, but think the condo should stay!

Do you guys take into consideration your furry little ones when placing decorations? thinking And yes, I know no tinsel, strings, etc. Luckily Isabelle is very good about not trying to eat stuff!
[notify]

Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Fri Dec 3, '10 4:22pm PST 
I have to move a big glider that Howie sits in to fit my tree where I want it. He never seems to mind as the tree is a special addition and the tree skirt is a great place to sleep. I also bring out an extra fluffy Christmas rug that gives them a place to sleep too.

As long as your kitties are flexible like mine, and know the tree is something special to hide under with all the sparkly lights and (plastic) ornaments down low, I don't imagine there would be an issue.

I had a cat growing up that hated change, and every year when the tree went up she immediately peed on the tree skirt to show her displeasure. My mom would wash it and she'd normally be fine after that, but if we moved any of her things for decorations she'd pee on it again. shock

I guess every cat is different--some love all the sparkle and lights, and others don't like the change. I guess the answer is to find out which one your kitty is and adjust for that.
[notify]

Princess- Zelda- Serafina

Nobody puts- Princess in the- corner!

Purred: Wed Dec 8, '10 4:03pm PST 
Normally we put the tree in the dining room, and there's no cat stuff in there (the only room without it!). This year however, due to Miss Zelda and needing to keep a closer eye on her and the tree, we're putting in in the living room right next to the couch. We had to relocate a huge cat tree for that, but no one seems to mind.

Honestly, we've built cat furniture into our actual house. We extended all the molding around our windows so it'd be better for sunbeam napping. Also build steps going up to an observation platform in the window over the front door. Next will be a cat runway on the walls in the living room.
[notify]

Mickey

The Wild One

Purred: Thu Jan 20, '11 6:40am PST 
Yes, I have to move the huge cat tree onto the screened porch to make room for the tree. It is left out there between 3 weeks to a month. They still have access to the tree, but they like to hang out with me, so they do like the cat tree in the house. They love to lie under the Christmas tree, though, and when the packages are put under the tree, they lie or sit on the packages and chew the ribbons and bows. It does seem when the cat tree is moved back in place they use it more and seem very happy to get it back, so It is kind of a "new adventure" for them for several days. There are many things I do not do in the way of decorations because of my cats, but I am getting older, and my cats are important to me, so many things in my house are geared for their comfort, fun and lifestyle.
[notify]

Mickey

The Wild One

Purred: Thu Jan 20, '11 6:41am PST 
Yes, I have to move the huge cat tree onto the screened porch to make room for the tree. It is left out there between 3 weeks to a month. They still have access to the tree, but they like to hang out with me, so they do like the cat tree in the house. They love to lie under the Christmas tree, though, and when the packages are put under the tree, they lie or sit on the packages and chew the ribbons and bows. It does seem when the cat tree is moved back in place they use it more and seem very happy to get it back, so It is kind of a "new adventure" for them for several days. There are many things I do not do in the way of decorations because of my cats, but I am getting older, and my cats are important to me, so many things in my house are geared for their comfort, fun and lifestyle.
[notify]