GO!

Vick's Vapor Inhaler

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Fiddlehead

Purred: Thu Nov 26, '09 7:12pm PST 
Has anyone used this with cats? Is it safe?

http://www.vicks.com/products/vapor-inhaler

I was thinking that it doesn't actually put medicine in their noses so maybe it would be helpful, but of course I don't want to use anything that might be dangerous.

Thoughts?
[notify]

P.C.

aka, Squeeker,- Toeboy or- Perfict Cat

Purred: Thu Nov 26, '09 10:07pm PST 
I do not believe it would do much for him. When a Friend of mine had a stallion , we used to put it on his nose when we went riding. That is a question you should call your vet about. Like I had said in your last post. Call and ask what else you can use for his congestion.
Good Luck
wisheshug
[notify]

Gracie

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Purred: Thu Nov 26, '09 10:23pm PST 
I think you'd be better off just running a bath or shower with the door closed for about 10-15 minutes, and then open the door and put kitty in. The steam should really help with congestion.
[notify]

In Loving- Memory..Mr.B- elvedere

Never give up.- Live life to the- fullest

Purred: Fri Nov 27, '09 1:15am PST 
with a cats sense of smell, it would probably be more dangerous than not...
[notify]

Soda

Be Smart, Spay &- Neuter!

Purred: Fri Nov 27, '09 2:05am PST 
I second what Gracie says. You can also put kitty in a pet carrier, place a bowl of hot steaming water next to the carrier, then cover the whole lot over with a towel, which gives the same steamy effect.
[notify]

Jingo

Empress of the- Universe

Purred: Fri Nov 27, '09 6:13pm PST 
My cats don't like the smell of Vick's ointment when I use it so I dont think this would work for cats
[notify]

P.C.

Purred: Fri Nov 27, '09 7:28pm PST 
Hey Soda! That is a great way to do it. I was thinking of something like that but your way is MUCH better. Because you can safely replace the water without burning or wetting Kitty....
[notify]

Watson

He's no- Sherlock!

Purred: Fri Nov 27, '09 8:06pm PST 
There have actually been studies done recently that show Vicks Vaporub can trigger an excessive production of mucous. I can't imagine the inhaler would be any different.
[notify]

P.C.

Purred: Sat Nov 28, '09 11:50pm PST 
I just posted this on Fiddleheads' other question, I copied and pasted it here for all to see who are following this string;

I talked to a vet at work today about Fiddlehead's problem. He suggested getting a Nebulizer Machine because with him being so stopped up, the steam from the bathroom or the pot of hot water, is to big to get far back in side his face. The Nebulizer would be your best bet. This is one of MANY I just found when I Googled nublizer;
http://www.google.com/products?q=nebulizer machine&oe=utf -8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei= qyISS_boGdWUtgfD2onrCg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum= 4&ved=0CCkQrQQwAw

aw this one is so cute.. check it out;
http://www.mountainside-medical.com/products/Pediatric-Penguin -Nebulizer-Machine.html

This Vet is a vet for Disney's Animal Kingdom and I really like him. I never thought to use one of these before, but heck is not all that expensive. You could also try craig's list for a used one.
Good Luck and if you do get one, please let us know if it helps.

Edited by author Sat Nov 28, '09 11:51pm PST

[notify]

Church

I'm a model!

Purred: Thu Dec 3, '09 7:54pm PST 
I would recommend a vaporizer for the room they spend the most time in. I use one in the winter and it helps to increase the humidity level.

If you need something more intense you can try a nebulizer but it is difficult to use one with a cat because they have to directly breathe the vapors in. Most come with a mask but it would be hard to get a at to sit still and breathe from a mask! I used one for one of my rats who had pneumonia and what I did with her is put her in a small cage with the nebulizer mouthpiece running into it and a towel over it. My vet gave me special medication to use in the nebulizer.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2