GO!

Flea infestation!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Moonshine

Mrow...- everyone's- always eating my- food

Purred: Mon Aug 24, '09 8:47am PST 
We live with roomates right now, and they have 2 dogs who obviously go in and out, and we have two cats and are fostering a kitten who is about 6 weeks old, its hard to tell and we had to go searching for his male parts so he is pretty young. We flea bombed our house on Saturday, and then spent the whole day vacuuming and washing and all that jazz, I also gave the two older cats their monthly frontline the day before. When we came back in all the cats got a thorough flea combing and little dud got a baby shampoo bath and we picked off every single bugger we could find. Now its Monday, and he is once again covered in fleas, I just bathed him again and a whole mess of them fell off not to mention all of the ones that ran to his face. It had to have been more than 200 and this is a very little guy. I know I shouldn't bathe him more often than a week, but I dont know what else to do. We have a vet appointment, but that isnt for another week, and in the mean time the poor little guy is miserable. I know the fleas keep riding in on the dogs, but that situation is out of my hands. I am desperate to keep this little guy healthy and as flea free as possible, but I'm not sure what I can do for him. I just feel so bad when he sits there scratching so hard he knocks himself over. Any help anyone can give me would be amazing.
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Tue Aug 25, '09 10:02pm PST 
The flea treatment I'd recommend for the house is Siphotrol Plus II Premise Spray. http://www.amazon.com/Siphotrol-Plus-II-Premise-Spray/dp/B000KVSTC0. (Don't get the pump spray, make sure it's in the can). You may be able to get it at a pet store and I know some vets carry it. In order for it to be effective though you MUST vacuum everywhere the cats and dogs go. Throw away the contents outside. The you can spray the house. You can leave the cats and dogs in the house (just put them into a room you aren't spraying yet) and then follow the directions on the can. Once the spray is dry (about 30min) the area is safe for kids and pets again. The key to this working is repeating the ENTIRE process in 2 weeks. The can does 2200 SF so you may have enough for both treatments. DO NOT USE FLEA BOMBS. They do not work.

As far as the kitten, that many fleas can cause anemia on a cat. You are right about not wanting to bathe too often. BTW, any shampoo will kill fleas so don't use the harsh flea ones. Always use cat shampoo for cats, no human shampoo. Dawn dishwashing soap is safe for cats, however. try just using a flea comb on him to get the fleas off. Use a bowl of vinegar to dip the flea comb in to keep the fleas form escaping. Frontline can be repeated safely 2 weeks after the dose you gave but you may want to consider switching to Advantage, especially if you have used Frontline for a while. Fleas can become resistant.
It's probably a good idea to treat the yard too since the dogs are in/out bringing in hitchhikers. Also don;t forget to treat the dogs with flea meds too.
Good luck!
[notify]

Moonshine

Mrow...- everyone's- always eating my- food

Purred: Fri Aug 28, '09 4:04pm PST 
Thanks for the info, the problem with the dogs is that their owners (my room mates) seem to think that walmart flea treatment is the same as advantage or frontline, and nothing I can say will convince them otherwise. I'm just trying to take care of my cats the best I can in this situation. BTW the baby has all of his teeth, and his eyes are a deep green color, anyone have any ideas as to his age? He weighs nothing, and is about the size of both my hands cupped.
[notify]

Sassy- (2001-2012)

Gorgeous- Armageddon

Purred: Fri Aug 28, '09 10:30pm PST 
This link shows you how to tell the age of kittens http://www.cat-world.com.au/HowToDetermineAKittensAge.htm . If he was a stray he may be small for his age.

Another good product for fleas is De Flea which you can get at PetSmart. You can use it to spray the carpets/furniture and I found it really worked when I got a flea infestation a couple of years ago. If your roommates aren't dealing with the fleas on their dogs its also supposed to be safe on dogs/cats so you could spray them and brush it in to clear them of fleas too
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sat Aug 29, '09 9:01am PST 
OTC flea meds are not safe and the dog ones can actually cause your cat to become sick too, even from just living in close quarters with them.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/permethrin-and-pyrethrin-toxic ity-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.biospotvictims.org/

http://w ww.bangordailynews.com/detail/105633.html

(sometimes catster adds spaces in links so be sure to remove those sp[aces before placing into your browser window).

There is a huge difference among the active ingredients in “spot on” flea products. THIS IS WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW: there is a big difference between the new flea products generally sold through the veterinarian and spot on products available at major retailers. THAT DIFFERENCE IS THE ACTIVE INGREDIENT: many over the counter products available at major retailers or feed stores contain ORGANOPHOSPHATE INSECTICIDES. These were the products we used 20 years ago because it was all we had. There is a VERY limited margin of safety with organophosphate (permethrin, pyrethrin) products. If you fail to follow manufacturers directions or if you accidentally apply an product made for dogs on cats, the result can be disastrous. “Back in the Day:, we treated many cases of organophosphate toxicity caused by this products, not always successfully.
[notify]

Sootball

I am so cute,- scratch my belly- mol

Purred: Sat Aug 29, '09 10:32pm PST 
Sassy is right De Flea is VERY safe even for your little guy and you can use it every day. When I was a groomer we used delimeadine and that is what De Flea is. It is a sodium product that dries out the exoskeleton of the flea. It does not harm the kitty. It is also marketed for use on snakes for mites, so it is safe for reptiles,cats and dogs...Nursing moms and there young. Sootball here was only 4 weeks old when I used it on him. I combed about 10 fleas off his tiny head and ran to grab the bottle a vet gave to me. She used to live next to me and was always getting things before they were for sale. I never even opened it because I have always used Advantage. Shook it u and wow was I surprised when I smelled it. I knew it was safe when I read what it was and smelled it.
Good luck and dang those dogs... u could always buy tome advantage or Frontline and put it on the dogs ur self... mol as for otc flea drops and such... with me working part time for Nutro, I see a lot of people buying them. I asked and not a one is as good or safe as Frontline or Advantage. There is a new thing though I do not know if it is for cats or just dogs. It is called Comfortus. I have seen an add for it here though. It may be a hartworm thing or a flea thing... I do not know.
Good luck and plz keep us informed.
[notify]