GO!

Whiskers breaking off?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Destiny May

The Queen of- Everything

Purred: Wed Aug 5, '09 6:28pm PST 
Destiny's whiskers keep breaking. I don't know what is causing it. She only has two full whiskers on one side and the other has a bit more. There are just a bunch of prickly, half whiskers.

They started breaking about 2 weeks ago.

Any ideas why this is happening?
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Wed Aug 5, '09 7:05pm PST 
Destiny, I've never heard of so many of cat's whiskers breaking off at one time!

Could one of your siblings be excessively grooming you and chewing them off? Sorry to ask this question but are there any children in your home who might be cutting them? Do you have symptoms of illness or do you seem well otherwise? Are you scratching excessively or have sores around your mouth or appear to have allergies?

Frankly, I don't know the answer. Perhaps a visit to your vet would help.
[notify]

Destiny May

The Queen of- Everything

Purred: Thu Aug 6, '09 9:07am PST 
There are no children in the home. There are no symptoms of illness. I have no idea why they are breaking off. I don't think the other cats are grooming here.
[notify]

♥ TT- ♥

Purred: Thu Aug 6, '09 11:36am PST 
This made me curious- I have never heard of it, so I checked around the internets and there seem to be 3 different things to cause this: other cats can chew them off, stress can lead to them breaking off and finally, some cats have a pre disposition to brittle whiskers.

Edited by author Thu Aug 6, '09 11:37am PST

[notify]

Destiny May

The Queen of- Everything

Purred: Thu Aug 6, '09 7:53pm PST 
In that case, I guess old age is making them brittle. Destiny is far from stressed. Angel pretty much leaves her along. I don't know...

This doesn't seem to bother her at all. It just makes her look funny.
[notify]

Purred: Fri Mar 28, '14 10:54am PST 
I tumbled onto this thread when I googled "Why are my cat whiskers breaking" I wanted to add a bit of info in case it applied to others having a similar issue .. I have a cat who is under a yr old.. and her whiskers have been breaking off since she's been able to run around. At first I thought it was her siblings grooming/chewing them off but after some time I've discovered that when they get so long they split and break off. Now When I think about hair health I think nutrition. But I have 7 other cats who eat the exact same food (vet recipe home made cat food). None of the other cats have this problem. The only difference between her and the other cats is that she has medium length almost frizzy hair and the rest are all short haired cats. I will keep researching If/when I discover a reason and a resolution I will post again big grin kitty
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Mar 29, '14 4:16am PST 
BK has severe allergies and when he's having an episode he scratches his face so hard that he breaks the whiskers. Keep an eye out for excessive scratching - that can do it.
[notify]