GO!

Kitten with bumpy nose, scab

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
The- Magnificent- Seven

We all found- homes!

Purred: Fri Feb 13, '09 2:38am PST 
Check out my page on the Magnificent Seven (now that Winthrop has found his fur-ever home, the Superlative Six). You'll notice that Leverett, the cute little red tabby, looks perfectly normal. In fact, he's got what they call a "bump" (not a very original term, is it?) on his nose. The vet says it's just cartilage, and nothing to worry about; my cat show friends say that kittens with bumps on their noses often outgrow them; if not, it can mean that your cat really isn't show material. That's fine with me, because Leverett has some people who are interested in adopting him as a pet.

My question, though, is why the bump? And, more to the point--ever since he was born, he's had a kind of mole on the bump that is not terribly noticeable, but not something I've seen on my other cats, either. Again, the vet showed no concern. The mole-like black spot has been there since he was born, and yet it actually looks like a very small abrasion, as if he'd been doing some rough play with his siblings. Since he's always been the biggest of the kittens, I sort of thought, in my dumb way, that maybe it had something to do with the stress of getting him out of the womb when he was born.

Anyway, now to the point: today, Leverett's eternal black mole/apparent abrasion actually had a scab on it, which surprised me so much that I picked it off to make sure that it was a scab. So, what's going on here?

I should add that my kittens were the products of a planned birth between my breeding queen and my breeder's stud cat. None of the cats in question has ever been outside, except for in a carrier (although some of them have been to cat shows). The mother was dewormed before she was bred, none of the cats in the household show any signs of any kind of skin disease (ringworm, etc.). I just thought that, well, Leverett has a black mole on his nose. But when it developed a scab, I began to wonder what it could be. I have to see the vet soon, so can ask him, but I have the feeling that he'll just go, "Gee, I don't know." Has anyone had an experience like this?

I want to place Leverett with a good fur-ever home--he's otherwise a really gorgeous, healthy kitty. But the thing on his nose puzzles me...on the other hand, is it worth hauling him to a major vet school medical school to have it looked at?
[notify]

The- Magnificent- Seven

We all found- homes!

Purred: Fri Feb 13, '09 7:38am PST 
Come on...of the hundreds of thousands of Catsters, SOMEONE must have had a similar problem...
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Fri Feb 13, '09 8:00am PST 
confused i dont know kittens! i dont know the main coon breed, so i dont know if the bump is a common thing that happens to the breed. maybe its some sort of growth thing... idk, maybe it should be x-rayed? good luck
[notify]

Watson

He's no- Sherlock!

Purred: Fri Feb 13, '09 8:05am PST 
No experience with this, but if it is a mole, and scabbing over, you may want to have the vet test it.
[notify]

The- Magnificent- Seven

We all found- homes!

Purred: Fri Feb 13, '09 8:08am PST 
We're more worried about the scab than the bump. Bumps are not unheard of on cat noses, but the fact that Leverett has had an apparent abrasion on his nose since he was born four months ago, and that it recently scabbed over, sort of worries me. Sigh...back to the vet again.
[notify]

Fox

Purred: Fri Feb 13, '09 7:20pm PST 
Don't suppose you have a close up picture of the bump? If it's a dark colored spot/scabbed over, it sounds like a longitudinal depression. It is usually visible from birth, and 90% of cats who exhibit it carry a copy of a mutant gene for cranial defects. It's purely cosmetic in the cat that shows it, but if that cat is bred to another who carries that same gene there is a very large chance of lethal birth defects.

That's about the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that sounds similiar to the bump/mole you're describing.
[notify]

DESERT

PICK ME !! PICK- ME!! TO BE PET!!

Purred: Fri Feb 13, '09 8:06pm PST 
I have a bump on my nose mom says that it adds character!!!

The mole on the other hand could be almost anything. I would definatly have it tested (especially if he finds a new home you don't want anyone comming back and sueing you or anything) It could also be some sort of birth defect as was also mentioned.
shrug
[notify]

The- Magnificent- Seven

We all found- homes!

Purred: Fri Feb 13, '09 8:34pm PST 
Wow, Fox, you know more than my vet! The bump itself just seems to be, well, a bump, and my cat show friends say that they are not uncommon--and it is getting smaller, which I have been told frequently happens. But the mole thing--it's very, very small, but has been there since birth, and the fact that it has changed--gone from being an apparent abrasion to actually scabbing over--has me worried. Leverett is to be sold as a pet, with no option of breeding, but I certainly don't want to sell a sick animal, nor do I want to deal with a dissatisfied client. Sigh...Harvey has to go to a big vet hospital to get his bowels checked out, and now it looks like Leverett needs some special attention, too. I'm not complaining--this is the responsibility I took upon myself when I decided to breed my cats. But it is one example of why many reliable breeders burn out after a few years--not the effort of taking care of the cats so much as WORRYING about them. I know about the usual health dangers that cats, and Maine Coons in particular, are prone to, and my cats have all had thorough health checkups, but this is the first time I've heard of what Fox has mentioned.
[notify]

The- Magnificent- Seven

We all found- homes!

Purred: Fri Feb 13, '09 8:48pm PST 
Fox--just did a short Internet check regarding your information, and I think you may be right. For some reason, most of the information was on sites related to Burmese cats--and some of the cranial deformities that were pictured there made me want to barf. Among the seven kittens, Leverett has always been a little "slower" than the rest of them, and I'm sure that the mole and his mental abilities are not related (for one thing, he has no other physical abnormalities, and, in fact, is a very fine specimen of the Maine Coon breed), but I have a feeling that Fox's idea might be right. Which presents me with the breeder's worst nightmare--sell him and hope that the client doesn't notice? Keep him here with me for the rest of his life? Have him euthanized? (I CERTAINLY wouldn't do that!) All I can say is, it's just as well that I never had any human children...I wouldn't have been able to survive the stress.
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Fri Feb 13, '09 11:22pm PST 
Well, I would check with your vet to get an official word on it beforehand, but if it turns out to be a cosmetic imperfection due to genetics, you just need to be honest and explain to the buyer what it is, and what it means (i.e., never ever consider keeping Leverett intact). Poor moose cat.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5