GO!

Holistic Treatment for URI?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Milo

Que Sera, Sera!

Purred: Tue Oct 14, '08 11:41am PST 
My poor Tabifa is now sick with the early stages of a URI. With 2 cats, it seems like one is always getting sick... We've been taking in abandoned kittens, and maybe that's why even though we're diligent about hand washing, changing clothes, etc...

Anyone know of some good holistic treatments for a URI? I'm sick of medicating them with antibiotics, it can't be good for them long term.

TIA (Thanks in advance)!
[notify]

Wilson sweet- baby Angel

Empowerment- through- education

Purred: Tue Oct 14, '08 2:08pm PST 
You could try L-lysine 500mg a day, that is what Wilson gets, and it seems to really help.
[notify]

Bella

bells-bells

Purred: Mon Oct 20, '08 2:02am PST 
From my understanding URI's are caused by a virus which isn't treated by antibiotics, but the antibiotics prevent a secondary infection from starting while the cat's immune system is down. I'm not positive what supplements would be best, but I really like oil of oregano (anti bacterial/viral/parasite/fungus, works as well as antibiotics). I take it myself for my allergies, and give my dog Vinny small amounts (I'm not sure what exact dose is best, google should have that info, but I open a capsule into a container and sprinkle a tiny bit of it onto food, it takes me like 2 weeks to go through it).
[notify]