GO!

Fleas and tea tree oil?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Pogo

I'm gonna knock- this over now.

Purred: Thu Sep 25, '08 2:53pm PST 
Well, weve got fleas pretty bad up here. We were fine all summer but now...oh no. I refuse to use any spot ons, both my kitties are sensitive. I've heard that tea tree oil kills fleas, but I've also heard that it's dangerous. Some swear by it, some swear not to use it. So...what should I do? I just took some tea tree oil and added five drops to 50 ml and put it on my (big) dogs collar and a little bit on the back of his neck where he can't reach, just to see if it actually kills the fleas. Is there anything I can dilute it with to make it safe? Otherwise, anyone know of any natural flea remedies that actually work?

We're pulling our hair out here! shrug
[notify]

~Purrcy ~- Meohmy

I AM- MARSHMELLOW CAT!

Purred: Thu Sep 25, '08 6:09pm PST 
Pogo!
Please do not use any essential oils on cats! Cat's livers are unable to metabolize essential oils, so they are toxic to cats. Dogs can tolerate some essential oils, but I would advise caution!
My mumma is an aroma therapist.
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Thu Sep 25, '08 6:39pm PST 
I would advice against the tree tree oil aswell, very dangerous!!

This is what I did with flees, I got a lemon and put it in boiling water and let it sit for a few hours, drained off the pulp and put it in a spray bottle and put it in the fridge, I used that to spray on my kitties the one time we got flees. The were not harmful effects from that. I also sprinkled salt on their bedding and posts and along the baseboards, this kills flea eggs. Then Vaccume it up after a few hours. Some people swear by apple cider vinegar, but I havent tried that yet. I also mixed pinesol with water and sprayed the baseboards, this also kills fleas.
[notify]

Pogo

Purred: Fri Sep 26, '08 4:51am PST 
Oh that's great, I will definitely try that. We have hard wood floors that goodness and leather furniture so there's not many places for fleas to hide. I also heard that you can rub Diatomaceous earth in to their coats as long as they don't inhale any of the dust? Is this true, or would the lemon be safer? I'm just wary because I heard citrus was bad for cats?
[notify]

Loki

Purred: Sat Sep 27, '08 12:03pm PST 
OOOooo, I don't think tea tree oil is a good idea, I understand that it's very toxic. Most essential oils are very toxic. Even though you wouldn't be ingesting it, I'd be afraid of the oil being absorbed by your skin and the essences getting into your bloodstream that way.

Also, be very careful about using acidic agents (lemon/vinegar) on your kitties.

Mom used to use vinegar water on us and then I would ingest it when I cleaned myself. Over time, it made my urine too acidic and I got crystals. I had to go to the vet and have a catheter and take medicines to restore the ph of my urine and medicines to help my liver recover.

That was a hard lesson for all of us.

When we used to live in the Pacific Northwest, we were always fighting fleas. One trick that mom used to use was to get some flea collars, cut them into 2 inch strips and put them in her vacuum bags. Then she vacuumed every day for a week, and she was obsessive about it! She used every little tool on that vacuum to get into all the little corners and crevices in the walls, baseboards and furniture (even the lampshades! mol). She also got some flea spray in a squirt bottle and would spray it on the lawn and around the doors and windows outside.

Good luck with your battles, and hope you win the war!
[notify]

Pogo

Purred: Sat Sep 27, '08 5:11pm PST 
We've got hardwood floors luckily, so no fleas there. Thankfully. smile

Right now, we went and got some DE flea spray from Petco, so far it's working okay I think. I'm going to start adding a quarter of a clove of garlic to their food every week and hopefully, if we kill all the fleas on them, the garlic will help keep the others away. cheer
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Sat Sep 27, '08 5:45pm PST 
The lemon was fine on my cats, of course I only used it for a few days, I would not use it longer than that. Garlic can be toxic to cats so I'd be carfeul with that, andI would never buy any flea spray be it at a grocery store, or pet store, I have heard too many horror stories about alot of these products.
The vet would have the best stuff for killing flees, (stuff you would spray in the house) I dont like that Advantage stuff. or just try and do it naturally like what I mentioned before.
[notify]