GO!

Pooping | Puking all over?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Polar Cat

aka nin-nin

Purred: Sun Aug 3, '08 11:34am PST 
Well, my cat Polar Cat has been recently puking | pooping all over, and we are not sure why. My stepdad plans on putting him to sleep since we have a new-born baby in the house, but we're not sure about Polar Cat. Does anyone know why he can't stop pooping/puking? Because I'm really worried, and I don't want him to die. shrug
[notify]

Scooter ~- Our Angel

It's all about- 'The Scootster'

Purred: Sun Aug 3, '08 11:45am PST 
I see you've posted about this problem before, and it had been going on for a while then. How long has it been going on? Has he been seen by a vet for it?

He needs to see a vet to find out what is wrong. That is not normal.
[notify]

Polar Cat

aka nin-nin

Purred: Sun Aug 3, '08 12:04pm PST 
he doesn't poop all the time. sometimes he will use his litterbox and sometimes not. he eats and drinks fine and doesn't seem to be losing any weight at all or have any other signs of sickness. we're worried because it's hard to get a cat to stop going to the bathroom all over once they start.
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sun Aug 3, '08 12:17pm PST 
You need to have him checked. There may be a underlying medical problem for his behavior. The behavior will most certainly continue if there is a medical reason for it and if it's simply behavioral your vet can give you ideas about how to change it.

I have a few words however for your step father...
It is absolutely appalling that you would even consider euthanizing an animal because of a behavioral problem. I don't care if there is a newborn in the house or not. What happens when the newborn starts pooping on the floor??? Absolutely sickening.

To the OP,
rather than let your stepdad euthanize, if that is what he intends to do, please try and rehome the cat. Do not allow such behavior to dictate whether Polar Cat lives or dies.

My heart and purrs go out to you!!!
[notify]

Scooter ~- Our Angel

It's all about- 'The Scootster'

Purred: Sun Aug 3, '08 12:24pm PST 
There is usually some reason a cat doesn't use the litter box, although it may be hard for you to figure out why. It could be a medical issue, and if it were my cat, I'd want to make sure he isn't ill.

When he does not use the litter box, could it be that it's not clean? Are there territorial issues with any other cats in the house? Could anyone be intimidating him around the litter box, keepping him from using it sometimes? It could be something like changes in the household -- a new cat, new baby, changes in routines -- that have disrupted his life and upset him.

For multi-cat households, they say you should have one litter box for each cat plus one extra. That's a lot, and I had 2 cats and only 1 litter box for many years and there was never a problem. But 3 cats may be pushing it, with just 1 litter box. If you have only 1 litter box, that could be part of the problem.

Are you sure he's pooping outside the litter box? Sometimes it "hangs on" when the cat leaves the box, and drops off somewhere else.

Is he vomiting? You said he was pooping/puking all over.

edited to add: Hunter, I didn't see your post, since I was preparing mine at the time yours appeared. I hoped you would have some advice, since you always have such good advice.

Edited by author Sun Aug 3, '08 12:29pm PST

[notify]

Chloe

Purred: Sun Aug 3, '08 7:05pm PST 
Well it seems after looking at your page and your family's page it seems Polar is not the only cat but the other two are either indoor and outdoor. Seems like Polar stays in? Did this behavior start when the baby arrived? Do you think the other cats are messing with him? What does your step dad think of the other cats?

I do not want to assume but I am going to guess you are not the decision person in the house, you are a youngin... smile right? If that is the case then it is obvious you care about the health of Polar or you would not have posted a question or be on this site. Can you talk with your mom, can they help you take him to the vet? and if not could a family memeber help you discuss this with them or possibly take Polar to nurse him to health or until you can figure out what is causing this behavior?

Good luck to you and your kitty....
[notify]

Bandit

Talk to Me

Purred: Sun Aug 3, '08 9:42pm PST 
I agree with Hunter.
You don't put a cat to sleep because he's having a little digestive upset.

It is appalling to even think someone could suggest it.

Polar needs to be seen by a vet. What has he been eating? Has his routine been changed?

If you or your family can't or won't be responsible for his care then find someone who will. Call a shelter, a friend, neighbor, someone to find some help for this poor cat.

hug Polar Cat hug
[notify]

Polar Cat

aka nin-nin

Purred: Mon Aug 4, '08 4:39pm PST 
Thank you all for your care and help! I'll do what I can, and hopefully we'll be able to keep him if he starts using the litterbox again and stops puking. Oh, and the puking has been going down recently smile
[notify]

Scooter

Even the sun- loves me.

Purred: Tue Aug 5, '08 8:49am PST 
Well, kudos to you, doll, for caring so much about your Polar Cat to ask for outside wisdom. And it's good news to hear that the puking and pooping incidents have gone down. laugh out loud

Have you had Polar checked out by a vet? If so, what were the results? Has Dad calmed down now?

You mentioned a new baby? How new? I know that when things change in our household, my cats will do dumb things to show their dissatisfaction with the change. Cats hate change. I simply lavish more attention on them, make them feel comfortable again and the behavior resolves itself. However, if you have not had Polar checked out by a vet, please - do so just at least to give yourself peace of mind. If you need help with that, shout out. Maybe one of us can help you there.

Keep us posted on the events, 'K?
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Tue Aug 5, '08 9:41am PST 
Not using the litter box might be behavioral or it might be caused by a health problem. Vomiting, though, is involuntary and definitely a health problem.

Polar Cat needs to see the vet.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2