GO!

My cats claw fell off!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Fatso

Purred: Mon Nov 27, '06 8:20pm PST 
I found a claw on the carpet today. I examined my cat and found that one of his back foot's claw has fallen out. Some of the claw is still intact, but I am afraid it could get infected or something if it ripped off the nail bed. I just know when humans bite their nails too short it can get infected and hurt pretty bad. Should I be worried?
[notify]

DeeJay

Serve me and all- shall be well!

Purred: Tue Nov 28, '06 8:10am PST 
Is it just the outer shell of the nail or the entire nail in itself? Cats nails will sometimes 'snag' and lose an outer part, it it lost the nail in its entirety, I would recommend a vet visit and they can get infected and are QUITE painful.
[notify]

Poohbear

mama's boy

Purred: Tue Nov 28, '06 8:33am PST 
What timing, mommy just came back from vacation 2 weeks ago and read our caretakers note. He told her he found a little blood on the bed and that it was from my brother Smokey's pads (he has medical issues) and by the next day everything looked fine. When my mom checked out the blanket on the bed w/ a "little" blood on it she freaked out. There was a spattered trail of blood on the bed, there was blood in the bathroom, on the couch, in the kitchen. She knew it was not Smokey because he does not bleed like that. Then mommy went into the computer room and saw the furballs all over. Now she atleast knew there had been a fight between my sister and I, but why so violent, mom will never know. I wanted to be held so mom picked me up and streched my paw to touch her lip like I often do. The smell coming from my paw gagged my mother, it was horrible. I would not let her look at it for almost a week but she was able to see that my nail did not sheath off but broke down to the start of the 1st knuckle (for lack of better terms) . She did not give me anything just warm wet compresses & I took care of it myself. The smell is gone and now I have one less nail to trim. The vet said depending on the damage it can grow back but from the sounds of it probably will not. Mom does not know how I broke it (just figures in fight w/sister) or where , she searched but never found the nail. If this is similiar to your injury monitor and at least call the vet, see what they say.
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Tue Nov 28, '06 9:47am PST 
If the actual nail is hanging it needs to be removed. A vet can do this for you if you are too nervous about pulling it off yourself. It may bleed and in that case would need to be wrapped for several hours to apply pressure to the wound. In some cases antibiotics are given, but not in all cases.
[notify]

Fatso

Purred: Tue Nov 28, '06 1:36pm PST 
One side seemed to be the outer shell, the other seems to have ripped off pretty deep if that makes since. He hasn't seemed bothered by it. I am going to continue to monitor it. Thanks for all the advice! I think his came off while wrestling with my dog (its friendly playing).
[notify]