GO!

Do male and female cats still mate if both of them are fixed?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kitty Mongoose

Bringing Back- Old Fashion Sass

Purred: Thu May 11, '06 9:17am PST 
Hi I am thinking of getting another cat for a companion for my Kitty. But I was wondering if I get a male cat, will there be spraying going on inside my apartment? Or does spraying stop once both the male and female are fixed? Also, if the male is neutered, will he still try to mate? My Kitty is a female, is it better to get a female or male companion for her? Or no difference?
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Thu May 11, '06 9:36am PST 
I am no expert but lets see..... Mom had LuLu (girl) for 8 years before I came along. She was spayed early on. I (boy) came along and was fixed before I ever came into the house. LuLu sprayed only prior to being fixed and never after. I never sprayed. We live together as play friends and no mating has ever been attempted.

I was also mom's first boy kitty ever. She was nervous and didn't know what to expect but now she thinks boy kitties are the best.

I hope this helps a bit.
[notify]

Kali

This is MY house- and MY house- ONLY!

Purred: Thu May 11, '06 12:05pm PST 
Hi Kitty and Diego!

I had four cats; 2 boys and 2 girls. We fixed them all. One of the boys would still mount the girls and.... (you know) But we always made him stop! So I guess it all depends on the cat. My cat Rosy was fixed and would still go into a fake 'heat', rolling all over the floor and yoweling! You never know!

Purrs and Kitty Kisses
[notify]

Kali

This is MY house- and MY house- ONLY!

Purred: Thu May 11, '06 12:07pm PST 
Oh yeah, spraying USUALLY stops when you fix a male...if you get a kitten it will be a LOT eaiser tranisition for your 'Kitty' than if you were to get a grown male or female. The Grown Females will probably try to dominate each other and fight a lot! They may never get along!
[notify]

Zap *R.I.P- 15th Dec- 2009*

Live To Eat

Purred: Thu May 11, '06 10:28pm PST 
Yep some of us kitties sure do wanna still mate even after the nip and tuff down below.
I used to still have some male fun with my female feline friend for years after I had my male job done, she used to also sing out nice and loud for any male cats within the area, however she never liked it when I gave her some attention in that fashion.

I wouldnt be too concerned if a cat is trying to mate after it has been desexed as its just an action that isnt going to bring on babies.
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Thu May 11, '06 11:24pm PST 
I've lived with my adopted sister, Beatrice, since we were both very small (I'm about eight months older, and was neutered before she came to live with us).

A lot of times, even neutered cats in the same household will "hump" each other in a display of dominance. It isn't necessarily a sexual thing. Of course, even once the testes or ovaries have been removed, there are still very sensitive areas down there and it can feel good to rub them against someone.

Spraying shouldn't be a problem as long as a male cat is neutered before he's sexually mature (around 6 months). If you wait too long and he starts spraying before he's neutered, it could become a habit that's hard to break even after the surgery. It's best to neuter them before puberty.

Congratulations (maybe) on your new sibling, Kitty! smile

Lemur

I am sexy,- aren't I?!

Purred: Fri May 12, '06 2:51pm PST 
Very nice post Arthur. Thank you!!
[notify]

Kitty Mongoose

Bringing Back- Old Fashion Sass

Purred: Fri May 12, '06 4:31pm PST 
All of the repsonses are very helpful! Thank you smile
[notify]

Cosmo

I'd do it for a- Cosmo Snack

Purred: Fri May 12, '06 11:24pm PST 
Hi there
Although both males and females can spray even after being fixed, it's a lot less likely !
I am not sure whether you would get along better with a male or a female friend - in my experience it depends on the individual cat .....
However I'm not sure that getting a little kitten would necessarily mean more harmonious relations than getting a slightly older cat. When I was introduced to a little kitten (as an adult cat myself) I kind of freaked out!
Also, don't forget you'll have to be prepared to go through the whole 'challenging' kitten behaviour stage again smile
Depending on what sort of experience you are looking for, it may be better to get a companion a bit closer to your own age.
Good luck!
[notify]

Sophie

Little Pink- Nosies Rule!

Purred: Sat May 13, '06 5:54pm PST 
It can be a bit stressful to us older cats when kittens come into the house.
Not that I'm all that old, but when Benjamin came here I was not quite two, and I found his kitten antics and activity wearing thin after a while.
Mom found a place for me to escape, though- the high window sill that he couldn't jump onto. Hehehe!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2