GO!

How do you get over it?

Whether a cat dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved cat.

Owen

Meow, love me,- meow.

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 5:40pm PST 
Approx. four years ago, my cat disappeared and I am still not entirely over it. I still miss him and from time to time, want to cry for him.

Artemis was a black domestic short haired cat. When I found him, he was a stray, mangey, full of mites and underweight. He was approx 8 months to a year old when I found him. He was nervous and skittish with people, and scared of new situations, sudden noises or movements, etc. But he came up to me, and he cuddled with me. I was the only one he warmed up to. I begged and begged my mom to be allowed to take him home and she agreed, although she was skeptical.

Artemis became my heart and soul. I enjoyed all different times with him, good and bad. He was an indoor/outdoor cat. He was cleaned up at the vets, neutered, and fattened up at home. He became an all around great cat. Never did he trust strangers, but he slowly warmed up to certain members of my family. I taught him to sit and shake a paw for treats and he loved to be cuddled - although only on his terms.

When we moved, Artemis was not welcomed in the new neighborhood by the local tomcats and quickly got into a fight. After that, he was kept inside all the time. His leg was injured and healing and I refused to let him outside again, as much as I felt bad for cooping him up, because I did not want him to get hurt again. When I came home from school one day, he was missing. My uncle had let him outside.

My cat never came home again and some family believe the coyotes from the fields got him, with his injured leg and others believe he was taken in by some caring people and looked after. I put up fliers, I called vets and humane societies and cat rescues with his tattoo ID numbers and never did I find him.

I even went to the human societies to look at the cats and one, I had thought might have been him, turned out not to be. Same temperament, injured from cat fights, but sadly, no tattoo in his ear. I cried.

To this day, I miss my cat. I wish I could find him, even now. Art will always be my heart cat.

How do you get over it, accept it or let it go? This happened at least four years ago... I still miss my sweetheart and I know if it wasn't for him being let out that day, he would probably still be here with me.

I can't look at black cats with big yellow eyes anymore, without thinking of him.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 6:12pm PST 
To be perfectly honest, those of us who love animals this much, never do get over it completely. I lost Alex 2 1/2 years ago and I still mourn her death all the time. Most days are okay now that it's been awhile but I'll never in my lifetime get over it. You cannot have a creature embed themselves so deep into your heart and soul and not be affected it by it the rest of your life. It's got to be horrible for you not knowing what happened but at the same time, it might be too difficult to know. All I know is that if he is gone in body, he's not gone in spirit. All you have to do is let yourself feel him and he's there. hug
[notify]

Patch

Patch - wallpaper- stripper

Purred: Mon Feb 21, '11 12:57am PST 
I had a kitten from a friend at work. He was born 1/2/2010. A sweet little ginger boy, we called him Ginge. He had long fur and was gorgeous, he still is. I decided I couldn't feasibly keep 5 cats on pension, so another friend from work took him and Patch in and gave them a home. Patch came back to me after 1.1/2 days, I missed him so much and he showed no signs of eating or using tray while tyhere. Ginge on the other hand settled and got on with the other 4 cats there. I still keep up with Ginge as my friend posts pics on facebook for me and I have been to see him too. He knew Trev right away and sucked his ear like he did here.
[notify]

Benny Grunch- & Jimmy Dean- ILM

Brothers - Together Forever

Purred: Mon Feb 21, '11 7:36am PST 
I lost four cats all at once, in Hurricane Katrina. Three of there were littlermates and only four months old. I still think about them and miss them. However my current furry family has helped to heal the loss and hurt.

We all understand how you feel, every time you loose a beloved pet there is a hole in your heart.

The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

Patch

Purred: Mon Feb 21, '11 10:18am PST 
Oh noooo, what a horrible way to lose your babies xxxxxxxxx

I still feel teary when Sandy puts pics of Ginge up for me, I still love him to bits. Im did cry for Patch while he was at Sandys, in his profile pic he is 2 weeks old. I have had a bond with him because he was second born and not breathing very well, his first brother was stillborn. I still miss the cats I have lost one way and another over the last 60 years and still talk about them, it's no shame to miss them, they are family.
[notify]

Benny Grunch- & Jimmy Dean- ILM

Brothers - Together Forever

Purred: Mon Feb 21, '11 10:30am PST 
Thanks Patch. There were so many pets lost in Hurricane Katrina that the ASPCA put up a memorial to them in Lake Lawn Cemetary - at the base are carved bas-reliefs of dogs, cats, birds, fish, guinea pigs, ferrets, and snakes. The estimate of pets lost was in the six figures. A friend of mine saw this and told me about it, it gave me some comfort that none of the beloved pets lost in this terrible storm were forgotten.

As I said, my current furry family helped me to heal...they always know when I need some "kitty cuddles".

The New Orleans Kitties

P.S. Lake Lawn is actually a cemetary for humans, but the owner and his wife are BIG cat lovers, so they wanted the monument there
[notify]

Patch

Purred: Mon Feb 21, '11 12:15pm PST 
Oh how lovely of them, I couldn't see it happening here, the non animal folks would be up in arms.

Puuuuurs for the poor terrified animals, it's totally unimaginable what they felt, at least now they are whole again over the bridge god bless them all.xxxxxxxxxx
[notify]

Owen

Meow, love me,- meow.

Purred: Mon Feb 21, '11 1:02pm PST 
Thanks for the support guys.

That truly must have been a horrible way to lose your furry babies. I would be devastated. I live in an area that is highly unlikely to get many natural disasters like hurricane katrina, or earthquake, tornadoes, etc. It's just our area and the way we align with the mountains, I suppose. We get tornadoes outside of the city though.

I have a friend who was in the Australia flood waters, her home was there and because she couldn't take her puppies, she stayed there with them. Boarded herself up into the house while her daughter and granddaughter were e-vacced. She wouldn't leave her pups behind. I commend her all the time for her courage and her dedication to sticking with her pets. I would have done the same.

It does get easier... And I don't cry anymore, but it's still a wrench in my heart.
[notify]

♥Simo- n♥

Mommy's baby- kitty

Purred: Mon Feb 21, '11 8:09pm PST 
We are so sorry for your loss and know the pain you feel from the emptiness. The hole never heals but does get smaller. Mom was crying when she read your post. You are not alone in your feelings and Catster has been a wonderful place to come for support and kindness from those who simply understand. We send our heartfelt condolences to all those who are grieving and missing their furkids.

Hugs and purrs,
Simon & Reuben(an angel)
hughughughug
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Mon Feb 21, '11 11:00pm PST 
Every single time I hear the story about the New Orleans kitties I get very emotional. I just can't imagine that agony. Sigh. It's true what Simon said, the hole just gets a little smaller but it doesn't completely mend. But that's where we come in. I wished I'd had this place when Alex passed away. I really do. This is a very loving community. hug
[notify]