GO!

Your Emergency Contact Cards (Preparing for Life without Mom or Dad)

Whether a cat dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved cat.

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Hazel Lucy &- Mazie & Max

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Thu May 15, '08 10:19am PST 
I hope we'll come together and create a simple plan that anycat/dog can implement. The shock of losing Aldo, Tess and Noelle's mom is terrifying. We send our prayers and if other support is needed, you know we'll pull together for them.
Be prepared for emergencies. What happens if your mom/dad dies? Plan for the unthinkable. Let's create a checklist that can be posted in the home and given to several people so that we don't end up in shelters.

Web page with samples, still a work in progress:
Emergency Contact Cards

Please help publicize the link in Dogster too.

1. Wallet Card (animal name, vet clinic, address, phone, person(s) to contact)
2. Larger Card for Vehicle Glove Box (more detailed info)
3. Full-size Sheet for Posting in the Home
a. Animal Name(s)
b. Vet clinic name, address, phone
c. Contact persons names and phone numbers and their relationship to you
d. Age of animals, whether or not spayed, has claws, micro-chipped, etc.
e. Medication needs
f. Type and names of food and where purchased
g. General feeding times and amounts
h. Type of Litter used
i. A paragraph about animal's personality, shy, affectionate, don't pick up, enjoys being brushed, plays with toys, not active, etc.
4. Know who will care for or give animals a home
5. Inform several people of your wishes in writing so that they know whom to call
6. Put small photo(s) on the cards. Have photos of animals in your wallet.
7. I have given my Catster logon and password to a trusted fellow Catster.

Hazel Lucy

Edited by author Sun May 18, '08 5:56pm PST

[notify]

Ashlye&heart- s;Delicious- Dazzle

The Boss

Purred: Thu May 15, '08 10:34am PST 
We are so sad about Laurel's passing I think this touched all of us , we are puuurring and praying real hard for Aldo, Tess & Noelle

Mom has a Living Will where we all of us are on it , also we think that would be great if you have a list of people that could take care of us if something like that happens

Very Sad
Ashlye & Troop

Edited by author Thu May 15, '08 10:36am PST

[notify]

Smudge

Sweet Cheeks !!

Purred: Thu May 15, '08 10:37am PST 
what a great idea Hazel Lucy, yes it does make you stop and think about it, here in the UK a few Animal Wlefare charitys, give out cards that you fill in and register with them so that in the unfortunate event of anything happening if your furbabies are left alone, they will help with your wishes ie ,help to find a loving home or get in contact with any family or freinds you have registered with them and take your babies in until they can be cared for hug

Edited by author Thu May 15, '08 10:39am PST

[notify]

BRUCE (THE- BOSS)

Born to Run &- Born to Moo Boo

Purred: Thu May 15, '08 10:47am PST 
What a great thread Hazel Lucy. This has been going through Mums mind all day, and always does when her and Dad go away, if something should happen to them both. But she never does anything about it, its times like this that make her realise she needs to do something.

She also wonders how all her Catster friends would know if anything happened to her. She is going to ensure Dad and her Mom have contact details for people she would want to be contacted if anything happened.

Such a sad sad time for us all hug

Samoa - Diva Angel

Supreme- Detective &- Beauty Queen

Purred: Thu May 15, '08 10:49am PST 
We have also shared a phone number/address with someone we are close to on Catster/Dogster. That way if none of us show up for awhile, someone has a way of checking in to see what is going on.
[notify]

Mouse- ♥

The one and- only.

Purred: Thu May 15, '08 10:58am PST 
What great ideas.
They are certainly something to think very seriously about.

Here in UK we also have a charity called "The Cinnamon Trust" It's a nationwide charity based in Cornwall but not a lot of people are aware of it's existence.
The Trust will take any pet, dog, cat, birds, they even have horses & goats if the carer dies.
The younger pets are permenently fostered out to very carefully vetted & selected homes.
The older pets go to live out their days at one of the two sanctuaries the trust owns. One in Cornwall & one in Devon. There are no pens or cages & it's just like a home from home.
[notify]

Phoebe

Girls Just Wanna- Have Fun

Purred: Thu May 15, '08 11:25am PST 
You know, we have friends on Catster who would wonder what happened to us if we didn't show up on line.

I think a list of people to contact is something to be included. We know that our Aunt Julie will take care of us. She wants to start an animal shelter anyway and she lives on a farm. So she knows we're headed her way if anything happens to both Daddy and Mama.

But she and Uncle Donald don't know who to tell if that happens. So Mama's going to make a list of people and leave it with her will.
[notify]

RueRue

Meezers are- Pleezers

Purred: Thu May 15, '08 11:47am PST 
I would love to see this implemented as mom has no living family and all her friends have already fur kids.

Mom needs to do a day of planning for sure.
[notify]

Hazel Lucy &- Mazie & Max

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Thu May 15, '08 11:52am PST 
Just made a wallet card that included:
Vet's name, address and phone number
Also Buddie's mom's name and phone number saying she would be the one to take me if something happened to mom.
Also, the amount of insulin I receive each day.

Printed it out on cardstock, cut to size, and put clear package tape all over it. Now it goes into mom's wallet next to the Blue Cross card!

Made a full-size sheet and posted it on the side of the fridge and will give copies to several friends. Also will give my catster password and account info to at least one person so that we don't lose touch.
HL

Oh, and make a larger emergency info card to go into the glove box in all vehicles. Emergency personnel are sure to find it.

Edited by author Thu May 15, '08 12:06pm PST

[notify]

Miss Mittens- - Angel DG #14

Angel Diva

Purred: Thu May 15, '08 12:00pm PST 
This is a terrific idea! Thank you Hazel Lucy for starting this topic. Mommy worries about this a lot. Here's some ideas mommy has picked up in discussions with others.

In addition to Hazel Lucy's terrific idea about taping a card or notice to the inside of your front door with emergency contact numbers, it's also a good idea to put something in your wallet too, either with or taped to your driver's license or insurance card (or both) in case of an accident. If you're unconsious, you'd have no way of letting anyone else know that you have animals at home -- so list how many, what kind and emergency phone numbers, etc.

A regular Will may not be enough and your pets could be put in a shelter and euthanized if that's all you have. You should have a Living Will/Advance Directive with a clause devoted to describing exactly what you want to happen to your pets when you're gone. Most important is to find someone you totally and completely trust to be the executor/trustee of your will and who has the power of attorney and discuss this in detail with them and have them agree to do exactly as you wish. Check your state's laws and find out what is and isn't valid.

The AGING WITH DIGNITY website has a document and form you can use called Five Wishes. You can state exactly how you want your pets cared for in this document. It's valid and legal in 40 states. You can check which ones it is and isn't legal in. If it's not legal, you need to find out what is legal in your state.

If you can't find anyone you trust to care for your pets when you're gone, you should look into a shelter in your area which will take and care for you pets in old age. I live in New Jersey and the only one I know about is the POPCORN ZOO but there are many other similar groups in other states. Their website also has a section explaining estate planning and pets Popcorn Zoo Estate Planning.

I look forward to effuryone else's ideas.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8