GO!

What should I know about sphynx?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Bellinda - (in loving- mewmory

the magical puff

Purred: Fri Jul 13, '07 1:47pm PST 
I reeeeeeeally want another cat, but my brother Is allergic to cat fur, so I thought I could get a sphynx cat. thing is I don't know much about them other than they are hairless. Is there anything I should Know? also, How can I convince my mom they arn't too ugly to live with?
[notify]

Hank

Run-Play-Eat-TER- RORIZE HUMANS!

Purred: Sun Jul 15, '07 1:55pm PST 
I am a Sphynx and I am gorgeous! My people love my warm,sticky, loose skin. My looks grow on everyone, at first people squeal when they see me but once they touch me, pet me and tug on my skin they are sold! My mommy got me because her dad is terribly allergic to cats and he isn't allergic to me, in fact he adores me and I sleep with him whenever I get a chance to. When he calls me I come running! I love to rub against whiskery faces!
We Sphynxes do need baths regularly and we must stay inside for our own protection. We eat a lot of food and are usually extremely animated and friendly. We really aren't ugly, we are unique and beautiful! I hope your mom lets you adopt a Sphynx she will never regret it!
[notify]

Radar

Don\'t you know- who I am?!

Purred: Thu Jul 19, '07 6:09pm PST 
We have two sphynx and they are FABULOUS! To meet one is to fall in LOVE! They are DEFINATELY more high maintenance (baths, ear cleaning) BUT worth every single second of it!
[notify]

Larry

Tastefully Nude

Purred: Fri Sep 7, '07 6:06pm PST 
Purchasing a Sphynx is something you will NEVER regret. They are so curious as to what their human family members are always doing. They love to be in the mix of things. Look down at your heels and most likely, your Sphynx will be tagging along behind you. I guess my only advice would be to shop carefully for your Sphynx. Make sure the breeder is reputable, and preferably in your area so you can physically see the kittens before you make any decisions.

My fiance is highly allergic to cats, and has never complained of any allergy symptoms with any of our hairless companions. Their love and loyalty is one-of-a-kind, and I've never experienced such joy with a pet! Good luck!
[notify]

Fiona

Kiss me if you- think I'm cute

Purred: Fri Feb 1, '08 10:59am PST 
I too am allergic to cats, but my three Sphynx dont bother me at all!!
[notify]

Bonnie - In Memory

Purred: Thu Jul 30, '09 1:00pm PST 
Hello! Just found this Sphynx discussion group. Sorry no one seems to have answered the Q in many of the posts. I will try to help where I can!

As for allergies, most people are allergic to the dander and saliva-based PROTEIN secreted by cats, not the fur itself. Thus, a Sphynx will, more often than not, still cause an allergic reaction. The reaction might be delayed, as a Sphynx does not leave hair lying around, but the reaction will likely still happen. Please visit a house where Sphynxes live for a few hours before thinking about bringing one home. I still caused a reaction in my mother-in-law. Hmmm...pawrhaps there ARE some benefits...
[notify]