GO!

Breed spacific rescue/adoption?

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Mittens

Purred: Sun Dec 15, '13 1:01pm PST 
Ok, so we have a little girl named mittens and she is 5 months old and we live in a smaller apartment. she is wonderful but, very active and we feel bad she is all alone so we would like to get another kitty for her but we have a few concerns. Firstly, my husband is allergic. not severely, as long as he keeps her out of his face, and I keep the house very clean, and wash bedding and things he seems to be perfectly fine with no problems. my concern is that if we get another domestic shorthair, it will be twice the hair and dander in our smaller apartment that despite my effort to keep it clean he would have a reaction. so I would like to get a cat that is more hypoallergenic, specifically a Siberian. I feel that there personality would fit well with our lifestyle. now, is there any way that I can adopt or rescue a specific breed? I also would love a kitten or a least a young adult because I would like there energy level to be similar. I might have to end up getting it through a breeder but id like to rescue if I could. any thoughts?

TIAkitty
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Dec 16, '13 4:37am PST 
I would start with an internet search for a breed specific rescue, but then branch out - contact all your local rescues letting them know what you're looking for. If they don't have one they may know someone who does.

Having kittens in pairs is a really great idea. Please do whatever you can to adopt rather than buy a cat. Even if it takes a little longer to find one, it will be well worth it.
[notify]

Mittens

Purred: Mon Dec 16, '13 9:43am PST 
Thank you,

I did try doing a local search and a few did come up but honestly, I didn't really trust the websites it did not look legit. I think I might have to contact our local shelters and see if they can keep an eye out for me. would you know if its mixed would it still have the hypoallergenic?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Dec 16, '13 1:46pm PST 
I'm sorry I don't know the answer to that question. But anecdotally, my brother is very allergic to cats but doesn't have a problem with BK. We think it might be because BK is on a raw diet which may keep dander to a minimum. I can't prove this, but it might be something to look into to see if it might help.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Apr 16, '14 3:39pm PST 
Rescuing a specific cat breed can be tricky. People that spend the time and money to get a specific breed of cat (especially more expensive breeds) often take good care of their animals. It is possible to find one that got lost, etc., but it's going to be hard to find.

Rather than getting set on one specific breed of hypoallergenic cat, you could try another breed that has been found to cause fewer allergies. Here is a link to some: http://www.infobarrel.com/Breeds_of_Hypoallergenic_Cats
[notify]