GO!

Queenie found, but terribly changed

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Wed Nov 13, '13 5:47pm PST 
It's Stella. When our person came home from the store this afternoon, she called out for Queenie and Fluff, down the side of the trailer and out into the field. Imagine her surprise when a cat popped out from under the trailer with little white feet! We moved the humane trap over there and baited it with tuna. In less than an hour we had caught her--and caught is the operative word. She does not seem to remember us or the house or me, For a while we were not even sure it was Queenie--there are a lot of grey and white tabbies around here. She is shut in the bathroom now and my person has gotten a good look at her, especially her "M" on her forehead, and cuddled her. It's Queenie, but she has gone almost completely wild and has lost most of the house training she had.

We re-baited the trap and hope that Fluff is under there too, but they ran off separately and we're not sure if they ever got back together. Our person was always really worried about Fluff who has never seemed very smart and is very shy and kind of goofy.

Our person is now debating whether she will keep Queenie or try to find another home for her, perhaps as a farm cat or with someone who has more experience with feral cats. Fluff was always more people oriented. We thought they should stay together, but maybe not. Then of course there is the problem of how I will deal with these newly wild cats. We weren't the best of friends but I really missed them.

Thanks to everyone who purred for us, and please keep purring for Fluff who is a big sweet goof and not any kind of a hunter at all. We hope the coyotes didn't get him.
[notify]

Mr D - D'boat #19

Yikes!

Purred: Thu Nov 14, '13 10:29am PST 
Are you sure it's Queenie? When we found D after 6 months he was his same ol' self. He sat in his usual spots, still had the same mannerisms. It was like he never left other than he was really skinny and the other cats hissed at him. For us there was no doubt it was him. For us it was lucky as D had a few things that we could look for. He had a hock at the end of his tail. His head has a sharp cone shape from when he was born(all these are under the fur. Then there was all the usual markings. Since Queenie has only been gone a short time. It may not be her?shrug
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Thu Nov 14, '13 11:45am PST 
It's Stella. No, it's definitely Queenie. She does not have a lot of distinctive markings, but she has a very distinctive round shape and very soft fur. When my person held her, she tucked her head under her arm and purred the way she always does. Late last night she came out when my person microwaved one of those dinners that always smell so great and loved around wanting that. But she didn't eat that and no one has eaten anything over night or is asking for food. We heard her howling around dawn, and I joined in, so I guess we are howling for Fluff. We are so loud that if he is under our trailer or nearby he would hear us!

We don't know where Fluff is or how we can get him back. He is so big that he would be able to eat the bait from the humane trap and just back out without getting caught. We are not sure what they were eating, but Queenie used the pan so it must have been something, since she was not that ravenous.

When Delyte came home in 2005 after being gone 6 days, there was no doubt that it was him and he was his usual self or even more affectionate after. I can see how it would be hard to tell with some cats. Almost all of the cats in this trailer park are grey tabby with white markings, due to the activities of my dadcat, a free-roaming part Angora male who lived in one of the trailers here and was allowed outdoors. Our momcat had 11 kittens in two years, most by him, and there were other females around then. I look just like my dad, so much so that our person tried to catch him once, thinking he was me and I had gotten out of the house! The people at the shelter said it was hopeless with black cats, but Delyte had two distinctive white patches growing over the scars from his surgery so he would have been much easier.

You can get cats nose printed--our noses are like fingerprints for people. A good close up of the face, especially with tabbies showing their M marking over the eyes, was invaluable for us. Fluff will be easy as he has an enormously long tail.

We are still frantic about Fluff, who was always much more affectionate and social than Queenie. He must be so miserable without her and our person. All of his waking time was devoted to trying to get her to pet him, it seemed.
[notify]

Mr D - D'boat #19

Yikes!

Purred: Thu Nov 14, '13 12:52pm PST 
Have you taken a small camera around and photographed in small places like drains, under the trailers, the human found that was really handy when she couldn't see into those spots. She'd put her hand in take a photo and then view it on the screen or back on the computer. Just to settle her mind that I wasn't trapped or hiding there. Also they say that cats can go into survival mode and not say anything when you call. They could be right under your nose and you wouldn't know it.
One Day Sam got out of the house when she wasn't suppose to and the human looked everywhere. Sam had a tracking device on her collar which helped.
The human tracked her about 100 yards from the house even when we called she did not say anything. She was up on top of the axil of a large truck The only thing that gave away her position was the beeping on the collar and the little flashing light. If it wasn't for that we wouldn't have known she was there (it was all black and dark under there).
They sat there waiting and talking to her before she got her confidence to meow back and then slowly come down.
For us that was a shock as it showed it's near on impossible to find a kitty if it's in hiding / survival mode.

Edited by author Thu Nov 14, '13 12:53pm PST

[notify]

Mr D - D'boat #19

Yikes!

Purred: Thu Nov 14, '13 12:54pm PST 
I'm glad you got Queenie backapplause
[notify]

Queenie

I want it and I- WILL get it!

Purred: Thu Nov 14, '13 4:59pm PST 
It's Queenie. I am a lot better, cuddling with my person, eating a little and laying on the cat tree. Our male person said he saw a grey cat outside when he pulled up in the car, outside the window where our cat tree looks out. We have moved the trap there and keep calling. I am wandering around caterwauling and looking for Fluff inside, which is what I was doing at dawn this morning, waking my person. She knows that if she went out at dawn and looked, she might see him, as that is when cats are active.

Purrs to all who are purring for us! Ironically, today is the six year anniversary of our gotcha day, when we were brought inside from our feral life, after our momcat died and left us alone. We used to come to the door and get fed and have a special hiding spot under the trailer to get away from dogs and coyotes.
[notify]

Queenie

Purred: Fri Nov 15, '13 11:41am PST 
It's Queenie. I am even more myself and very affectionate to my person. We have pretty much stopped howling and looking for my brother. No luck in getting him into the trap. My person is going to go out near dusk and call him again, as far as she can walk. We all miss him and he is a big doofus and can't take care of himself.

Thanks to all who purred for me and sent me gifts. Catster cats are the best! wave
[notify]

♥Kall- y- Kat♥

☆Diva- on- Demand☆

Purred: Fri Nov 15, '13 4:22pm PST 
I'm so glad & happy your home Queenie! big hug

Now, I'm purrin & prayin for Fluff to make it home too! meditate meditate meditate
[notify]

Pounce

Will purr for- petting!

Purred: Sun Nov 17, '13 7:52am PST 
We're so happy that Queenie is home and doing well! We send giant purrs in hopes that Fluff will be found safe.
[notify]

Queenie

Purred: Sun Nov 17, '13 10:00am PST 
It's Queenie. Still no sign of Fluff, and no response to our sign in the community building. There was a terrible storm last night and more predicted for today, so we hope he was under a building last night.

We caught another of our fur siblings two nights ago in the trap. Our dadcat was a distinctively marked part Angora cat who was allowed to roam over a trailer court where there were dozens of pet cats and many ferals. Almost every kitten born here in ten years is related to us! red face

I am cuddling my person every chance I get and eating a LOT of cat food, to get the best out of this indoor cat gig!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2