GO!

moving and want to take the outside stray I've been feeding with me

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Mittens

Purred: Thu Sep 26, '13 4:57am PST 
Just a thought but do you think you could get a collar for the stray cat and attach a note to it for whoever is also caring for him? Explain the situation and put your contact information on the note for them. A friend of mine did that with an outdoor cat once. thinking
[notify]

Purred: Thu Sep 26, '13 5:57am PST 
He will not let me touch him. He does not hiss or try to hit me or even run away, he just backs up. I may put flyers up somewhere a few blocks away with his picture on it asking if snyone knows him and is caring for him. I am so sick over him. I will be heartbroken if I leave and was unable to help him.
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Sun Sep 29, '13 11:23am PST 
I totally understand your dilemma. I manage a colony of about 13, and we will probably move in 2-3 years. First off, I could never re-trap all of them, and honestly especially since it has been 3 years, Rocky is adjusted to his surroundings. Cats are creatures of habit, and to uproot him, while your intentions are awesome, he would be disoriented & unhappy. If there are other ferals in your new place, there will be fights. He can get hurt trying to make it back to his original home. You have heard of cats travelling great distances to get back home. I have done this souls search myself - I get it, I really do. But honestly I would start cutting back on the feeding so he comes around less, and then stop. I know it sounds cruel, but this way he won't be hanging around the new people that move in that very well could be bad news for him. If they get mad & call animal control - ferals are put down - no chances. It might not have been as bad if he was more approacheable, but what you are describing is a true feral - he won't make a housecat. The kindest thing you could do, is if you can trap him - take him in for TNR. WHen you release him, he will be ticked off, and if you do not put food out, he will most likely go on his merry way, and you will know that he is fixed & there won't be any more babies from him. I know I probably did not give you the answer your heart wanted, but really the best thing is to leave him where he is. You have saved little Poe, and that is great! I am sorry - I know it hurts....I have been there & I know how I will feel when I have to do the same with my colony. I have a few that I can actually pet, or they stop for a quick butt scratch. I purposely try not to get them too friendly, cause I do not want them to trust the wrong person - because I know eventually they will be on their own. hug
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2