GO!

moving and want to take the outside stray I've been feeding with me

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Purred: Mon Sep 23, '13 5:22am PST 
I NEED HELP! I have been feeding a stray black cat that I call Rocky for 3 years. He comes here for breakfast every day and sometimes dinner. He will lay on the property sometimes. He seems to have someone else who may be helping him also because he has someplace to go in the winter and inclement weather. I have no way of finding out if someone else is helping him. I know that I can't leave him here when we moved if he has no one to care for him. He will not let me touch him or handle him but he does not try to hit me or hiss at me. He very often comes when I call his name. The problem is I don't know how to get him and bring him with us. He is too smart to get trapped and he won't let me get behind him to scruff him. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS AS TO WHAT I CAN DO TO SAVE HIM AND TAKE HIM WITH US? We have only two weeks before we have to get out of here. ALSO, two weeks ago I see a little black dot in the yard, as I approach it it takes off and hides. I come to find it is a tiny black kitten, too small to be on it's own fending for itself. We bought a tiny trap and trapped her. We took her to the vet, got her dewormed and first shots she was estimated to be 6 weeks old, much to young to be trying to survive by herself. We have named her Poe for Edgar Allen Poe's short story THE BLACK CAT. She is adorable but i can not believe someone would just dump a baby to die in the woods. ALL OF THIS WHILE PACKING AND CRYING AND FLIPPING OUT. i really need help with what to do about Rocky, counting on you guys for some help. Do I take him or leave him behind?? Thank you so much !!
[notify]

Purred: Mon Sep 23, '13 10:51am PST 
Plus does anyone know how to get a kitten to eat her kitten chow. The kitten will only eat tuna which we used to trap her. She will not no matter what I do eat the kitten chow. She is so thin. I've tried the tuna juice on the kibble, I've tried that cat milk product cat sip or whatever it is called and she will just not eat the kibble. She needs it and I don't know what to do.
[notify]

Midas

'cause his touch- is too much!

Purred: Mon Sep 23, '13 8:46pm PST 
First I will address trying to catch Rocky. Do you have access to a cat trap? If you do, set it up so it won't trap and start feeding him next to it. You have time, not a lot, but hopefully enough, to give him confidence around the trap. Over a few days move the food closer and closer to the trap until it is in the mouth of the trap. Then over the next few days move it further and further back into the trap. Once you see him going in all the way, set it to actually trap! Otherwise, I think there might be some other traps that work that more experienced trappers use, but I don't know what they are. As for if he is owned or cared for by someone else, well, that is your call. If you do trap him though, once you move he will have to be indoors for a while or he will probably just run away. If he is already neutered, I would suggest leaving him as he is probably either owned or part of a feral colony that someone is managing.

As for Poe, how tiny is she? It could be that she is just not ready for hard food. Try giving her canned food instead. Much softer and healthier for kitties anyways. Mix some tuna in if you must at first. The tuna will blend with the canned food better anyways. There is a good chance she was not intentionally dumped but instead just got separated from a feral momma. People seem to find kittens all sorts of places, and they often get their themselves.

Of course, you probably already know this, but do get Poe, and Rocky if you catch him and he is not neutered, spayed and neutered once able. Best of luck, and thank you for having a caring heart!
[notify]

Purred: Tue Sep 24, '13 4:39am PST 
I do have Poe. She is doing fine, except for her not wanting to try kitten chow. Rocky is an entirely different issue. Thank you so much for your response. I GREATLY appreciate your insight and your time. I will follow your instructions.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Sep 24, '13 4:59am PST 
I'm going to second Midas on the kibble - it's not good for her and she must know it. Get her on canned food, kitten food if you can. Mixing the tuna in is a great idea to get her started.

As for the feral, I think you're going to have to leave him. He doesn't sound like he's going to be a housecat and you can't just move him to a strange yard. That's not fair to him. Maybe you can ask around the neighborhood and confirm someone else is helping to take care of him? He really needs to be fixed though. Is his ear tipped?
[notify]

Purred: Tue Sep 24, '13 10:37am PST 
No one in my neighborhood likes cats. They all chase them away. He must be going blocks over and I don't know anyone over in that direction to even ask about him. I do not think he is fixed. He does not seem to have an ear tip thing. I will be wildly worried about him.

Edited by author Tue Sep 24, '13 10:39am PST

[notify]

Purred: Tue Sep 24, '13 10:40am PST 
Little Poe is only about 8 weeks old now.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Sep 24, '13 6:22pm PST 
Instead of CatSip, which is only a milk treat, use kitten milk replacer. Kitten milk replacer has all of the vitamins and minerals a kitten needs. KMR is one brand you can find at the pet store. It comes as a powder (you mix it with water according to the directions) and as a liquid. Mix a little milk replacer into canned food.

Never ever soak dry food in liquid of any kind. Hamrful bacteria will grow and your kitten will get an upset tummy.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Sep 25, '13 9:21am PST 
Thank you for responding. I am so worried about the outside stray. It will break my heart to leave him behind if I can not trap him. I desperately want to help him.
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Wed Sep 25, '13 9:00pm PST 
It's Stella. I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but my person had to move and took a mother cat and her kittens with her to the new house. But they would not adjust to the new house and neighborhood and the mother took the kittens one by one and ran off. You would have to keep them all inside for the rest of their lives and give them a good life. Some older cats who have lived outdoors go crazy if they are kept inside, even though that is the only safe place for a kitty. You probably have a good chance with Poe--almost all of my person's cats were outside strays that lived long lives inside, especially Delyte who lived to 18. My brother, sister and I were wild kittens born to a stray that my person fed, and here we are in the pampered lap of luxury, with a giant cat tree and all the healthy food we can eat!

You are a wonderful person to try to care for all of these kitties, and we are all purring for you. I got caught in a humane trap and although I hated it at the time, it was the greatest moment of my life! Kind people are wonderful! big grin
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2