GO!

We need some help with our new cat.

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Purred: Wed Aug 28, '13 8:20pm PST 
We have a stray cat that we and our neighbors have been taking care of for about 2 years. We feed her, give her shelter etc. She had kittens in April and we got her spayed after the kittens were weaned. We took in one of her kittens and the rest found homes. On Monday the 19th our "momma cat" got injured. We rushed her to the vet and on the following Friday she came home. She has a problem with her eye and her leg. The vet didn't do any testing and couldn't tell us what is wrong with them. When she was released we brought her to our apartment so when I say home that is what I mean. So since she came back, her kitten has been playing really ruff with her and she spends a lot of time under the bed. We really want to make sure that we are taking the best care of her but we don't know if her being around her baby is the best idea. All of our neighbors have other cats so they cannot take her in and no one from rescue groups can help us unless we sign over ownership to them. Any ideas?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Aug 29, '13 5:18am PST 
Is she feral? Can you touch her? Why didn't the vet do any testing? I don't understand. If that vet cant' find out what's wrong with her, find another vet. If there's a physical issue it's going to affect how she acts in the house. It could be that her kitten is "bullying" her because she's ill. You need to get to the bottom of that first and then worry about behavior.
[notify]

Purred: Thu Aug 29, '13 5:50am PST 
She isn't feral. We can pick her up and touch her.We think someone dumped her along with some other cats in our neighborhood. With the vet, when I picked her up they didn't tell me anything about her eye or leg. All they told me was that she might not have full sight and that her leg wasn't broken. I didn't even get pain meds for her for some reason. She's ok but she is now scared of going into a cat carrier and hides at the sound of cars.
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Thu Aug 29, '13 1:36pm PST 
It's Stella. I got adopted as a a kitten while my mother, who was too feral to handle, stayed outside. I don't think either of us recognized the other as a relative after that. Cats are normally separated from their mothers and thereafter may have nothing to do with them. You have brought a sick strange cat into your new cat's home, and this is pretty normal reaction. Keep them separated and find out why momcat is in pain, poor thing. If you end up keeping momcat, then you will have to go through the introduction phase. Did momcat ever have any shots or worming when she was at the vet? A feral living outside can get infected with things that you don't want inside.

You can look on my page for a picture of me interacting with my Momcat after we were separated--through a screen door. To me she was just another of the outside cats by then. She disappeared the next year and we think she died.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Aug 30, '13 5:09am PST 
I agree with Stella. Assuming she's been vaccinated and checked for fleas and worms I would just let them work it out at their own pace. We have a lot of fosters coming in and out and some just take longer to adjust. Good luck!
[notify]