GO!

Help with trapping a nice, but timid feral kitty

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kitty Pryde

Purred: Fri Apr 19, '13 11:35am PST 
I hope this is the right place to post! Tonight I am planning to trap my outside feral kitty, who has warmed up to me where she mews and we "chat" but she doesn;t allow touching yet-I am bringing her to Fix Nation tomorrow for spay and vet care, and then need to keep her overnight. I wrote it in Kitty Pryde's diary too-but if the plan is to hopefully get her more used to me enought to bring her in-do I still let her go after her spay? What if something goes wrong after she is released and her wounds get infected or something? and what if she has to potty in the trap-will she? She is sweet, but still doesn't allow touch like I said, but she comes every night and she and Kitty play by the front door. Or should I just let her free and see what happens?
Thanks so much!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Apr 20, '13 7:55am PST 
Assuming she clears a vet check, I would try to keep her in. Let Kitty Pryde see her through the carrier and see what happens. You may need to let her go if she screams to be let out, but if you keep her in and are patient you may be richly rewarded!
[notify]

Kitty Pryde

Purred: Sat Apr 20, '13 9:06am PST 
Tank you BK! Well, since Kitty has had trouble with other kitties, it has been a scary thought, but she and this kitty have aquatinted themselves through the door of my apt for months and have been face to face. I caught the kitty last night and he is a boy, not a girl! And he is at the rescue getting neutered right now. He had a medical concern, this morning he peed lots of blood, so they are checking that out. At advice from some furrriends, I set up a large dog crate and am going to let him recover in there. Hopefully it will all go well!
[notify]

Tambolina

No...the magic- is still- here...!!!

Purred: Mon Apr 22, '13 2:35am PST 
Good luck with your feral boy....hope he's OK....perhaps you can keep him?
[notify]

Kitty Pryde

Purred: Mon Apr 22, '13 9:03am PST 
He is very scared right now-trying to see how he does and what he wants and what Kitty wants too! She hasn't reacted much-she has pretty much been avoiding the corner where his kennel is-He is starting to get more alert again, but is hiding in a little tunnel like bed in there. He only hissed a little once, and started going potty like normal finally! I will see how the next few days go-I always get nervous about the reaction from other pawrents if I let him back out, but also I am not sure if he can or wants to be inside since all I know is he has been outside his whole life. One day at a time!
[notify]

Jimmy Riddle

I have come- home...maybe....

Purred: Tue Apr 23, '13 3:09am PST 
Oh so much good luck and good thoughts to you, Kitty Pryde and the feral boy.....I so hope he will let you keep him....but it may be that he will want to be out all the time, but will come to you for food...my stepdaughter has a feral cat like that...but, Oh I hope he will let you keep him....

But, as you say....one day at a time...

Jan

ps. Jimmy was the stray (not feral) that we caught in a cat-trap 2 and a half years ago.....
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Wed Apr 24, '13 4:54am PST 
You are my cat hero of the day! I always have one every day, LOL, and you are it today! What you did for this poor, feral boy....it warms my heart. You changed his life. Even if he ends up not being able to stay in and get along with your other kitty, at least he would be going back outside fixed and not making any more babies, so that is awesome. He won't fight, or wander. I hope it works out. You just have to take it slowly, introducing with other cats. His world is crazy right now, going from living on the streets to being inside, that is a huge adjustment for him, so I would expect hissing, and him being scared. I would not try to handle him too much, I don't want you to get scratched or bitten, and if he did, it would be out of fear. Trust me, he loves you and will love you like no other cat for changing his life. So take it very slowly. Don't be in any rush to do a face to face out in the open meeting with any other kitties. I would let him get comfy in whatever room you have him in, they say for at least a week....I would go even longer. I left one of my cats in his own room for 2-3 weeks, because he was very scared, before I let him even venture out of the room. And when you do let him out, let him out without the other cat around, and put that kitty in his room, so they can smell each other. Do the thing where you rub one with a towel, and then rub it on the other one. I used to brush one cat and then use the brush on the other. And let the feral boy warm up to you, don't go out of your way to try to give him too much affection at first, let him warm up to you on his own. It will probably start with him just coming to sit next to you, and he'll start to get closer and closer. It will happen, but I say let it be him that makes the first moves at contact, otherwise you could get hurt, and if you take it slow, you will gain his trust. I have a feral girl I've been feeding for a year, and it has been a very long process that started with her hissing at me when she saw me, to now me being able to pet her all over, although she wants no part of me picking her up. But it has been a very long time to gain that trust of her. She is so bonded to me, she comes running to see me when she hears my car. She purrs, she brings me small dead animals....LOL, which I could actually do without that, but I know it's because she loves me! It has been the most rewarding thing, taking care of a feral and gaining their trust. My girl is a TNR, but she can't live inside, she is just not even interested, but she rarely strays further than a few houses on my street, and I live in FL, so she doesn't have to worry about the cold so much, so it works. Bless you, for taking in this boy, you changed his life.
[notify]

Noon

Purred: Wed Apr 24, '13 5:28pm PST 
I would set up an extra large plastic airline dog crate for the kitty to stay in after her surgery. Put her bed in the back and her litter pan in the front of the crate Put her food and water dishes at the side of the crate or between the bed and the litter. That way you can feed & water the cat and change the litter etc, without disturbing the cat. Most cats will stay in a corner in the back of the crate and not try to escape but shut the doors to the room the crate is in when you have to open the crate if you're worried the cat might escape the crate. Cover the crate except for the door, with a blanket so its nice and dark for her.

A timid cat feels safe in the back of a covered crate and will relax. The solid sides and back reassure her that nothing can sneak up on her. The cat can recover in the crate and you can also use the crate to socialize her to become a house cat. As she gains confidence, the cat will start coming more and more to the front of the crate, seek attention, show more interest in what's going on in the house around the crate. At this point you can fold back the blanket halfway so the cat can see out the front half of the sides of the crate.

I've socialized many cats using this crate method. Remember, socializing any fearful cat takes time and patience, it can sometimes take months to socialize a fearful/timid cat or even a year or longer to reasonably socialize a true feral adult cat. However, the results are well worth it. Good luck & bless you for doing the right thing having that kitty spayed!
[notify]

Jack

I'm a cat- learnin cat- stuff!

Purred: Thu Jul 11, '13 2:01pm PST 
Well-it's been a couple of months and little feral kitty, now named Jack, is doing very well! I can even pet him now for a short time at a time and he is the first to greet me when I get home now! he actually runs right past Kitty to me and places the top of his head in my hand. They get along as well for the most part, some hissing sometimes, but Kitty grooms him and he tries to groom her if she will let him! Thank you everyone for your advice. laugh out loud
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Jul 12, '13 4:44am PST 
We've been following your progress on FB and I think it's safe to say this is a true success story! Just goes to show that every cat is different and Jack must have done things right to charm KP. So glad everything worked out.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2