GO!

How do I help stray cats?

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Purred: Sat Oct 13, '12 7:40pm PST 
I can't take it in because I already have two cats, but if I see a stray cat it breaks my heart. Even if I could take it in how do I do it? It seems confusing to me. I want to help. Is there a rescue group that will come to capture the cat no matter what time day or night? What can I do to help the stray cats?
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Mon Oct 15, '12 9:36pm PST 
It's Stella. I was a stray cat, taken in by my person. But if you can't do that, check around in your area for an organizatiion that will do rescue of animals. Usually they will put out a humane trap baited with food to catch the kitty and then make sure that he is not a lost pet. However, do not call animal control or any shelter that kills animals. You must find a shelter/rescue group that is non-kill. Otherwise they will trap the kitty and kill it within days.

PAWS is one of the big nationwide pet rescue groups--look in your area phone kisting to see if they have a group near you. Best Friends is in Utah but they have affiliated groups around the country--you can try contacting them to see who they would recommend in your area. In a pinch, check with Petsmart or Petco to see what group supplies them with the animals they sell in their stores. They usually will not take an animal directly from you, since they want the cat to be healthy, clean, have shots etc.

Good luck! You are a good person to care for us stray kitties! wave
[notify]

Purred: Tue Oct 16, '12 5:49pm PST 
I have no desire to call Animal Care and Control. Yup they are a kill shelter. I live in New York City, and I just have to do something to help.

Will they help day or night? I am asking this question because what happens if I see the cat at night?

Thank You Stella!!
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Fri Oct 19, '12 10:48am PST 
It's Stella. Sorry, didn't mean to leave you hanging like that--my person doesn't always get to the computer. There should be a lot of no-kill shelters in NYC. There used to be a TV show about the Humane Society of NY, on the upper East Side. They were a no-kill shelter and took difficult cases. Just make sure the kittens don't go somewhere where they will thin the numbers, or to a private person who might be working for a dog fighting ring. So many bad things to worry about. Good luck with the kittens!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Oct 21, '12 1:28pm PST 
We're in NYC too and it's really, really difficult. The no-kill rescues are FULL up and there aren't many that can/will take in strays. You might be able to get one to agree to take the cat if you take care of the vetting, but between money and space most of them are at their limits. If the stray belongs to a feral colony the best thing you can do is volunteer to help with TNR and the feeding and sheltering of that colony. Many of the neighborhood colonies are tended by residents that aren't necessarily affiliated with any rescues. And I doubt any of the rescues will come out in the middle of the night unless it's a life and death emergency. It's very sad - there are so many cats without homes and not enough resources.
[notify]

~Emberfoot- {J_lo}~

~Princess- *eMbEr*

Purred: Tue Nov 6, '12 12:40pm PST 
Emberfoot here, I don't know is if this post will be of much help, But I like to believe if my ma was in such a position, shed take the cat in anyway, we dont see many strays in our neighborhood however. And since you said you cant keep them, how about you post them up for adoption on the internet, craigslist perhaps, or this very website? I hope i could help in any way kitty
[notify]

Purred: Sun Nov 25, '12 7:04pm PST 
How does the ASPCA get their cats? I know some do come from ACC. I still have no desire to call ACC by any means.

How do I check out the credibility of the rescues?

Thanks!
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Thu Dec 6, '12 3:17am PST 
honestly, there is a small chance anyone will help. there are simply too many stray cats. what you can do is contact a rescue or shelter in your area and ask if there is a TNR (trap. neuter. return) program in the area. That is hands down the best thing you can do for strays is to get them fixed, return them to the outside and feed them. It would be nice if rescues could save every stray cat, but trust me, they are over flown with calls for help from people. Its sad but TNR really is the best thing. It helps the cat live a better life AND helps future generations of cats live better lives by reducing population. TNR is a way to help stop the killing od pets in shelters and is something everyone can help with. untill we can reduce the amount of homeless pets, sadly help wont be available in most cases.

i should point out that many 'no kill' rescues will be full or have a waiting list. And allways ask what a shelters policy is regarding sick or "un-adoptable" cat is.some shelters who claim to be no kill oonly mean they dont put to sleep cats for space reasons. this dosnt mean they wont put one to sleep for being aggressive or sick. My rescue when it was open never put cats to sleep unless they were suffering and could not be treated. BUT we also rarly had any space to accept cats.

I cannot express to people how important TNR is. If you cn find a rescue to take the cat, that is great news. if not, please try to get the cat into a TNR program. because there will allways be strays needing help and not allways someone able to take them in.

Edited by author Thu Dec 6, '12 3:24am PST

[notify]