GO!

Feeding a homeless cat an act of compassion?

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Purred: Tue Jun 5, '12 6:52pm PST 
Is feeding a homeless cat an act of compassion?

In a way, yes. We are compassionate people who are looking to help the homeless cats and give them love (through feeding them). But are we just feeding them and let them be on their merry way?

Feeding a homeless cat maybe an act of compassion, but it does not do much justice to help cats to deserve much better than just a feed. An act of compassion needs to go beyond our own comfort of just feeding a homeless cat.

What can we do to help the homeless cats? How can we contribute more?

Love to hear your thoughts!
[notify]

Demon

now a total- sweetheart

Purred: Sun Jun 10, '12 3:28pm PST 
When our pet parents bought our home three years ago, they inherited a feral cat colony with it. Our daddy loves animals so much that he wanted to feed all the kitties. Mama, however, said the kitties had to be 'fixed' if they were going to be fed. So far, our pet parents have rescued 8 kittens (rehomed 3 and kept 5 of us over the past couple of years) and TNR'd 10 adult outside kitties. They even built a cat shelter in our backyard so the outside kitties have somewhere warm to sleep with it's really cold.

We think the BEST thing you can do for homeless cats is to get them fixed so they don't fight and/or keep having litters of kittens. Google can help you find a local rescue organization that should be able to teach you how to TNR and put you in touch with vets who will work with feral kitties (neutering them, helping them when they are sick/injured). Google can also help you find a low-cost clinic that should make nuetering feral kitties more affordable. Kitties will keep coming around if there is a constant supply of food. If you aren't prepared to take responsibility for the homeless kitties, the kindest thing for you to do may be to NOT feed them and let them find someone who will take care of them.
[notify]

Purred: Tue Jun 12, '12 6:31pm PST 
Great answer! I agree.

However, are people aware of the steps like what you have suggested? Are they knowledgeable and caring to put these steps to action? Should educating the public about these steps important for all cat owners?

Love to hear from you on that.

Cheers,
HHCSA
[notify]

Belle

Mama's Lil Ding- Dong

Purred: Thu Jun 14, '12 6:53pm PST 
When my parents were living in their mobil home before I was born our dog Max (I say OUR dog because my parents still had him when I was born) found a small kitten trapt under the mobil home. My parents took her in for the night (since it was a Sunday and the Humane Society was closed) and gave her food and water and a roof over her head for the night. Was it the smartest thing to do given the fact that they didn't know the kittens history? Probably not but this was back in the mid 80's when they didn't know all the things we know now. Besides my mom had a HUGE soft spot for cats and dogs and my dad couldn't turn away an innacent homeless kitten!smile

Now if I had my own house I'd make some sort of shelter to keep them safe and dry and warm and feed and water them and I'd alert the Humane Society that I had them and ask them to come pick them up. Since I live in an apartment tho I'd just call the Humane Society and tell them the general area that I saw the cat in.
[notify]