GO!

What is Your Favorite Rescue Organization in New York City?

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Hambone

SF Hammer

Purred: Wed Aug 31, '11 4:32pm PST 
Hello everypaw,

I am an HQ kitty, my guardian is Catster's Community Manager.

We are pawticipating in a conference in NYC in October and would like to work with a local rescue organization on an adoption event. We would really like to work with an organization that members of our Community are really passionate about!

Do you have a favorite rescue organization in New York City? Do you volunteer for a rescue in NYC?

cat on moon

Edited by author Thu Sep 1, '11 12:24pm PST

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Sep 2, '11 5:36am PST 
Please check out the Mayor's Alliance here in NYC. They are a coalition of rescues that also do a huge amount of work themselves to rescue kitties. I foster a lot of special needs cats for them and they're really wonderful.
[notify]

Bella My- Beautiful- Angel

Mommys Kitty- Girl! I know- I\'m loved!

Purred: Fri Sep 2, '11 7:16am PST 
Well,
We're the volunteer managers of Bobbi and the Strays Cat House in Long Island City.
Bobbi took over the Cat House 3 1/2 years ago from Calla, who ran I Love Animals. Sadly, Calla became ill, and could not manage the rescue any longer, which is a unique place.

It's old, it's ramshakle, it smells of mold and mildew. It needs alot of repair and constant cleaning.

We don't cage any cats, except for right now one little kitten becaues he's so little.

We always need volunteers who know and understand cats. Many of ours are formerly feral, some have health issues, some are simply very shy and others are fine, some have behavioral issues.

We also have a small space dedicated to FELV+ cats. It's in the attic and tiny, but houses right now 6 FELV cats.

If you would like to volunteer, or know of anyone who would, pleae have them contact us at my email darkfyre4@aol.com. We always need good 'cat people' who aren't afraid of cats or doing alot of cleaning!
[notify]

Hambone

SF Hammer

Purred: Fri Sep 2, '11 12:10pm PST 
Thanks BK and Bella!cloud 9