GO!

PLEASE ADVISE!

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Daniel

Rebel with claws

Purred: Mon Aug 15, '11 2:54pm PST 
We need advice with trapping the kittens Susie had. (See my diary fur the story.)
There are 3 of them....2 calicos and a gray one, so we figure 2 females and a male. Gamma has a trap ready but she said she's worried that if she only catches one of the kittens he/she will be traumatized, or the ofur
2 will be. I'm not so sure, but I want to give her advice. Please let me know ASAP since Gamma will be setting the trap tonight. Tank you.

Edited by author Mon Aug 15, '11 2:55pm PST

[notify]

Althea, PAWS

The Special,- Precious, Petite- PrinCESS

Purred: Mon Aug 15, '11 3:30pm PST 
Is the mom cat around? Probably all three will *not* be in the trap together, so your only choice is to trap them one at a time. Yes, it will be stressful for them, but not as stressful as being left on their own. It's a matter of balancing the negatives against the postives. Trap one (you might get two) at a time, then go after the other(s). Blessings on you gamma for helping these orphans!
[notify]

Daniel

Rebel with claws

Purred: Mon Aug 15, '11 11:45pm PST 
Yes Susie's around, she comes in and out of Gamma's house all the time. We'd been hoping the kittens would come in with her but we don't know how old they are....probably 2 or 3 months....and that's a guestimate since we don't know exactly when they were born. Mama said she heard them crying under the house when she was there around July 4th so that means they're at least 6 weeks old.

Efuryone is also saying to trap them then take them to the vet to be fixed immediately, and that if you let them out of the trap once they're in the house you'll never be able to catch them. Is that true? (We're not saying it isn't, we just want to hear efuryone's opinions.) Please purray fur Gamma to do the right thing, we have been nagging her (literally) to do this fur weeks now!
[notify]

Althea, PAWS

The Special,- Precious, Petite- PrinCESS

Purred: Tue Aug 16, '11 7:07am PST 
They may be too young to follow Susie very far, so they haven't followed her into the house. Yes, absolutely: if you trap one, do NOT take him/her out of the trap but go immediately to the hospital for testing, vaccinating, neutering. Once home, confine him/her to one room and work on gaining trust. Good luck!
[notify]

Daniel

Rebel with claws

Purred: Tue Aug 16, '11 4:43pm PST 
Please check my diary fur an update. I didn't want to write it all again. MOL

Susie will be getting spayed soon, mama guestimates the kittens are 8 weeks old now since Susie is bringing them up to the porch 1 at a time to eat solid food with her supervision. Gamma's tempting them to come in with catnip and they're thinking about it but not sure, anything else she can try?

Mama's calling a vet tomorrow to make an appt. fur Susie! They only do their surgeries Mon., Tues. & Wed. so it'd have to be one of those days.

Edited by author Tue Aug 16, '11 4:46pm PST

[notify]

Benny Grunch

Will Meow for- Treats!!!

Purred: Wed Aug 17, '11 6:34am PST 
Althea is right, when you catch a kitten in the trap take it to the vet inside the trap. Have an old sheet, towel or blanket handy to cover the trap when you put it inside the car. Helps to keep the kitten calm. It takes some coordination....but you can do it. Many a time when I went to my vet there were 6-8 traps in the waiting room with ferals waiting for their surgery - it is the best way to do this.

Been there, done that, trapped the kittens.

Bless you and your family for wanting to help Mama Cat and her kittens.
[notify]

Daniel

Rebel with claws

Purred: Thu Aug 18, '11 6:16am PST 
Gamma says the kittens come up to the porch to eat and play. Mama was wondering if Gamma sat outside on the porch (she has a bench on there) and didn't move or say anything when the kitts were on the porch, maybe that would help to gain their trust? Let us know. And tanks fur your help!
[notify]

Kiki

You... Treats...- Now...

Purred: Fri Aug 19, '11 5:18am PST 
Sitting on the porch would definitely help them get used to you, which would be one step closer to gaining their trust. Your mom may also try putting a few treats around you as well before you sit down. Don't make any motion to move toward them if they come get them. Eventually move them a little closer, and a little closer.
[notify]

Daniel

Rebel with claws

Purred: Fri Aug 19, '11 7:55am PST 
that's a grrrrreat idea! Gamma fed them and then tried sitting on the porch yesterday and Daisy (one of the 2 calicos) came up the steps but Gamma had to answer the phone so that scared her so she went back under the porch. Ginger came and ate along with her mama Susie. Rascal (gray one - male?) didn't come out to eat until Gamma left. So we think Ginger is more outgoing than the others. We keep hoping Susie could let them know Gamma is safe, not sure what is going on. Susie will probably be kept inside once her babies are weaned, and I think (hope!) Gamma will keep her since she is purrty girl.
[notify]

Daniel

Rebel with claws

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 6:38pm PST 
Gamma also needs help with getting the kittens to like and eat DRY FOOD. We told her to put out kitten chow but she won't listen and uses th regular stuff. (hmmmmm) She puts out the dry food and they won't touch it. Also she said the kittens WUV wet food. We know they need dry food fur their teeth! How can she get them to like dry food?
[notify]