GO!

How to trap strays/ferals?

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Beila- Alexandra- Kyzar

How to eat a- person: one bite- at a time.

Purred: Sun Jul 17, '11 8:59am PST 
We've had a cat wandering around the neighborhood for awhile now. I didn't know if she was a stray/feral or pet, but recently she showed up with four kittens. I'm guessing she's not a pet. I'd like to get her into a no-kill shelter so she can at least be spayed and hopefully her and her kittens can be socialized and adopted, but I have no idea how. I don't know how to get them into a carrier to take them anywhere and I don't know who to call for help. I live in the Kansas City Metropolitan area. I may have scared them off (they caught me looking), but I put some food out and one pure white kitten came back and is chowing down.
[notify]

Beila- Alexandra- Kyzar

Purred: Sun Jul 17, '11 9:25am PST 
Now a little tabby has come back to eat what little food the white kitten left. Oh, and my hands and ankles are in shreds. Lexi does not like having interlopers. Not one bit.
[notify]

Patch

Patch - wallpaper- stripper

Purred: Sun Jul 17, '11 10:46am PST 
Get in touch with a no kill shelter and borrow a trap if you can, bait it with pilchards or tuna and you will most likely get the mother at first, then you will have to catch the kittens, that may be more difficult. Good luck keep us posted please xx
[notify]

Beila- Alexandra- Kyzar

Purred: Sun Jul 17, '11 12:53pm PST 
I found a place where I can borrow live, humane traps, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to make it over there. Momma is back under my porch! I wish the kittens hadn't eaten up all the food. I'd like Momma to think of my porch as a food source.

What if I can get Momma, but not all the kittens? I believe the kittens are old enough to be completely weaned, but young enough they still need her. I'll never be able to grab the kittens. I thought they'd all gone when I put the food out, but white and tabby were just hiding and took off. They'll be in the next state before I can say, "I won't hurt you!"

Edited by author Sun Jul 17, '11 12:57pm PST

[notify]

Patch

Patch - wallpaper- stripper

Purred: Mon Jul 18, '11 2:32am PST 
I had this while working on a building site years ago. I managed to get the mother and she was neutered and re-released there because her kittens were under the floor of the building. The site workers used to come to the canteen I ran and get food for them from me.
[notify]

Beila- Alexandra- Kyzar

Purred: Sat Aug 13, '11 1:53pm PST 
UPDATE: Unfortunately, before we could get the traps, we stopped seeing one of the kittens. We were able to trap Mama and three kittens. We kept putting food out for the fourth, but never saw any sign of it. We've been working with the kittens and have an appointment next week for them to go to a local no-kill shelter. They only take cats they are able to handle. The kittens can be handled now, but Mama turned out to be feral. She's actually pretty calm, but very clear she doesn't want human interaction. We're going to have her spayed, vaccinated and everything, then release her where we trapped her.

Wish Eva (Mama), Krit (ginger tabby), Seth (ginger tabby) and Sly (pure white) luck!
[notify]

Lucifer

Purred: Sun Aug 14, '11 7:07pm PST 
I'm so glad that you were able to catch the momma and three babies... something must have happened to the fourth to keep it away from the family group. I know my family of ferals lost several kittens to a dog attack before moving into my fenced yard.
[notify]