GO!

URGENT help needed for kitten!

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Lady

the queen

Purred: Fri Dec 3, '10 7:34pm PST 
was at my vet yesterday, i mention your ringworm problem you have, here is a few over the counter meds he said that would work for ringworm. if you are not sure, ask your vet, or, a vet, or, maybe somebody on casters has a tried these before. good luck.

Miconazole

Ketaconazole

monastact 7 ( spelling?)
[notify]

Sonny

Luvin life out- of the shelter

Purred: Fri Dec 3, '10 8:16pm PST 
Monistate 7 does work, when my meowmie had it on her arm the nurse across the street told her to put it on the area and it would clear although it takes time. Since the Moneitate 7 is expensive she bought the store brand of it and it worked just fine. If its an area that is easy to cover I would try it but make sure you cover it, I am not sure how it would react if he licks it off. Who would have ever though a cream for a yeast infection could cure ringworm?silenced

BTW I see you were found in Williamsville, is that in Western New York? I live about 45 minutes from there.

Edited by author Fri Dec 3, '10 8:19pm PST

[notify]

Sonny

Purred: Fri Dec 3, '10 8:22pm PST 
Here is some info I found that might be helpful:

In healthy shorthaired kittens and cats with small isolated lesions, the lesion is often treated with a topical cream containing an antifungal such as miconazole or thiabendazole. In addition, it is important to treat any underlying conditions, provide good nutrition, and prevent the spread to other animals and humans.

In more severe cases, a combination of oral and topical treatments is generally used. Often the lesions are clipped so the topical treatment can reach the skin. Many veterinary dermatologists feel that all longhaired cats must be shaved completely to achieve any success with ringworm treatment. Care should be taken not to irritate the skin when clipping, as this may cause the infection to spread. Also, realize that the clipped hair, clippers, and any grooming instruments that come into contact with an infected animal will harbor the spores and must be heat or chemically sterilized before being used on any other animal. The recommended topical treatment is lime sulfur dips. These dips have a bad odor and can temporarily turn the coat a yellowish color, but they are extremely effective and should be used if recommended by your veterinarian. Alternatives to lime sulfur dips include miconazole shampoos and rinses, and enilconazole (available in some countries).

Oral antifungal agents are generally recommended for any cat with severe generalized lesions, for longhaired cats, and in cases where the nails are infected. Oral antifungal agents may also be recommended when there is no response to topical therapy after 2-4 weeks of treatment. Itraconazole is the preferred drug of choice, and terbafine may also be used. Griseofulvin is another alternative, but has a higher risk of adverse effects.

Treatment is generally continued until there have been two negative cultures a week apart.

Some veterinarians have recommended using ProgramĀ® (the once-a-month flea pill) at a higher dose to treat ringworm in cats, but it has been shown to be ineffective against ringworm.
[notify]

Penny

Purred: Sat Dec 4, '10 8:39pm PST 
the cat is located in Buffalo,NY and unfortunately, no where near the animal protective league
[notify]

Sonny

Purred: Sat Dec 4, '10 9:43pm PST 
Let me check with my friends daughter, she works for a vet in Corfu NY and see if she knows of any agencies in this area that may help with either the bills or someone that can take the kitten in.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2