GO!

Feral cat with great potential! PLEASE HELP!!

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Emma

The Energizer- Kitty

Purred: Mon Nov 29, '10 7:57pm PST 
Ok hey cat people I need your help!! My husband went to the gas station the other night and saw a momma cat and a litter of kittens. We set humane traps and caught 2 of the kittens. One is about 2-3 mths old and is very terrified but tame. The other one is about 5 mths old and is feral but not completley feral. He's scared of us but seems to have GREAT potential. He lets us change the litter box food water etc and even pet him just will not let us pick him up.

I think he's young enough to be rehabilated and become a loving pet. But I cant find any feral cat programs. We were going to have them both fixed and then release them. BUT one is human friendly and the other has great potential. I live in Acampo, California. If anyone knows of any programs within like an hour I'd take him there.

But with my own dogs and cats I really can NOT keep a feral cat. We are going to keep the friendly kitten until we find it a home. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Nov 30, '10 4:54am PST 
I don't think a 5 month old kitten that lets you approach and even pet him can really be considered feral. He may need some socialization, but it seems a shame to release him outside. I wish I could be of more help but I'm on the east coast. Good luck!
[notify]

BeBe

I'm just a- lover!

Purred: Sat Dec 4, '10 1:49pm PST 
have you tried Stray Cat Alliance? They're a feral group in CA.

www.StrayCatAlliance.org

Even if they're not close to you, I'd contact them. They have a lot of wonderful volunteers and someone maybe willing to meet you half way or something. Keep us posted!
[notify]

Tabitha

Bridge to- Terabithia,- fairy princess

Purred: Thu Dec 9, '10 3:11pm PST 
Hi Cat Lover,

He needs to be tamed in a dog crate. Its what all the feral cat tamers do, and the most effective and fastest way to tame a kitten.

He doesn't sound feral, only semi-feral at best. Releasing a kitten already on its way to taming can be very dangerous for the kitten-- they have a hard enough time surviving as ferals, but if they're already trusting of humans and not as wary, they will have an even harder time.

Taming -- www.icraeastbay.org/ICRAKittenSocializing.pdf

Also, join a free Yahoo Group called "feralcats." They have TONS and tons of info on how to tame. You can ask questions about feral kittens, trapping, anything feral related. They have been an amazing resource over the years.

> http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/groups/feral_cats
> > yahoo makes you sign in
> > click on Files in the box at left of screen
> >
> > Select
> > Files > 04) TAMING - lessening trauma - conditioning
> >
> > Select
> > 01) Basic Cage Setup
> >
> > We buy our Midwest 2x2x3' cages from Revival Animal Health,
> > www.revivalanimal.com
> > (get the folding kind)

Last of all, if you are willing to foster him and tame him, you can contact www.kittenrescue.org and www.http://catsatthestudios.com/ They will help you find low cost spay/neuter, vaccines, etc. and you can show them at local adoption events through their "Community Foster" programs!

Hope this helps,

Tabitha
[notify]