GO!

Did not know where else to post

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Silver

Loners can be- loved too.

Purred: Fri Nov 26, '10 2:08pm PST 
I need some help with a pair of cats dumped in my trailer court.

1. I can not take them in, I have to pay $25 each pet each month, I already have one cat.

2. Our animal control picks up animals and turns them over to a rescue that runs the local shelter. Ferals are given FREE to local farmers in a Feral Placement Program. They go spayed/neutered with shots and a chip.

I have called twice to try to get Animal Control to take them. They hide very well and now I am on the watchlist as a prank caller. If I call again I have to have them in cages or I will get a ticket. However I can not get them caught. They avoid traps like crazy. I want to care for them on site but do not know what to do. The female has been here since around April and has not had kittens dispite exposure to many males that live in homes close by, also has not shown the usual signs of heats, so I think she may be spayed. I would love to get the male neutered but can't catch him. The local rescue will not take them unless animal control brings them in so I am in a Catch 22. I want to help them not be made to feel bad like one answer to my Answers post. Just because I can't keep them doesn't mean I don't care. Why ask for help if I don't care right?

Anyway, I can't really be too open about caring for them as the landlords frown on loose animals. I don't want them to think they are mine or to poison them (do not know if they would do that but you never know). If they think they are mine they will report me to animal control for having loose cats.

I don't know what to do frown
[notify]

Silver

Purred: Fri Nov 26, '10 3:52pm PST 
It's supposed to be pretty cold so I put a blanket down under the porch. I hope it helps them stay warm. In the morning I will see if there is a hidden spot I can tuck some food and water for them.
[notify]

Kris

Purred: Fri Nov 26, '10 4:03pm PST 
Are you sure they are not ferals? Ferals are found everywhere. If they are not friendly, it is likely they are not domestic pets. However, that does not mean they can't become tame pets. No feral domesticated animal can live on their own for very long. As the weather is getting colder, it poses a threat to the cats' survival. Feral cats have been around for hundreds of years. I believe it was in the 1800s when the first domesticated cats actually became feral. Feral cats will eat local wildlife. They are very good predators! However, they can still be a nuisance to others. Ferals have been known to drive some bird species to extinction. Ferals really are an ecological disaster. They are more damaging than most any other introduced species.
[notify]

Silver

Purred: Sat Nov 27, '10 6:44am PST 
No, sadly I saw the female get left behind by the people who had owned her. They used to live in the trailer court here. The male a neighbor saw get tossed out of a moving car that drove too fast through the court. He called on them but since he did not get a license plate there was little anyone could do. The male is slowly trusting us. He gets 2 feet away and as long as we do not try to touch him he hangs out. Keeps coming to the door and trying to open it! The female will let us pet her but takes off if we try to grab her and she is fast! I am hoping by spring we will have their trust enough to catch them but have little idea how to care for them over the winter. I found out at least two other people in the court are feeding them too so they get enough to eat. We are all worried for these little ones and one does not really even like cats.
[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Sat Nov 27, '10 10:08am PST 
Well we have a restaurant here that has a feral community, they catch them to have them spayed or neutered, and have people of the community that donate food for them. They have also built makeshift shelters for them out of wooden boxes that have hay or old blankets in them. Is there an area that is not on the property that a makeshift shelter could be made? At least you would be helping them by giving them protection from the cold until they are caught.

I really hate people that drop off cats thinking that they will be taken in. We live in farm country and everyone thinks that just because there are barns these guys will survive. I was feeding a few of them but then the number went up to about 20 strays once they discovered the free eats. We had to live trap them and take them to either the shelter or find homes for the ones that were friendly.
[notify]

Cadence

No More Homeless- Kitties ~- Spay/Neuter

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 2:09am PST 
See if the shelter will loan you a trap to try to catch the cats yourself.
[notify]

Cary

Stop the Death - Spay/Neuter

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 2:20am PST 
I agree with the above poster. Most shelters will give you or rent you a trap and then take in the cat that you trap.
[notify]

Silver

Purred: Mon Nov 29, '10 8:48am PST 
I guess you missed it we HAVE been trying to catch them. The female for months the male for the last few days. Its not working and for the last few days we have all withheld food and I think the cats have worms because the few days withheld food is showing. I really think we are going to have to get them to trust us enough to pick them up and slip them into carriers to then get them picked up. Having them in carriers is the only way AC will come to get them to go to the shelter/rescue. Good news, the male ran up on our little porch and darted between dh and mine's legs then sat less than 2 feet away behind the glass storm door which was propped open at the time by the trash can. He sat out there giving us slow blinks and chestchire cat grins. I think he either thinks we are funny with the traps or he likes us but is scared. He tried to come inside last night but spooked and took off afer taking two steps. I was taking out the trash and left the door propped. I was amazed. . . .I might risk taking him in if he will come in on his own. Maybe I could get him placed before he is noticed. . . I don't know.
[notify]

Silver

Purred: Wed Dec 1, '10 2:43pm PST 
It seems the little female has been taken in as an inside outside kitty by another family, we saw her come out of their home cheer

Yesterday every time mom and dad went outside to do what they call their "stupid stuff" (they are trying to quite smoking and are down to 3-4 cigarettes a day) the little boy kitty got closer each time. The last time he was actually rubbing against their legs. dancing

After they put their kids to bed mom and dad went out for one more before bed and to take out the trash, they had the door open as it made it easier while they worked. They saw the little guy once during the movement and not after so while they smoked they were sad they had scared him away. shock Imagine their surprise that I was upset because he had come in and took my favorite hide hole! He is in our house and as long as he is left alone seems ok. happy dance

After it got quiet he came out, he and I talked a little in kitty language. I like him! way to go He is not so sure. Poor guy is the same way I was when I came home from mom's relatives. Mom is worried what would happen if the landlords found out, but she doesn't care. This is, to her, a cry for help from this little guy.

He is a blue tabby, and dad has dubbed him Blue Boy, Blue for short.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Wed Dec 1, '10 4:40pm PST 
This is Delyte. Congrats on catching the male! We are in the same situation as you, trailer court, and next to a wildlife reserve, so cats get dumped here all the time. The one feral or former pet female who lived outside here had ten kittens in 19 mos. And we have three of them! We tried to get homes for the last two but were unsuccessful.

If you still want to find a good home for this kitty, move your post to the Rescues, etc. forum, make a page here on Catster for the little boy with a picture, and flag him as adoptable. You could also post around the trailer court and see if anyone wants him, or in town. Is there a no kill shelter anywhere you could drive to?

This is a hard time of year to find homes. We know because we were trying to find homes for our two three years ago this month. The shelters don't like people adopting pets as Christmas presents, and they refused to allow any adoptions in Dec. We called every no kill shelter in the state and none would take them.

We did have some nibbles on Catster, so try here if you can. Try not to get too attached to thwe little guy, or you are stuck!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2