GO!

ethical question fur a rescue

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kitty Pryde

Purred: Tue Nov 16, '10 1:37pm PST 
Our mommy has been visiting nightly with a "stray" kitty fur over a couple months now. The kitty was living in the parking lot next to the alley by our 'partment. he is tha cutest thing and was scared at furrrst, but now comes out whenevfur mommy calls out and he is always hungry. There's food put out for him by a shop owner, though mommy has never seen anyone there. well, this weekend the kitty came to our door and just layed in front of our apartment-mommy got worried of course because the kitty never came that close to our home... a rescue lady has offered to help us find this kitty a home-turns out though as the rescue lady was checking the kitty out (and was taking him to the vet today) a creepy and not so nice man who knows the shop owner said that the kitty has an owner and is an outdoor only cat. The kitty clearly needs a vet and the rescue lady agreed that it is very neglected, whether food is left out or not.
I guess the question would be(of course this kitty deserved a home-it's getting cold outside and he is reaching out to people)is it stealing if we get him checked out and into a foster/indoor situation?
We think since he's neglected (has injuries/skinny) and outside with no collar or anything and no owner around ever then it's "no one's cat" but if they come looking fur mommy, is she technically catnapping?
thank you
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Nov 16, '10 4:43pm PST 
I think this is two different questions. Because I think what your mom is doing is certainly ethical. But I think your real question is, is this legal? I really hope it is, but I can't answer about the legalities. Technically wouldn't the rescue lady be responsible?
[notify]

Ava 4 ever- Mommy's- Angel

Mommy's Angel

Purred: Tue Nov 16, '10 4:50pm PST 
Find out if it's legal for cats to roam free....if not, then that's a good excuse to take it in......then the real owner may step forward and you can get the real story on why this cat is neglected. Some people sadly think it's ok for cats to be left outside.....I remember all of the "barn cats" my grandparents had...they were fed well, but that was it....oh, and they could go in the barn for shelter. This was over 30 years ago though, so things were different then, plus I was a little girl and didn't know any thing was wrong. Some people don't know simply because maybe no one has ever told them....even though it's common sense...still, some people just don't get it....let us know, ok?
[notify]

Kitty Pryde

Purred: Tue Nov 16, '10 5:24pm PST 
Thanks fur responding. As far as the law goes,you have to check for a microchip pr bring it to a city shelter where the holding period is 5 days or so, then you can have a chance to adopt if no owner comes forward, but the shelter is so full, like they are all over and om afraid he won't have a chance. There are coyotes in my area too. Honestly I have never seen the owners of this kitty and I go out everynight. They did keep the shelter I built outside, but iother than that, he just has a garbage corner or the cars to hide under, or the bushes in my courtyard that he recently has moved to.
If anything at least the rescue woman I met will be able to get him checked at the vet, I'm waiting for an update!
Purrrrrs
[notify]

Apollo (In- Memory)

Love Ya

Purred: Tue Nov 16, '10 8:10pm PST 
Is the rescue lady associated with an animal shelter? If she is, she should know the legality of taking in a cat and if there are laws in your area about leaving a cat outside and neglected. If after caring for it and taking it to the vet, an owner does show up, claiming the cat, produce the bills you have paid caring for the cat and ask for a reimbursement before turning the cat over. Nine times out of ten, the "owners" won't pay and tell you to keep it.

If the shelter has the cat, and the "owner" shows up at your door, just state the truth. You fed it because you thought it was a stray and the rescue came and took it away.

If you want to foster the cat or adopt it, do it through the shelter and rescue lady so if someone eventually shows up at your door claiming the kitty, you can direct them to the shelter.

Edited by author Tue Nov 16, '10 8:22pm PST

Kitty Pryde

Purred: Wed Nov 17, '10 2:26pm PST 
thanks furrrs and moms. Well, our rescuer friend went to get the kitty from the parking lot yesterday to take him to the vet and low and behold, the owner popped up (aftur Mom never seeing him evfur in living there since July!) and when she asked if he had seen the little stray cat out there, he responded that the tan cat was his and he has owned it 5-6 years and he put it outside because it chewed his cable inside!!! She asked if he would be interested in putting the kitty in a good indoor home and he said "NO." And then drove off.
Of course Kit Kat (our name for kitty) came out after the guy left and wanted to eat and wanted some petting so she did that. The rescue she works with said legally they cannot take the cat if it "has an owner" and the woman who runs the rescue (not the one who is helping me)will send out messages to other rescues not to take this cat unless it truly is a stray or surrender. Right now what my rescuer friend plans to do is to contact animal services and report the issue and we are also going to take pics of the area to document the conditions because there are broken/dirty/liquid filled bottles and dirty plates and liquids strewn all over the lot-proving it is unsafe and unsanitary and she is planning to contact the health department about it too.
uuugh! The good thing is the kitty totally trusts me and will come to me and I can feed him and keep an eye on him like I do while we are getting all this sorted!
purrrs and bonks
[notify]

Apollo (In- Memory)

Love Ya

Purred: Wed Nov 17, '10 9:40pm PST 
Glad to hear the rescue lady is going to follow through on this and continue to help the kitty. Purrs to you for getting the ball rolling and continuing to help the little guy.
applauseapplausehug

Neko

Sunshine

Purred: Wed Nov 17, '10 10:41pm PST 
I think it's okay if the cat is clearly neglected (underweight and with injuries or general unhealthy in appearance such as matted hair, etc.) The cat apparently has already decided it's okay by parking itself by your door/apartment. I was an unwanted cat, but instead of tossing me outside or into a nearby river, my original owner dropped me off at a pet shelter where I ended up in a foster home until my "Mom" saw my photo on the shelter's web page and decided to adopt me. I think sometimes people have a hard time admitting that they just don't have the time or the energy or desire to give a cat a good home and so they get offended if someone else wants to "help." I'm glad my first owner was able to realize he wasn't cut out to be a pet owner and so took me to the shelter. Now I have a nice home with people who have time and energy for me. I think the cat you are befriending is telling you it's ready to change its living arrangements.
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Thu Nov 18, '10 6:06am PST 
i dont think you can just take someones cat. If word got out the rescue might get a bad name. you could try offering the man money for his cat? im not really sure what you could do. Call the local animal control and tell them whats up and see what they say. If the cat is in danger of dying id take it to the vet anyways.
[notify]

Kitty Pryde

Purred: Thu Nov 18, '10 11:28am PST 
Thanks furrrrs. Yep-Mom agrees that this kitty decided it's time fur a new home aftur showing up, just layin in front of the door-not mewing or anything, fur about an hour until Indy hissed when Mom was opening the door-it took him not much time to get pets but never did he leave his parking lot until these past couple weeks.
Mom is trying to go about this the correct way so the rescue and the woman who is helping, who relies on the rescue to help her with animals she helps, don't get into trouble. We will keep you posted on what happens but are contacting the animal authorities to see what we can do!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2