GO!

Feral Cat Colony Caretakers in Illinois . . .

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Athena (In- Memory)

Purrs and Love- to Mom and- Toulouse

Purred: Wed Jul 9, '08 8:02pm PST 
The Illinois Public Health and Safety Animal Population Control Program is now available to dog and cat owners who meet the eligibility requirements of the program. To qualify, the pet owner must be eligible for the Food Stamp Program or the Social Security Disability Program. Others that qualify are residents of the State of Illinois who are managing a feral cat colony and who humanely trap feral cats for spaying or neutering. Pet owners can obtain applications from the Department of Public Health, any office that distributed food stamps, or from a participating veterinarian. Applications must be approved by the Department at which time the pet owner will receive a voucher to present to the participating veterinarian. The pet owner must pay a $15 co-pay to the vet and the balance will be paid by the State. The program covers surgery, anesthesia, vaccinations and any other pre- surgical procedures required by the individual veterinarian. For a list of participating veterinarians, contact the Illinois Department of Public Health at 217-782-4977.

Church

I'm a model!

Purred: Wed Jul 9, '08 8:23pm PST 
That is great! Maybe I can finally start a TNR program in my area now!
cheer
[notify]

BeBe

I'm just a- lover!

Purred: Wed Jul 23, '08 8:15pm PST 
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I've been feeding a colony and I have a trap to get them but I couldn't afford to get them vaccinated and fixed. This is so wonderful! Thank you so much for posting this. i can start trapping again and get everything rolling.

snoopyhappy dancecheerdancingparty
[notify]

noodles

Purred: Wed Oct 8, '08 6:33am PST 
hi
i havent called yet to see about nearby vets but what does it take to be considered a caretaker of a colony? ive been feeding the feral/strays for 3 years now but cant afford to tnr some have become tame as the generations go and may be placeable.
the town has decided i have a cat problem and must do something about it. we have 4 in the house now and the only option animal control gives me here is try to place who you can then start trapping for destruction. the county pays for euthansia(sp) and cremation but nothing else
all the shelters are full i just cannot bear the thought that i will have to assist in their destruction
any advice thughts or prayers will be so appreciated
[notify]

Purred: Sat Jul 14, '12 11:43am PST 
I would like to know how does someone become a manager of a feral cat colony? I have feral cats that i have been feeding and would like to get them spayed so they will stop having babies in my neighborhood/garage. I have gotten the applications from the Public Health and safety animal population control, BUT it says i need a letter of designation as manager of feral cat colony before i can apply. Where do i get a letter of designation as manager?? I need one ASAP before the next mommy comes in heat and has more babies. Please help!!
[notify]

Athena (In- Memory)

Purrs and Love- to Mom and- Toulouse

Purred: Sun Jul 15, '12 3:00pm PST 
Hi! wave
I googled "letter of designation as manager of feral cat colony in Illinois" and got the following:

Illinois Pet Population Control Program Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Program

Who is eligible?
• Receiving Food Stamps or Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
• Illinois residents only
• Feral Cat Colony Manager

How many pets can be spay/neutered each year?
• Two pets per family each fiscal year (July 1 to June 30)
• A separate application must be completed for each pet

How do I prove I am eligible?
• Letter from Illinois Department of Human Services (DHS) or Local Office showing amount of food stamps or SNAP benefits received monthly. Must be current information. They can contact their caseworker.
• Letter from federal government showing monthly benefits. Letter must clearly state that benefits are Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
• DO NOT send LINK or Medicaid Cards, bank account statements or insurance cards. • DO NOT send original documents as IDPH WILL NOT return these.

How do I become an approved Feral Cat Colony Manager?
Must be designated by your city or county to operate a humane Trap/Spay and Neuter/Release (TNR) program for feral cats. Provide a copy of the letter designating you as a Feral Cat Colony Manager, signed by the mayor/county board chairman of the city/county where you are located to the Illinois Department of Public Health. The letter must be on city/county letterhead and have an original signature from the mayor or county board chairman. The letter must address the following points:
• Identify you as the manager of a Feral Cat Colony and a humane TNR program.
• Describe how many years you have been running a Trap/Spay or Neuter/Release Program
• Identify the address of the feral cat colony you are responsible for, including a brief geographic description of where the colony is located; and
• Provide an estimate of the total number of feral cats in the colony.

Send your designation letter to:
Illinois Department of Public Health Public Health and Safety Animal Population Control Program,
525 W. Jefferson Street, 3rd Floor,
Springfield, IL 62761-0001.
Once your letter is reviewed and approved, a package of five vouchers will be sent to you along with a list of participating veterinarians. Spay/neuters for up to five feral cats will be approved per feral cat colony manager annually.

Are there any out-of-pocket costs for the pet owner?
• Must pay the veterinarian a $15.00 co-payment for each pet. Some veterinarians waive this fee for extreme need cases
• IDPH covers: all vaccinations needed by the pet (including the rabies vaccine); pain medications and all costs related to the spay/neuter procedure (including pre-/post-surgical exams). Any other costs must be paid by the pet owner.

How long does it take to be approved?
Once the application and proof of eligibility is received, it takes about 4 to 6 weeks to process the voucher (if all of the documentation is correct). A list of participating veterinarians is sent with each approved spay/neuter voucher so that the pet owner can make an appointment. DO NOT make an appointment before you have received an approved voucher.

The answer to your question is under the "How do I become an approved Feral Cat Colony Manager" paragraph.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.
big hug

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Mon Jul 16, '12 4:27pm PST 
this sounds like it may be the answer I am looking for. Except our town really doesn't care about the people let alone the kitties. Thanks for the info!!
[notify]