GO!

First Time Fostering A Cat And Need Help?

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Molly

Mommy of Four

Purred: Tue Jul 1, '08 3:48pm PST 
I have taken in a unwanted, dumped and very pregnant female cat but the thing is, I am a dog person so I need a lot of advice on this whole cat thing, lol.

I contacted a rescue who will help me with the adoption part of the mother cat and kittens when they become old enough. Until then I have decided that I will foster her in my laundry room in my basement as it seems to be the quietest and away from kids and two dogs.

I have provided her with a warm cave like place to sleep, toys, Wellness Core food, natural treats, water and love. Am I missing any thing? and is it ok if she jumps waist high to sleep on a small table I have in the room where she is?.

Ok sorry but I am worried I might be missing something and I don't want her to not be comfortable.

Love Tina

P.S Any good Groups I can join on here that may help me as well?
[notify]

Athena (In- Memory)

Purrs and Love

Purred: Tue Jul 1, '08 8:18pm PST 
hug Hugs to you for taking in a kitty who was thrown out because she became pregnant. It's great that your local shelter will take Mollie and the kittens when they are bigger.

Cats usually like to be up higher than the floor, so the table is fine for Mollie to sleep on. You might want to give her more beds to choose from to have her babies. Something as simple as a cardboard box or a clothes basket with towels, blankets or rugs inside, placed inside a cabinet. Make sure there aren't any spaces she can crawl in to hide where you can't reach. One Catster's cat had her kittens in the boards between the basement ceiling and the upstairs floor and she had to wait for the kittens to be old enough to walk out on their own because she couldn't reach them.

Be very, VERY careful that the doors to your washing machine and dryer are always closed because many cats like to sleep inside. There have been many tragedies when people don't check inside before putting their clothes in or grabbing a pile of clothes without realizing a kitten is hiding in the pile.

If you're interested in advice of a medical nature, I have sent you an invite to Dr. Hunter's House of Medicine group where all your questions can be answered.

Purring for you, Mollie and the kittens.
Athena

Molly

Mommy of Four

Purred: Wed Jul 2, '08 6:47am PST 
Athena
TY so much for your response you are truly kind. I will be keeping Molly and the kittens until they get adopted at my home as the rescue has 100 adults and 40 kittens so I guess she is here for at least 10 weeks more., lol

I was wondering how long a cat is pregnant for is it the same as for a dog 60 days?.

Ty again
Tina
[notify]

♥- Suey- ♥

Loved

Purred: Wed Jul 2, '08 9:03am PST 
Hi Tina!
Bless you for taking Molly in to your home. Such acts of kindness really do make the world a better place. Molly is a very beautiful girl!

Make sure to feed Molly with kitten food. This will provide her with the extra nutrition and energy she needs while pregnant, and then nursing her babies. She will also need quiet, and warmth.

I don't have any experience with the birth process, but wanted to wish you lots of luck for the upcoming weeks! I hope you really enjoy itbig grin
[notify]

Priscilla- Purr-S-Ley

All hail the- Queen

Purred: Wed Jul 2, '08 1:00pm PST 
Just please make sure you get Molly and her kitten neuetred before you adopt them out, thjey can get fixed as young as 8 weeks just fine. Ask around about low-cost and free neutering services so that no matter what Molly or her kittens will never have to be pregnant on the streets again!
[notify]

Molly

Mommy of Four

Purred: Wed Jul 2, '08 4:34pm PST 
Ty both for your replies

Molly and her kittens will be fixed prior to adoption as the rescue that I contacted said they will be in charge of that as well as the adoption process.

I think she is approx 7 weeks pregnant based on when I first seen her on the street in heat. She has a round belly already but sure hope she has no problems giving birth. The vet is coming to pick up Mia my 6 month old JRT tomorrow as she is getting fixed and he said he will take a look at Molly to give her a look over and see how far he thinks she may be along.

I am trying to do my best with her but I have not had a cat in my home in 10 years let alone a pregnant cat, lol. Like I said I am only doing this because I could not stand seeing Molly abandoned like she was ,like A piece of garbage.

Ty all for your help you all re to kind
Love Tina and Molly
[notify]

Gin

Purred: Fri Oct 1, '10 7:39pm PST 
Wow this post is old I know, but I am trying to find research on how to be a good foster home. my 3 cats are 2 and 1 years old they are spayed and neutred and I came aware of the cat population by watching a documentary.

so I am trying to find my way of helping and I believe fostering would be my best way of helping. I have contacted some rescue groups and I am waiting for a reply to be a foster home.

I haven't experienced a pregnant birth but from experiencing my 3 cats they love height and warm places.

but I want to know how Molly is doing since this was from 2008.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Oct 2, '10 10:36am PST 
Hi Gin - welcome to the wonderful world of fostering! I came into it the same way you did - I saw Oprah's show on puppy mills and decided it was time to help in some way. My schedule doesn't allow for dogs so I walked into a local kitty rescue group and volunteered. I think the most difficult part for you will be how your cats handle the fosters. I ended up adopting two of my fosters (big surprise, huh?) but I'm fortunate in that they have no problems with other kitties coming in and out. They're pretty welcoming and get along with just about everyone.

The most important thing I can recommend is patience. There's always an adjustment period and some cats are harder than others. Keep a wide variety of food on hand because getting them to eat in the first day or two can be difficult. Keep some chicken in the freezer and some baby food in the cabinet for the hardest cases. Let them hide and come around at their own pace. It can be really difficult, but I can also say it's the most rewarding thing I've ever done. Good luck and feel free to post or pawmail with any questions!
[notify]