GO!

22 year old cat starting to pee in the house

Share advice for keeping your aging cat happy and healthy

Pablo

Is that a moth?- O_o

Purred: Thu Aug 14, '14 6:04pm PST 
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured I'd try with people who might be able to relate better. I have a 22 year old cat, he's been an indoor/outdoor cat up until he turned 20 (I've had him since he was a kitten so I know all his goofy behaviors and antics), because he was getting bullied by other outdoor cats due to his arthritis and he is a fight picker. So he has been an indoor cat for the last 2 years. His last checkup they told me they couldn't believe he was 22 because he has the body of a 13 year old (lol), however, he was doing great up until about 6 months ago.

For whatever reason, he is not using his litter box properly anymore, he is starting to pee on the floor, he picks a spot and sticks with it, but he is peeing on the floor none the less. He still goes poo in the box, but we just cannot seem to get him to pee in it, I am at a complete loss, has anyone else ever experienced this with an older cat? Any insight to what the problem might be? They tell me his kidneys are fine, etc. so I am just so frustrated, and I do not know what to do. We have sprayed all over the house the no-pee training spray and what not, but it's 20 bucks a bottle and only lasts under a week, and it still doesn't deter him from going in his "spot". Any, and I mean ANY insight, or tips on what I can do would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance! frown
[notify]

Shade

If your lap is- available, I'll- be there!

Purred: Thu Aug 14, '14 10:14pm PST 
Was he checked for a urinary tract infection? Do you have more than one litterbox? If not, try putting a second litterbox where he is peeing.

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Fri Aug 15, '14 9:57am PST 
It's Stella. This is almost always a urinary tract problem. It hurts when he goes and he has no other way of telling you, so he goes where he knows you will find it so you will know something is wrong. If it was various spots or hidden spots, then it might be dementia or weakness of the bladder muscles. He might need to go on a special food that will not irritate his bladder. We are purring for you! Wow, 22 years old! smile wave
[notify]

SKIDS KITTY- gone, never- forgot

lil human on 4- legs

Purred: Fri Aug 15, '14 7:34pm PST 
YOu said the vet check up was good not kidney issues? What about a UTI? One more thing is have then been any recent changes at all in the home? new person, person moved? or a new pet ? ANY change my vet said sometimes a kitty (and the behavior changes as they age sometimes) stresses with change and the stress is shown in several different ways one of which is litter box issues.
THe only time skids ever had an issues with her box, we found out she had a UTI.
Good luck I know how frustrating this can be.
[notify]

Pablo

Is that a moth?- O_o

Purred: Fri Aug 15, '14 9:48pm PST 
Thank you so much guys for the responses. I should have clarified, he does not have a UTI, he has been doing this for about 6 months, he has been to the vet twice in that time because I was concerned about his kidneys and the peeing issue, he was indeed checked for a UTI and does not have one, nor kidney problems. I suppose dementia could be an issue, but everything else he does is right on track with his personality, this is literally the only thing that I can see that is different. He is still very playful and doesn't seem to be in any pain. He isn't excessively licking himself or seeming depressed. He has a healthy appetite, his food has not been changed nor his environment, and no new people or pets have been added.
There is only one litterbox, so maybe I will try adding another, but this guy is a stubborn little thing so I'm not sure how that will work. He did go pee today in the box. I had scooted the box over his chosen spot, but I have done this before and it worked for a day or two. He seems to be very sporadic with this. I treat this cat like a human because I have known him since I was 6 years old lol, it is so frustrating because I feel like he should just tell me what is wrong! kitty
[notify]