GO!

I Don't Know What to do

Share advice for keeping your aging cat happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sprinkles- Ricardo- Blah-Blah

Queen of my- Double-Wide- Trailer.

Purred: Fri Jan 17, '14 11:13am PST 
My beautiful little boy, Sprinkles, (16th birthday in April) has to be put to sleep because of ulcerated oral cancer. He also has had hyperthyroidism for almost a year. He won't eat (he wants to badly), I haven't seen him drink today, and he was hiding under my desk until recently. He was given a steroid shot yesterday and we're giving him norepinephrine every 8-12 hours.

My question is, do I go in the room when he's at the vet? I ask because of the following:

We had to have Dusty put down when he was 5 years old because of renal failure. I was in the room, but my mom held him for the vet. I saw him out of the corner of my eye as he went to sleep. I still think about it. However, I wasn't as close to Dusty since he was more of a loner and had a temper. It was very hard on Mom and me.

I'm autistic, and Sprinkles is one of my constants. I've had him since I was 16 and he has always been "my cat." I carry him around, he follows me around, he sits on my mouse pad while I'm working, we share beef jerky (usually), and he sleeps above my head at bedtime.

I don't want to be traumatized more than I'm going to be, but I don't want to regret not being with him. I'm terrified. My mom won't be with me because she has cancer and the chemo is doing a real job on her and she is in the hospital right now. Obviously, she's my other constant. It's just my boyfriend (constant) and me when the time comes. I don't know what to do.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Fri Jan 17, '14 1:44pm PST 
This is Delyte. Go with him for the end. There are so many pros and cons on either side, but once he is gone you can't change your mind. Have your boyfriend go with you to help you, and hold your kitty to the end. Purrs! hugcat on moon
[notify]

Baby

i am a cutie- kitty

Purred: Fri Jan 17, '14 2:04pm PST 
Go, Go, Go with him. If you do not, you will regret it the rest of your life. Been there, done it with my doggy 17yrs ago, held her until the end. I do know it will hurt, but, it will hurt even more if you do not.

purrs
[notify]

Shannara

Biscuit Maker

Purred: Fri Jan 17, '14 10:28pm PST 
Sprinkles is so close to you, you need to be with him in his final minutes. He trusts you and is counting on you to be with him so he is not alone. A big part of being a caregiver is to be brave if the time comes that your cat has to be helped to the Rainbow Bridge. You need to be there for him to comfort him. Years ago it was common practice that the pet's owner did not stay and the pet was taken into the back room. Now I am so sorry that I wasn't with them in their final moments to tell them how much I loved them and they were not alone.
hug

Morganna

Mighty Huntress

Purred: Sat Jan 18, '14 6:22am PST 
I agree with what the others ahead of me have said. I have had numerous furkids sent to the Bridge, and I was with each one of them. Yes, it will hurt; there's no getting around that. Look at this way: if it were YOU leaving, would you want your most beloved person there to ease your fear? And after all the good that Sprinkles has done for you, devoting his entire life to you, don't you feel that you owe him this one last duty?

Be with him so that he knows you've not abandoned him when he needed you the most.

May Sprinkle's Creator bless you with the faith, the courage, and the strength you will need, and may He comfort you then, and lead your heart to peace.big hug
[notify]

Morganna

Mighty Huntress

Purred: Sat Jan 18, '14 6:22am PST 
I agree with what the others ahead of me have said. I have had numerous furkids sent to the Bridge, and I was with each one of them. Yes, it will hurt; there's no getting around that. Look at this way: if it were YOU leaving, would you want your most beloved person there to ease your fear? And after all the good that Sprinkles has done for you, devoting his entire life to you, don't you feel that you owe him this one last duty?

Be with him so that he knows you've not abandoned him when he needed you the most.

May Sprinkle's Creator bless you with the faith, the courage, and the strength you will need, and may He comfort you then, and lead your heart to peace.big hug
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Sat Jan 18, '14 1:12pm PST 
I have been in the situation both ways. Many years ago, I had to take my dog in, and I didn't think I could do it. They took him & walked out of the room with him - he was looking at me like "where am I going?" I regret that decision ALL the time. My last dog, I was there, I brought "his" blankie for him to lay on. We held him I petted him & told him how much I loved him and to thank him for growing up with my kids. I held him as he left this earth. It hurt alot, but I felt so much more at peace - he knew we were there. I think you will be thankful later if you choose to be with Sprinkles. THis way, the last person he sees is YOU, not a vet tech. Purrs for you and many huggs too.hughug
[notify]

Sprinkles- Ricardo- Blah-Blah

Queen of my- Double-Wide- Trailer.

Purred: Sun Jan 19, '14 6:51pm PST 
Thank you all so, so much. I am going to be there; I honestly don't think I couldn't be there after thinking about it because, as mentioned, he loves me and looks to me the most and I can't cut out at the last minute. He walks (kitty) miles just to follow me around the house when I'm doing chores and always wants me to pick him up when I return home from somewhere. I've read about trying to be strong so he won't be stressed at the vet's. I managed to do that with Mom (at least in front of her), so hopefully I can do the same for him. He will be going this week some time, so prayers and good thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you for sharing your stories.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Sun Jan 19, '14 10:04pm PST 
This is Delyte. We will be thinking of you and purring for you and waiting to receive Ricardo on the Bridge. What a sad time for you ... hug cat on moon
[notify]

♥Kall- y- Kat♥

☆Diva- on- Demand☆

Purred: Mon Jan 20, '14 7:04pm PST 
Please go in the room with him, he will hear & feel your presence & not feel all alone!

I did this for my 2 female cats who are now up at the bridge rainbowrainbow

I told them juss how much Mommy loves you & never will eva forget you!

You'll feel so much better for having you there & you won't ever regret it!

hug meditate

♥Love♥ is furever!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2