GO!

Box 2 Sedate 4 Tests-My Human's Afraid

Share advice for keeping your aging cat happy and healthy

Purred: Sat Nov 30, '13 2:04pm PST 
I'm a 17. I've been loosing weight, gotten picky with my food and have been vomiting more than my human thinks is normal. But I have a bit of 'Wild' cat in me. So they can't draw blood the usual way. Vet wants to box and gas me down so they can do exam and draw blood, etc. My human is terrified I will have some type of heart attack or stroke in the box. Human is also afraid I might not take the anesthesia very well, since I'm in my 80's in human years. Anyone ever heard of a kitty dying while being gassed in one of those boxes? I've had dental work done in the past, so I've gone down before, but it's been more than 10 years now.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Mon Dec 2, '13 12:53pm PST 
This is Delyte. I was 18 when I went to the Bridge, and the main cause of my death was infected teeth. My person had been afraid to have me put under to work on my teeth for some years. She is sorry now, as I could still be with her. [I'd still have hypothyroid and CRF but I might be there.] I don't know what to tell your person except that she is sorry that she did not try. It sounds like you might have something serious wrong, so getting that blood draw might be pretty important.

It does happen that older cats die from sedation, But some of us old guys are pretty tough. My departure to the Bridge was marred by my body's effort to throw off the effects of the chemicals that they gave me. So in retrospect I probably could have been sedated and gotten through it okay. I was not very wild, however, and had previously had a very long serious operation, so I had a good track record. So it is different for you.

Whatever your person decides, we are all purring for you. cat on moon
[notify]

Lady

the queen

Purred: Mon Dec 2, '13 7:22pm PST 
I had the same thing with lady, could not draw blood, had to sedate her, but, she was ten at the time. we understand what your going thru. unless, they plan on doing anything major, your kitty should be under for 5-10 minutes, thats how long lady was under. all they did was draw blood, check teeth, quick look over, got her back up. check with your vet, see how long kitty will be under, and go from there. check out ladys video, shots and attempting to draw blood

purrs

Lady
[notify]

Purred: Wed Dec 4, '13 6:22pm PST 
Okay. I made the appointment to take her in for the box sedation to do the exams and lab work. I spoke to a friend of mine who suggested I ask them about Xrays while she's under. I bought a mini-chopper to grind food up. I thought I could get her to eat a little more. That's one of the problems, her eating is very touchy. She sniffs around when we have dinner looking for stuff we drop, but when I try to entice her with can food sometimes she gobbles it up, sometimes turns her nose at it. My husband thinks it's getting out of hand... at any one time we have a 4 different cans in the fridge. And of course, a lot of it I end up tossing because it's been sitting too long. Sometimes she'll eat practically the whole can. I've tried ALOT of different top brands, and a few bottom one's too. Fish, duck, turkey, beef, chicken. You name it, I've tried it. Food has never been an issue with her in the past.

P.S. I know it's selfish... Christmas is around the corner. Part of me wants to wait to do the boxing. Another part feels I've already waited too long and she needs to be looked at now, or I just accept the fact that I will loose her soon. She can't loose any more weight.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Dec 4, '13 10:15pm PST 
This is Delyte. Have you tried baby food? It was something I liked when I didn't want anything else. Get the kind that are meat with no onion or garlic. If it is her teeth, chopping up the food and putting it in broth will help. Good luck to you!
[notify]

Purred: Wed Dec 11, '13 10:51am PST 
We are HOME!!! Kitty now weighs 6.4lbs. Oh so skinny. But xray was clear of any lumps or any problem seen from an xray. No ultra sound machine at this clinic. Teeth looked fairly good for a 17 year old kitty. They took off some tarter while she was under. We are waiting for results of blood work. Dr. hopes that will tell us what is going on and get us some meds. I want to feed her now, but vet says she may be nauseous from gas, so I have to wait 1 and half to 2 hours to give her anything. Husband says I look far more stressed than she does.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Dec 11, '13 11:10am PST 
This is Delyte. Congratulations! We are so happy she came through the gas with no problems, and her tests were good. Try her on soft goods and tasty things she might like. Sometimes the gas makes us sick to our stomach, but if it didn't, she should be hungry. But her teeth might be a little sore if they scraped them.

We are so happy for you! You are braver than my person was, and I hope you have some more years of happy life ahead! happy dance snoopy applause hamster dance cat on moon
[notify]