My Edison's going to Heaven tomorrow.

Share advice for keeping your aging cat happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Edison The- Angel

With love from- Mommy: 1995 - 2013

Purred: Wed Sep 25, '13 1:03pm PST 
Hi, everyone.

I know I haven't been around here much, but you've all been wonderful to me when I've stopped in.

My Edison has lived a long, mostly healthy life, and he's now 18 years old. I've had him since he was 5 months old, so I've had him for 17 1/2 years. When he was 13, he was diagnosed with elevated kidney and liver levels, and also has a hyper-thyroid condition. He's been on meds the past five years, and they worked up to a point, but not anymore. In the past few months, they're no longer stabalizing his conditions, and the thyroid condition is just wasting him away.

We had bloodwork done a couple of weeks ago, and it's showing that he's in kidney and liver failure. His back legs have been very wobbly the past couple of days, and the vet said that's a sign that his kidneys are going. So tomorrow at 11:30 AM, I'll be taking my sweet boy to be put out of his misery. He has plenty of kitty and doggy cousins in Heaven who are waiting for him, so he'll be loved and have plenty of company. My beloved brother, who we lost 10 years ago, always loved cats, and will be waiting for him as well. And my wonderful dad - who we just lost 2 1/2 weeks ago (so yeah, it's been a horrible month) - will be waiting for him too.

I'm sure I'll be looking for another kitty to give my love to in the future. But right now all I can think of is how I'm going to even walk back into that apartment, knowing that he's not just being boarded, or not just having his teeth cleaned for a few hours. I'm going to walk back into my home, knowing that the baby who gave me nothing but unconditional love for 17 1/2 years won't be there ever again. My heart is breaking into a million pieces as I type this.

Thank you all for listening, and say a little prayer that his journey is peaceful tomorrow morning.

Love,

Lisa and Edison

Edited by author Wed Sep 25, '13 1:05pm PST

[notify]

sydney

stranger danger

Purred: Wed Sep 25, '13 1:21pm PST 
hang in there
[notify]

Muffy

You Can Never- Have To Many- Hugs & Rubs

Purred: Wed Sep 25, '13 4:48pm PST 
Sending so many hugs for you and Edison...hug
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Wed Sep 25, '13 8:48pm PST 
This is Delyte. We will welcome you on the Bridge tomorrow when you arrive and purr for your very sad family who loved you and want to spare you any more pain. My sad family will grieve along with them, because we know how hard it is to lose a family member. Giant sad purrs to all ... cat on moon
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Thu Sep 26, '13 8:14am PST 
Sending you lots of hugs and purrs! hug
[notify]

Edison The- Angel

Purred: Thu Sep 26, '13 10:25am PST 
Thank you all so much. I'm home now, and the apartment is so empty without him. I keep expecting him to walk out of the bathroom or that I'll hear him climb up onto the sofa, and he's just not there.

But I also have to remember that he was 18, and I was lucky enough to have him for 17 1/2 years. And I know I'll get another kitty to transfer my love to, but right now, I still just miss my baby.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for being there.

Love,

Lisa
[notify]

Munch- (R.I.P.)

SuperMunch - to the rescue!!

Purred: Thu Sep 26, '13 1:20pm PST 
Hugs and head-butts for you...have no fear, Edison and I are froliking around like crazy up here and totally pain free! smile

Edison loves you so much and he's so grateful for all the tender loving care you gave him for so many years. little angel
[notify]

Edison The- Angel

Purred: Fri Sep 27, '13 7:11am PST 
I just wanted to post again to thank you all so much for your kind responses, for the lovely notes and poems many of you have sent to me, and for the lovely hearts, stars, angels and candles you've sent for my Edison. You're all such wonderful people, and I know I'm not too certain about how to work the forums and the notes just yet, but you all have my gratitude and my friendship for good, that's a promise.

It was a bit of a tough morning. I woke up today and for the first time in 17 1/2 years, he wasn't laying on top of me, batting me with his paw to feed him. That was hard, but I'm just keeping busy. That endless cycle of cleaning the apartment, which I know deep down inside, is to get the home ready for the next kitty, after I've mourned for Edison. It may be sooner than later - I can't go without having a pet for long. I'll be 50 in November, and I've not ever been without a pet from the time I was 10 years old, so this is foreign to me. But it doesn't feel right just yet, you know?

Thank you all for being there and thank you for listening.

Much love,

Lisa
[notify]

RADDY (my- heart's- darling)

I am still my- Meouwmy's- Beloved....

Purred: Sat Sep 28, '13 3:35am PST 
Dear Lisa...we've all been through it...and it is hard....but hang on in there...and perhaps, just perhaps Edison will tap a little kitten or a needy grown cat on the shoulder and say: 'Here's your new Meouwmy'....

Purrs from us all.....

Jan
[notify]

Noodles

Purred: Sat Sep 28, '13 7:16pm PST 
I am so, so sorry for your loss. I lost my cat in March, and still cry daily for him. Getting a new kitty 3 weeks later was just what the doctor ordered-it was too hard to be without that kind of love for any longer. Good luck in choosing your next fur baby. Update us when you do.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2