GO!

how can people just throw a cat away b/c they are old

Share advice for keeping your aging cat happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Noel -(in- loving- Memory)

Purred: Wed Feb 13, '13 5:32pm PST 
My name is Noel - currently I am in the Miami/Dade animal shelter - a Kill shelter (a mean one at that) Tomorrow I am being adopted - but not by my owner, by a foster mom.

I was dumped because I am 16. I will be at my mommy's house on Saturday (the foster mom has arranged transport from Miami to Kissimmee thu the Underground Railroad Rescue Kitty Network)

Mommy thought it was mean and no one else wanted me b/c I was old and black.

I am very friendly and loving so why was I thrown away?
[notify]

Stephano

Purred: Wed Feb 13, '13 6:27pm PST 
Aww Noel, you poor little sweetheart! I am a black kitty too. My mommy found me on December 7th, in the woods behind the preschool she works at. I was dumped, along with my brother, along with two cans of cat food. My bro got a great home and mommy took me home to foster me, but she fell madly in love with me, because I am the ultimate lap cat lover boy, so she decided to keep me. People were actually fighting over me after they saw how affectionate I was, but mommy said "nope, he is mine!" I think that is really sad that you were thrown away cry Mommy said that if someone was to do that to me, that I probably did not have the best life anyway, so it's probably good that you are not with that family any more. I don't know what it is about black cats, the people who took my brother were anti-black cat people....they did not want a black cat. But after meeting my brother, and seeing how awesome a pet he was, they are now the BIGGEST fan of black cats ever! I'm so sorry that you were dumped by some sucky, horrible people, but I think things will be ok for you. You just need a warm bed to curl up on, a sunny rug to lay on in front of the window and enjoy your retirement years. I know you will be loved by your foster mommy, she sounds like the most wonderful mommy ever. Oh, and my mom said to tell you, we already had 2 cats and a doberman and a feral cat that we feed outside, and she did NOT want another cat, as much as she loves cats, but since I chose her, she just could not turn me away, and there was no option but to keep me. I hope you warm up to your foster mom soon and snuggle up on her lap and make her feel loved, because it is a pretty awesome thing that she did, taking you in.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Feb 13, '13 6:46pm PST 
TY! I am looking forward tho to being in Kissimee w/ Zeus, Thor, Ivy and all the rest of the kitties!. My new mommy has spoken w/ the foster mom - who is very glad to be taking me out of the kill shelter. I don't wanna warm up to her too much as I will only be with her on Thursday and Friday! My new mommy will spoil me rotten! her other babies are very much loved. I am gonna get soft food for a while until I get used to the place
[notify]

Angel Hallie- (5-15-96/11-- 7-12)

Please consider- adopting an- older cat!

Purred: Wed Feb 13, '13 10:05pm PST 
It makes me SO mad when I see old cats dumped in shelters. I don't see how someone can just dump a pet companion that they've had 8 years or longer. I've adopted a number of older cats from shelters over the years. I'm one who will go to a shelter looking for the least adoptable cat, the oldest ones, the ones that have been in the shelter longest, and adopt those that might otherwise not get a home. I've adopted a number of cats 8 years old & older over the years, including a few whose ages were stated as 8 to 10 but whose ages were found upon vet exam to actually be a few years older than their claimed ages.

I think some people have a "WalMart" philosophy when it comes to pets. They purchase or adopt a pet, take it home, turn it loose in the house, and expect it to instantly behave perfectly and be exactly what they want it to be just as you buy something from WalMart, take it out of the package and expect it to immediately function as you want it to, with little or no effort from the human. Then when the living animal being fails to function like the person expects it to, instead of putting any effort into making things work, the person just returns it to the shelter/breeder/person they got it from just as a person returns a product to WalMart if it doesn't work perfectly straight out of the box.
[notify]

Beepers

Father of- champions!

Purred: Wed Feb 13, '13 10:08pm PST 
I don't know how people can do that, but maybe there was some good reason they could no longer take care of you. frown Congratulations on your new home, though, and best of luck on your trip! My mom got to help a kitty get to her new home on the Underground Railroad Rescued Kitty Network last summer. We'll keep track of your trip this weekend.
[notify]

Kiki

You... Treats...- Now...

Purred: Wed Feb 13, '13 10:24pm PST 
I'm an older cat and mom couldn't imagine life without me! The golden years are the best! Its a shame people think they can just dump a pet at a shelter due to age. We deserve love and care too!
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Thu Feb 14, '13 2:33am PST 
I'm in Orlando, not far from Kissimmee, so welcome, and I hope Central Florida will be a better experience than Miami. smile
[notify]

Irma Thomas

Purred: Thu Feb 14, '13 9:35am PST 
Noel: Our meomwy cried when she read how you had been left at a shelter. But then cried with happiness to see you have adopted a wonderful person!! We don't know why people dump an animal at a shelter, just because they are old. Pets are not "disposable", we need humans no matter how old we are. Right now there are two black cats in our family, me and my older sisfur Emma Barrett. Emma and her Angel Brother Louis Armstrong adopted our meowmy in May, 2007. They had been dumped outside a vet's office (thank goodness it was a 24/7 ER clinic), and they were only two months old. Meowmy's sister was a good friend of the vet, and meowmy was looking to be adopted by more cats after she lost four in Hurricane Katrina. When she got the call from her sister, her sister said "Oh, by the way they are Black cats"....Meowmy said "I don't care, I just need kitties in my new home." Sadly we lost Louie in April, 2012 to a heart condition. He was six.

Bless your new meowmy and all humans who rescue and/or foster cats (and dogs). We know there will be many, many, cats and dogs who will greet them at the Rainbow Bridge when their work here on Earth is done.

The New Orleans Kitties

P.S. We think the poster who mentioned the "Wal-Mart syndrome" is very right....wavehappy dance
[notify]

Tia

Tia the- Terrific!

Purred: Fri Feb 15, '13 11:19pm PST 
Love the "Wal Mart syndrome" quote as well. It makes sense. I have friends that are like that! Let me tell you, I will never ask them to ever watch my furbabies for me! I'd be afraid I'd find them on craigslist or something.

Noel it's so good that you have a foster mom! My best friend's cat is almost 16 years old and to see her move around you wouldn't think so! I hate when people dump animals for any reason...after all they didn't ask to be put in that situation!
[notify]

Purred: Sat Feb 16, '13 1:24am PST 
well I leave my foster mom in the morning and head to my real mom real early in the morning!!! I meet her at 11 am!!!!! I know my mommy is excited!!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3